ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Fixing the Radio LCD

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-10, 08:53 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

junkyard is where i would head
Old 01-28-10, 08:51 PM
Spimley
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great thread, was very helpful for a DIY newbie.
replaced 98 this afternoon, took about 1.2 hours and that included a snafu, was swapping faceplates in this case.
many thanks also to lexusaudio for digging up the part for me !
Great site
Old 03-31-10, 12:53 PM
rmahbub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks and More help needed

Guys thanks a lot.
I folllowed the direction and I was done within an hour or so on my '98 ES300.
Now after everything is done I am facing another issue. I guess I screwed up the antenna connection and thats why my radio [FM/AM] is not getting any signal and not working.
Before repeating the process of taking out the radio I just wanted to get your advice on that. May be there are other ways to do that or may be that was not the cause of my AM/FM not working.
Any idea?

Thanks,
Old 05-25-10, 02:46 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Wow thanks a lot Woogie!!! I just put the new screen in today and it looks great

But the bulbs for the radio are burnt out Does anyone know the part number to the board in which the bulbs are soldered onto?
It's a pioneer system and the car is a 98 ES300

Thanks
Old 05-27-10, 08:07 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Thumbs down

no one knows..Has no one changed the circuit board? ..I guess almost everyone is rolling with burnt out bulbs because I know I'm not the only one!!
Old 06-29-10, 07:38 PM
PDXLex
Driver

Thanks a bunch Woogie! I changed my completely blacked out screen to factory condition in less than an hour! Bought the part from http://Parts.PioneerElectronics.com for $117.40 shipped. It's so nice to see all the info on the screen again
Old 06-29-10, 07:40 PM
PDXLex
Driver

Originally Posted by JamesBond1
Wow thanks a lot Woogie!!! I just put the new screen in today and it looks great

But the bulbs for the radio are burnt out Does anyone know the part number to the board in which the bulbs are soldered onto?
It's a pioneer system and the car is a 98 ES300

Thanks
I'm with ya JamesBond1! I've changed every replaceable twist-on bulb on the climate control and stereo, but still have a bunch of soldered bulbs that are burnt out. I'd love to fix those and have that full on beautiful night-time glow!
Old 07-19-10, 09:57 AM
markgama
Driver School Candidate

can you tell me where the screw on bulbs are for the radio,i have a '97 es 300 with factory radio? if you have a diagram would be great.
Old 07-19-10, 12:13 PM
cu2cool
Driver School Candidate

I replaced my LCD about a year ago with one bought from partstore.com, and it's already starting to die out. Some of the lines are gone leaving some unfinished digits (looks like hieroglyphics). Just a heads up to watch out for.
Old 09-07-10, 05:36 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know if replacing the LCD will fix my burnt out back light bulb. Just last week on my 98 Nakamichi radio, that on the left side of the LCD screen that the back light bulb has gone out. The right side is fine, just the left side, no other issues with the buttons or anything else. Just wondering if I replace the LCD, will that resolve the issue with the burnt out back light bulb or is there another way to fix the burnt out bulb? Thanks.
Old 09-07-10, 06:04 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Yes. By replacing the LCD screen you will also be replacing the bulbs behind, which lights up the LCD screen (I'm talking about the LCD screen ONLY and not the bulbs that light up the numbers, treb, bass, bal, etc. etc.)... I recently changed my LCD screen and noticed that the bulbs are soldered in and the new LCD comes with new bulbs already soldered in it.

BUT I'm not sure if the replacement LCD screen, mentioned on here, is the same as the 98 Nakamichi radio...I don't have the Nakamichi, so I'm not sure...

You can always soldered out the burnt out bulb and soldered a new one in its place but I'm not sure which bulb is correct.
Old 09-08-10, 04:41 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesBond1
Yes. By replacing the LCD screen you will also be replacing the bulbs behind, which lights up the LCD screen (I'm talking about the LCD screen ONLY and not the bulbs that light up the numbers, treb, bass, bal, etc. etc.)... I recently changed my LCD screen and noticed that the bulbs are soldered in and the new LCD comes with new bulbs already soldered in it.

BUT I'm not sure if the replacement LCD screen, mentioned on here, is the same as the 98 Nakamichi radio...I don't have the Nakamichi, so I'm not sure...

You can always soldered out the burnt out bulb and soldered a new one in its place but I'm not sure which bulb is correct.
Cool, thanks for the info. Yes, its the bulb(s) on the left side of the LCD, everything else lights up fine. Thanks bro.
Old 09-08-10, 06:23 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

No problem, good luck!
Old 01-26-11, 10:38 AM
fxexplorer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear Woogie,

Many kind thanks for posting these clear, pictorial instructions for replacing a failed LCD!!!

I replaced it on my 1998 Lexus ES300 in 1hr & 20 min. This is the first time I worked on a car and it went smoothly, except that I lost one bolt--it fell into the hole beneath the A/C console. It is such joy to have a working LCD so that I can actually see which CD or radio station is playing.

Some of my local dealers do not know that just this part is replaceable. They consider the radio a sealed unit. One dealer quoted me $2,000 for a new radio! I spent hours searching for alternative solutions until I came across this information, first as reference to your post and than finally your original post.

Thank you, thank you, again and again, for passing on this info!!

Best wishes to you.
The following users liked this post:
Alexus17 (07-13-23)
Old 01-27-11, 09:37 AM
vdubill
Driver School Candidate

I fixed my LCD like this a couple of years ago, and the the stupid thing went out again after a year. Pioneer doesnt make these things well. I ended up just getting an aftermarket radio with a lot more features.

Quick Reply: Fixing the Radio LCD