ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: 4ES or 5ES? Same price
4ES for me still
3.03%
2007 5ES for me please
63.64%
I am/would go to an IS now
13.64%
I would go to a GS 300 now
10.61%
Wouldn't leave my ES yet, not convicing enough
9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

2007 vs 2006 ES

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-06, 09:30 PM
LexFather

Post 2007 vs 2006 ES

So, would u buy a 4ES or 5ES side by side, for the same price?

Or with Lexus new offerings, go to an IS or GS 300.
Old 02-11-06, 10:10 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm really looking forward to seeing the vehicle here in April. The room and comfort features alone is enough to persuade anyone with good financial sense to go with the 5ES.
Personally, I'm 99% of the way there.
Old 02-12-06, 01:22 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Oh why even ask the question?
Anything about the gen7 camry plaform > anything about the gen6 camry platform.
Anything about the gen5 ES > anything about the gen4 ES

AFA swapping vehicles, that's a different debate entirely. The IS & GS do not play the same game the ES does.
Old 02-12-06, 09:09 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

give me and AWD ES and I trade up today.

steviej
Old 02-12-06, 10:04 AM
bpv12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very nice upgrades on the 2007 ES

Overall I like the car, I think Lexus is making a very nice offering with this new ES. It's staying on par with the power and safety features (in some instances surpasses) and will probably continue to be dominant in this class. However some of the styling cues seem a bit soft. I'm not really feeling the front end, it looks very weak. Tell me if I'm wrong but I think those headlights represent something more of what you see on a camry. I dont know, I guess i'm thinking I would have to go with the germans (benz, bmw) if I want overall exterior styling.
Old 02-12-06, 10:16 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

I'll take a new generation ES.......but not a first year production one however. I want to see what issues & gremlins they have........as with every new model vehicle......there will be some.
Old 02-12-06, 10:27 AM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bpv12
Tell me if I'm wrong but I think those headlights represent something more of what you see on a camry. I dont know, I guess i'm thinking I would have to go with the germans (benz, bmw) if I want overall exterior styling.
On the styling front I would have to agree. Give me a 530i with the engine and suspension of the ES350 and I'm set. But in a real world sense, I think Lexus did an adequate job of differentiating the ES350 and it will sell well.
Old 02-12-06, 12:44 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Absolutely hate the interior on the new ES. They really screwed the pooch here.

Here are my top beefs as a two-time ES buyer:
1. The 2007 still(!) looks too close to a Camry-they must differentiate better.
2. The "***** dashboard" is worse than anything Chris Bangle could come up with.
3. Where's the wood?

Things I like to be fair:
1. Exterior, especially front and back views.
2. Stereo improvements.
3. Panoramic roof.
4. Power upgrade (but still want more if only a performance option).

I am going for more speed anyway...leaning to either an IS or GS or possibly even a BMW next. The new LS is also mighty tempting.
Old 02-12-06, 05:49 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by yESman
Absolutely hate the interior on the new ES. They really screwed the pooch here.

Here are my top beefs as a two-time ES buyer:
1. The 2007 still(!) looks too close to a Camry-they must differentiate better.
2. The "***** dashboard" is worse than anything Chris Bangle could come up with.
3. Where's the wood?

Things I like to be fair:
1. Exterior, especially front and back views.
2. Stereo improvements.
3. Panoramic roof.
4. Power upgrade (but still want more if only a performance option).

I am going for more speed anyway...leaning to either an IS or GS or possibly even a BMW next. The new LS is also mighty tempting.
272 HP isn't enough? It's a front driver! I almost think it's too much power (so if let's say the IS 350 can do a 0 - 60 time in under 6 seconds & the new ES can do it within a second of that.......you can get to your destination 1 second faster?) lmao. The ES is a enrty level Lux car, not a high performance sports sedan......your not comparing apples to apples when you mention the IS, GS, LS or BMW in relation to the ES.

You mention that the new ES still looks too much like the new Camry, yet you state you like the way the car looks from the front & back end? Well which is it? If anything, the front end looks like th Acura RL, not the Camry & the back end has a TSX theme to it.

I agree with the dash however......not sure what they were thinking for the middle part & I'll take a regular moonroof over the glass roof personally.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 02-12-06 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 12:09 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Sigh. The new ES doens't look any more, or less like a Camry than any other version has.
And why not have more than 270bhp on a front wheel drive car. The more the merrier. They came up with throttle control so you don't have to use it if you don't want to LoL!

A 300bhp stock camry would have less torque steer than any Maxima from the last 10 years. it'd get it on the road with less hop too.
Old 02-13-06, 01:35 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Sigh. The new ES doens't look any more, or less like a Camry than any other version has.
And why not have more than 270bhp on a front wheel drive car. The more the merrier. They came up with throttle control so you don't have to use it if you don't want to LoL!

A 300bhp stock camry would have less torque steer than any Maxima from the last 10 years. it'd get it on the road with less hop too.
I'm sure in 2 - 3 model years the new ES will have close that that amount of HP.......it's always increased over time.
Old 02-13-06, 07:59 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

The new ES doens't look any more, or less like a Camry than any other version has.
Let me clarify my point...I wanted it to be MORE different than the Camry. The Lexus line needs to be distinct - you don't want styling cues that remind people of its corporate Toyota heritage. The brand has to be special and luxurious.

No, at nearly $40K loaded, the ES must have the same performance as a BMW 3 Series so that requires adding in enough horsepower to get to a 6 second 0-60. 7 seconds does not cut it anymore. That extra second feels a lot different if only a second as any sports driver will tell you.
Old 02-13-06, 10:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

The new one no doubt

You can find some styling cues similar to the new Camry, but the new ES looks much more upscale, this will be even more evident when you see them side by side in person.
Old 02-13-06, 10:37 AM
dp5
Driver

I disagree about the ES needing enough horsepower to complete with the 3 series. The 3 series is BMW's only entry level sedan so it must be fast with a firm suspension to be consistent with their company philosophy of producing these types of vehicles.

Lexus has two entry level sedans; the ES and IS. The IS is the sports version and the ES is a luxury cruiser. If you make the ES more like the BMW 3 series, you will turn off the drivers who do not want a performance vehicle for whatever reason. With two distinct entry level cars, Lexus can satisfy car buyers who want an emphasis on either luxury or performance.
Old 02-13-06, 12:40 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

If you make the ES more like the BMW 3 series, you will turn off the drivers who do not want a performance vehicle for whatever reason.
Hmmm, not really. Just offer a performance package on the ES plus the IS 350 would still be a good bit faster. The G35 is also fast...doesn't Lexus want the ES to compete with that car as well? Both similar price points and four door versions...

Lexus can satisfy car buyers who want an emphasis on either luxury or performance.
But I want both.

Quick Reply: 2007 vs 2006 ES