ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Transmission Fix for 2005 ES

Old 04-02-05, 10:45 PM
nonlinear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fix for 2005 ES

I've read elsewhere that there is a new TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that addresses the reprogramming of the 2005 ES330 transmission to eliminate the lag. Does anyone have any information about it?
Old 04-03-05, 06:01 AM
BruteSBC
Driver School Candidate

firms up shifts, gotta be reprogrammed by a dealership, they will only do it if you complain about it, other than that they will not do it by themselfs
Old 04-03-05, 06:49 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is this the same bogus "computer flash fix" they tried to do on the 2002-2003 ES shift lag?

steviej
Old 04-03-05, 08:34 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

is this the same bogus "computer flash fix" they tried to do on the 2002-2003 ES shift lag?
Most likely!
Old 04-03-05, 09:43 AM
BruteSBC
Driver School Candidate

its ashame you think its bogus....but each to his own i guess
Old 04-03-05, 12:37 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BruteSBC
its ashame you think its bogus....but each to his own i guess
Lexus transmission computer flashes NEVER corrected the biggest problem in the past which would be shifting hesitation........so that's why steviej & I feel that this will not address this problem. We, as well as many other owners have been burned in the past with their BS fixes.
Old 04-03-05, 08:54 PM
BruteSBC
Driver School Candidate

........ok..........
Old 04-03-05, 09:54 PM
JKashat
Lead Lap

Will this work on my '04 Sport Design ES 330?
Old 04-03-05, 10:38 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Will this work on my '04 Sport Design ES 330?
Doubtful, but if you have the dealer do this "upgrade", you can't return the transmission computer back to the way it was originally. In other words, it's irreversable, so if you don't like it you're stuck, unless you want to buy a new computer.
Old 04-04-05, 07:59 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

went to the dealer today and they said they knew nothing about a hesistation problem in the 2005 es, so as far as they were concerned there was never a tsb bulletin out to fix this problem
Old 04-16-05, 03:54 PM
nonlinear
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission Fix for 2005 ES 330

Well, I continued searching and here is what I found at http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05102/486687.stm. However, I still can't find the corresponding TSB.

Toyota: Software may ease problems
Company addresses 'hesitation' concerns
Tuesday, April 12, 2005
By Don Hammonds, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Toyota has announced computer software upgrades that it says should help eliminate hesitation problems in five-speed automatic transmissions in 2002 to 2005 models, a company spokesman said.

The upgrades produce "incremental improvement in shift quality," spokesman Wade Hoyt said. The problem may still exist for some owners, and the company continues to work on other fixes, he added.

Hoyt said the hesitation problem was not considered a safety issue or defect, and that there have been no reported accidents related to it.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration last July closed a five-month investigation into the problem after having looked into the transmission's throttle control and finding nothing wrong with it.

That probe was separate from another potential investigation that the NHTSA, citing a high volume of e-mails and telephone calls prompted by stories in the Post-Gazette early this year, said it may undertake after looking further into the matter.

The latest concerns came to light when the Post-Gazette reported on troubles that McMurray resident Timothy W. Farabaugh was having with his 2004 Lexus ES330. The vehicle didn't respond immediately when his wife pressed the accelerator while trying to merge into traffic, causing her to narrowly avoid an accident.

It became clear the problem was widespread when other readers who saw the story reported the same problems. The paper continues to receive letters and e-mails from around the world complaining about the malady.

The problems have been reported in all of the Toyota and Lexus products that have the five-speed automatic transmission, including the 2002 to 2004 Lexus ES300 and ES330 and certain models of the Toyota Highlander and Lexus RX330 sport-utility vehicles.

Toyota and Lexus owners who decide to try the latest computer upgrade should know that the repair work will be covered under the cars' federal emissions warranty for eight years or 80,000 miles from the original sales date, so it should be free for all but the highest mileage cars, Hoyt said.

"The job takes about an hour, but a vehicle may have to be left longer than that, depending on the dealership's work schedule," he said.
Old 04-16-05, 08:10 PM
CarsFreak
Driver School Candidate

God I hate drive-by-wires.

A fix proposed by a member of SiennaClub suggested disconnecting the battery resetting the computer and driving the car like you stole it for a day and it should work fine.

For me, it actually worked pretty well and it seems smoother. Maybe worth a try.
Old 04-17-05, 11:12 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by nonlinear
Well, I continued searching and here is what I found at http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05102/486687.stm. However, I still can't find the corresponding TSB.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Toyota has announced computer software upgrades that it says should help eliminate hesitation problems in five-speed automatic transmissions in 2002 to 2005 models, a company spokesman said.

The upgrades produce "incremental improvement in shift quality," spokesman Wade Hoyt said. The problem may still exist for some owners, and the company continues to work on other fixes, he added.

Hoyt said the hesitation problem was not considered a safety issue or defect, and that there have been no reported accidents related to it.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration last July closed a five-month investigation into the problem after having looked into the transmission's throttle control and finding nothing wrong with it.

That probe was separate from another potential investigation that the NHTSA, citing a high volume of e-mails and telephone calls prompted by stories in the Post-Gazette early this year, said it may undertake after looking further into the matter.

The latest concerns came to light when the Post-Gazette reported on troubles that McMurray resident Timothy W. Farabaugh was having with his 2004 Lexus ES330. The vehicle didn't respond immediately when his wife pressed the accelerator while trying to merge into traffic, causing her to narrowly avoid an accident.

It became clear the problem was widespread when other readers who saw the story reported the same problems. The paper continues to receive letters and e-mails from around the world complaining about the malady.

The problems have been reported in all of the Toyota and Lexus products that have the five-speed automatic transmission, including the 2002 to 2004 Lexus ES300 and ES330 and certain models of the Toyota Highlander and Lexus RX330 sport-utility vehicles.

Toyota and Lexus owners who decide to try the latest computer upgrade should know that the repair work will be covered under the cars' federal emissions warranty for eight years or 80,000 miles from the original sales date, so it should be free for all but the highest mileage cars, Hoyt said.

"The job takes about an hour, but a vehicle may have to be left longer than that, depending on the dealership's work schedule," he said.
It's only the cars in the U.S. not Canada because of emission regulations between the two countries. Weird.
Old 04-18-05, 07:51 AM
obsidianr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nonlinear

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Attached is the updated TSB which includes the 2005 ES330.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tc004.pdf (46.2 KB, 575 views)
Old 04-18-05, 08:28 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

then that TSB won't do a thing for the hesitation!!!!

It will only remove the joggle that happens when the tranny goes hunting for 4th when cruising at 40 mph.

oh well, same ole same ole.

steviej

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Fix for 2005 ES