ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

spiral max??? ever heard of it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-01, 10:09 PM
ramsee1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

So in my quest for performance mods I came across this website spriralmax.com It's supposed to be bolt on horsepower... sounds too good to be true though. I've never heard of adding 30-40 horses for under 100 bucks. Thoughts/ideas anyone?
Old 05-28-01, 07:57 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default I'm Skeptical

Never heard of it before. And it just doesn't seem reasonable to me to add what looks like a non-moving fan blade to the air intake and get a power increase.

They claim:
Typical range of improvement over baseline is:
0 to 35 increase in horsepower,
0 to 31.85% increase in fuel economy.

So, if you achieve no gain it's in the typical range. Feels like a scam to me.

"If it sounds too good to be true it probably is."
Old 05-28-01, 05:15 PM
ramsee1
Pole Position

Red face indeed

you make a good point, Marty that 0 is in their acceptable range. They do offer a money back guarantee however. I would guess once the car is moving, the fans would function much like that of a pinwheel. I am skeptical as well but if someone came to me and said hey this metal intake pipe will give you 7 more horsepower and no one had one yet I would be skeptical to that as well. Would anyone spend 80 dollars to find out???
Old 05-29-01, 07:16 PM
ramsee1
Pole Position

Default oh i see

just went to flipside909's website... they don't recommend it!
Old 05-30-01, 07:11 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: oh i see

Originally posted by ramsee1
just went to flipside909's website... they don't recommend it!
What, where is flipside909's website? Never heard of it.
Old 05-30-01, 07:34 AM
ramsee1
Pole Position

Talking here you go

TeamSC3-Founding Member
info@teamsc3.com
1MZ-FE V6 Power!

Southern California Camry Club
www.teamsc3.com
Old 05-31-01, 04:11 AM
flyguy

Haha...yeah thats a scam. Im in a club for explorers and we have been meaning to get one of these to report the power losses using them. All they can possibly do it restrict airflow to the engine. Plus... if its not a supercharger or a turbo, you wont see anything close to 30% increase with ANY mod.

nick
Old 05-31-01, 07:44 AM
ramsee1
Pole Position

Thumbs down scams

flyguy... you should give the guy a call... he's funny. I talked to an "investor" of spiral max. He recommended for the ES that I put four of them in my intake for maximum h.p. gain. teee heeeee (laughing maniacally as the world finds out this thing really works)
Old 05-31-01, 12:03 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Try the E-ram

This looks stupid, I wonder if those propeller tow hitch covers you see on the back of those Chevy trucks add horsepower too. Oh yah and if you put on the spiralmax decal on your window you are guaranteed 5 more hp! Well check it out, if you want true horsepower you have to pay for it, we all know that. Check out the E-ram! Its the same idea done way before this web site and it's done the right way, it is an electrically controlled turbine the spins to let airflow threw your intake when not in use, the kicks on when you punch the gas. I has been proven to drop up too 2psi. in your intake, this is like a super charger just on a smaller cheaper level, I have heard or people staking them and getting higher psi. drops. The only thing is that it doesn't fit on the ES300, there is not enough room for it. Although I have bought one already and I am in the process of adapting my AC2I intake for it, I’m thinking of putting it in the lower bumper, because the intake I have a massive 4in pipe that tapers to a three inch all the way to my sealed intake cone filter that connects to my air flow censer. I’m going to post some pics of it, when I take my rim off and take of the under-molding and start working on the E-ram addition to the AC2I. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-31-01, 12:07 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default the web site

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/
Old 05-31-01, 01:05 PM
flyguy

Ah...the e-ram. Ive also seen these in action. They dont do much. Although they are not really a scam.. they just dont come close to any performance gains thehy suggest. Good luck with it though... do a dyno run before and after and get some real numbers on it!

nick
Old 05-31-01, 01:17 PM
flyguy

Check this guy out, who bought one of the e-ram's
http://home.att.net/~t.vago/eram-waste-howto.html

Also... you might notice that on the website it only works at WOT after 3000rmp. Which doesnt give you a whole lot of boost of the line. Hmm... oh well. Hey... do any of you know if TRD makes a supercharger for the ES300? Ive read several places that they do, but havent actually seen it listed by TRD themselves.

nick
Old 05-31-01, 01:55 PM
ramsee1
Pole Position

Red face interesting business

L-sport thanks for the info, I will be sure to check it out. I would love to see pictures as well. Is the intake you added your own custom or is it sold? I am looking for something similar.

flyguy- I haven't seen any s.c. for the ES. It seems all are for camry... ES gets the old screwjob again. I know it's supposed to be a luxury sedan but come on.... camry gets all this cool stuff?!
As for the product L-sport mentioned.... most of the things involving intake it seems only kick in on high rpm, not from a standstill.

Foiled again. Ramsee1
Old 05-31-01, 02:36 PM
flyguy

Does any of the camrys share the es300 engine? Do a search on the web. I use google... and I saw a few sites that mention a TRD supercharger for the es300. From what I hear, the TRD superchargers are cheap too. If they exsist, Im goin for it.

nick
Old 05-31-01, 03:06 PM
ramsee1
Pole Position

Unhappy i dunno

I'll do the search. I contacted trd directly and they said no dice. But that doesn't mean something isn't out there. As far as I can tell a new s.c. installed would be close to 3,500-4000 installed. I think I saw the camry model going for about 2,800 just for the unit.

Quick Reply: spiral max??? ever heard of it?