ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

door wont open from outside door handle

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-04, 01:35 PM
tonyzebra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question door wont open from outside door handle

i have a 95 es300 and a couple of weeks age the outside door handle on the driver side door stopped working. I took off the interrior door panel and found that a yellow plastic piece had broke and i replaced it. the door handle on the outside works now BUT the lock on this door has someway been disabled and i can open the door from the outside with the door lock in the lock position. any ideas or diagrams of the mechanisms of the door handle and locks? thanks-tony
Old 12-27-04, 01:22 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably forgot to reconnect the link to the lock when you fixed the last problem. Open the door panels again and look for a dangling link.
Old 12-27-04, 02:02 AM
tonyzebra
Driver School Candidate

Question link?

Originally Posted by ntran18
You probably forgot to reconnect the link to the lock when you fixed the last problem. Open the door panels again and look for a dangling link.
thanks for the response it is a real pain opening my door from the passenger side.

does this dangling link look like a small white tube about 4 inches in length. i found this tube or link and i dont know where it came from. where exactly should i look for this link and what color is it. is it close to the outside door handle?

more clarification on my problem= when i open the door with the inside handle i can actually see the outside door handle go up. some how it seems the outside and inside door handle are working together instead of independently. the lock works fine locks and unlocks but for some reason when i open the door from the outside door handle the lock unlocks itself with the lifting of the outside door handle. this is somewhat disturbing as anyone can open my car door at anytime.
Old 12-27-04, 01:53 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last time I had the door panels off to fix the same problem, there were a few metal links going to and from handle and lock. With the panels off, flip the lock back and forth and see which link it moves. Sounds like you may have attached the lock link to the wrong place. I know on the drivers side of some models, when you open the door from the inside, it automatically unlocks the door. It's just a matter of putting things back in the right place. Yeah, I know it's a pain, been there, cramped and hard to see, just be patient.
Old 12-27-04, 04:26 PM
Parlett316
Driver School Candidate

hot damn, I have the same problem. Yellow connector broke, fixed that now my lock won't work.
Old 12-27-04, 06:48 PM
tonyzebra
Driver School Candidate

Question replaced door handle clip leads to not being able to lock that door

i double checked the links and i think everything is going to where it is suppose to go to. i actually never disconnected anything to begin with. i initially only took off the door panel and replaced the yellow plastic clip that connects the door cable to the outside door handle. i never disconnected anything(locks,links ). I searched the archived posts and found another person in addition to the prior post in this thread with the same problem. however there was no reply to that post either. here is the link to that thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=door+clip

any ideas?
Old 12-27-04, 06:51 PM
Parlett316
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tonyzebra
i double checked the links and i think everything is going to where it is suppose to go to. i actually never disconnected anything to begin with. i initially only took off the door panel and replaced the yellow plastic clip that connects the door cable to the outside door handle. i never disconnected anything(locks,links ). I searched the archived posts and found another person in addition to the prior post in this thread with the same problem. however there was no reply to that post either. here is the link to that thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=door+clip

any ideas?
Any ideas? I'm taking mine to the freakin mechanic and never letting a friend touch my car again.

This was about as bad as when that 18 year old chick cut my hair.
Old 12-27-04, 09:06 PM
tonyzebra
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up ..problem solved

i figured out that this problem stems from a slightly bent rod that goes to the door handle. it has nothing to do with the locks or links to them. i guess this problem arises because the outside door handle cable gets bent (probably from moving it out of the way to insert the yellow clip. as a result the outside door handle cable and inside door hand cable which intersect at the same point will cause the outside cable to engage the inside door handle and create the problem at hand. to fix the proble simple take the cable going to the clip you just inserted out. and bend it slightly toward the door handle. be careful not to bend this cable too much or it will probably break.. hope this helps.

...finally put some of those analytic skills they are supposedly teaching us in law school to work
Old 12-28-04, 01:45 AM
Parlett316
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tonyzebra
i figured out that this problem stems from a slightly bent rod that goes to the door handle. it has nothing to do with the locks or links to them. i guess this problem arises because the outside door handle cable gets bent (probably from moving it out of the way to insert the yellow clip. as a result the outside door handle cable and inside door hand cable which intersect at the same point will cause the outside cable to engage the inside door handle and create the problem at hand. to fix the proble simple take the cable going to the clip you just inserted out. and bend it slightly toward the door handle. be careful not to bend this cable too much or it will probably break.. hope this helps.

...finally put some of those analytic skills they are supposedly teaching us in law school to work

Thanks but i'm taking it to a shop. It's way to cold and theres other things for the mechanic to look at as well.
Old 12-28-04, 07:28 PM
Parlett316
Driver School Candidate

$400 to fix it.

Going back to my friends house
Old 01-11-05, 07:46 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default where do you get

where do you get these yellow clips?
Old 01-11-05, 09:50 AM
khhoang
Driver

most likely parts counter at a Lexus dealership (PN# 6929312040) or here http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=213808

make sure that's the right part for your car..
Old 01-11-05, 08:44 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Default ok

Alrighty. so I got the clip after work and after i figured out that you put the clip into the handle and then the rod into the clip....i was a happy man. Now though it is strange that we all have a similar problem. The door itself locks but the outside handle now acts like the inside one. You lift the handle(no matter locked or unlocked) and the door unlocks and opens. So I tried the bending ron trick to no avail. Has that actually worked for anyone else or was that just an idea?
either way at least my door opens.....now i just have to figure out howto get it to lock. Might just spend the $400 and take it to the dealership and be done with it.
Old 01-13-05, 08:34 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Default ok

So tonight i was bored and thought ide tackle the current nemesis. I checked to see if any of the rods were touching ever so slightly and i found none. So i tried slightly bending the rod that connects the outside handle to the locking mechanism. It worked. It actually worked after the second time. I can still hear something touching when im on the outside of the door and try to open it when its locked. But happy to say my door is now fixed. thanks for putting up with the newbies questions.
~R
Old 06-26-05, 01:25 PM
pauly
Driver School Candidate

my passenger door handle just stopped working the other day. i'm going to take off the door panel in a few minutes and see if I can't solve this problem the same way you guys did. I'll take some pictures while i'm at it. wish me luck. its a 95 es300 btw.

Quick Reply: door wont open from outside door handle