ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2000 ES300 Key Fob Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-04, 10:05 PM
dpallenman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 ES300 Key Fob Help!

Hi there. I hope all is well. I am sure this topic has been covered one million times before, but I want to assure you that I have done several searches and nothing has yet worked for me. I just purchased a 2000 ES300 Platinum Edition, and the car came with one master key (complete with the transmitter for locking doors and opening the trunk).

Knowing that having only one master key could be dangerous, I immediately purchased an additional master key off Ebay (brand new, original Lexus with transmitter). This new master key is a dead ringer for my original master key in every respect, including the FCC codes.

I had a local locksmith cut this new master key, and it worked perfectly in the trunk and the doors. I used some programming instructions found on this web site and programmed the engine immobilizer portion of the key. This process worked flawlessly, and the new master key starts the car without fail. So far, so good.

Next, I set out to program the transmitter portion in order that I can remotely lock/unlock the doors and open the trunk. I have tried several different combinations, and nothing works. Originally, I was using the power lock switch to lock/unlock the doors five times, but further reading told me that the driver’s door only is the one to be locked/unlocked. In other words, you must use the MANUAL switch when going through this process.

So, here is my exact procedure, and it has failed to work time and time again:

1. Sit in the 2000 ES300, close all doors, lock all doors.
2. MANUALLY unlock driver’s door only, and open driver’s door.
3. Insert ORIGINAL Master Key (not the new Master Key) into the ignition, and then remove.
4. MANUALLY lock/unlock the driver’s door five times (in other words, lock/unlock…lock/unlock…lock/unlock…lock/unlock…lock/unlock.
5. Close driver’s door.
6. Open driver’s door.
7. MANUALLY lock/unlock the driver’s door five times (in other words, lock/unlock…lock/unlock…lock/unlock…lock/unlock…lock/unlock.
8. Insert NEW Master Key into the ignition, turn to “On” once, turn to “Off”, then remove the key from the ignition.
PLEASE NOTE AFTER STEP 8, THE LOCKS CYCLED ONCE, WHICH IS APPARENTLY WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO!
9. On the NEW Master Key, press the Lock/Panic (this is a combination button; one and the same) for one second.
PLEASE NOTE AFTER STEP 9, THE LOCKS ARE SUPPOSED TO CYCLE AGAIN. THEY DID NOT!
10. Close driver’s door.
11. Open driver’s door.
12. On the NEW Master Key, press Lock for one second.
PLEASE NOTE AFTER STEP 12, THE LOCKS ARE SUPPOSED TO CYCLE AGAIN. THEY DID NOT!
13. Close driver’s door.

Where am I going wrong here? As you can see, everything seems to go well until Step 9, where the locks failed to cycle.

Perhaps I have the wrong instructions?

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Darren
Old 12-21-04, 10:47 PM
timmay217
Driver School Candidate

checked the battery? i did that too and i decided to replace the battery after trying numerous times and it finally worked =D
Old 12-21-04, 11:36 PM
dpallenman
Driver School Candidate

I tried a new battery. Still no luck.

Darren
Old 12-22-04, 01:15 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the power lock/unlock button and not the lock lever. Also it lock first then unlock. When you turn the key on/off, it is suppose to be one non-stop cycle. Hope this helps... This is what got me when I did it.
Old 12-22-04, 01:17 PM
dpallenman
Driver School Candidate

Hi there. I guess I just have to keep trying. I always did make sure that it was "lock" first then "unlock", and I have tried this using both the manual and power door lock switch.

Maybe I need to turn the key on and off quicker. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,
Darren
Old 12-23-04, 12:51 PM
dpallenman
Driver School Candidate

This isn't a huge deal, because as it stands I can stick the new master key in the door, unlock the door, jump in, start the car and drive off. It just bugs me that the keyless entry won't program successfully. I tried again today several times, but no luck.

Does anyone have an actual 2000 service manual scan of this procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Darren
Old 12-24-04, 03:30 PM
irv6744
Driver School Candidate

you may need to press the gas and brake pedals at the same time to start the programming before you put the key in the ignition.

goofy stuff
Old 10-09-15, 11:35 AM
614ndb
Driver School Candidate

I found these instructions that worked on my 2000 ES300 via http://www.keymam.com/ru/news_view.asp?newsid=58

I did key programming one first so its started the engine and I didn't need to use the original key for key programming two. I did key programming two to program the key fob buttons. works great.

TYPE B

Lexus Key and Remote Programming

Key Programming 1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your

key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.
NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key.

If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.

Remote Programming 1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock,Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON" , turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.

After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.

10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.
Old 10-09-15, 06:17 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

The procedure above is the same for the GS300. Here's a video on how its done:

Old 11-09-15, 05:13 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dpallenman
This isn't a huge deal, because as it stands I can stick the new master key in the door, unlock the door, jump in, start the car and drive off. It just bugs me that the keyless entry won't program successfully. I tried again today several times, but no luck.

Does anyone have an actual 2000 service manual scan of this procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Darren
The physical cut on the keys opens and closes the door and unlocks the ignition. The transponder chip is recognized by the computer to let the car start.

The remote functions on the key fob must also be programmed correctly to allow remote open and close of the doors and trunk. Separate procedure than the ignition.

It took me like 10 times to do it right. If steps are done too fast or too slow it won't work.

I have the instructions from keys4less if you need.

I programmed 3 master remote fobs from an original master fob with a bad board and saved $800
Old 11-21-15, 09:21 AM
zaidhazari
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by samsonn25
The physical cut on the keys opens and closes the door and unlocks the ignition. The transponder chip is recognized by the computer to let the car start.

The remote functions on the key fob must also be programmed correctly to allow remote open and close of the doors and trunk. Separate procedure than the ignition.

It took me like 10 times to do it right. If steps are done too fast or too slow it won't work.

I have the instructions from keys4less if you need.

I programmed 3 master remote fobs from an original master fob with a bad board and saved $800
Would you be able to shoot me the instructions by chance? I have a master remote fob that simply won't work for me, and I'm looking to get a new one. The dealer is telling me they need a full ECU reprogram on the 2000 ES 300 (which is horse ****, of course).
Old 11-24-15, 04:40 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by zaidhazari
Would you be able to shoot me the instructions by chance? I have a master remote fob that simply won't work for me, and I'm looking to get a new one. The dealer is telling me they need a full ECU reprogram on the 2000 ES 300 (which is horse ****, of course).

First of all does the remote you have now start the car? You also need to test if it is a master key or a valet key. The master will open and close the glove box and trunk.