ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Tires for an ES300

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-04, 08:16 AM
Italia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for an ES300

Hey guys, I posted this in the Tirerack forum but thought it would get more responses here. I have a question regarding new tires for my 2001 ES300. I am looking to buy a 17" wheel/tires package shortly. My question is I very much want to keep the luxorious and smooth ride the car currently has while adding a more attractive look to the vehicle. Would you agree this would be best achieved by using a 225/50/17 tire as opposed to a wider, lower profile tire? Also, can anyone speak from experience on what an all around good tire is for these vehicles? Specifically on dry/wet roads. I do not intend on driving in the snow with these. I hear good things about the Yokohama AVS and Goodyear F1 GS-D3's but unfortunately they don't make either of these in a 225/50/17 size. =(

Thanks for you help!
Old 07-02-04, 08:25 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would check out the tires made by Toyo......The prices are reasonable and a lot of Lexus owners are very happy with the performance all around.....besides they manufacture the size you are looking at.
http://www.toyo.com/
Old 07-02-04, 09:44 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Italia, here's an informative thread created by a fellow ES owner looking for comparison b/w a Michelin MXV4 and Toyo Proxes TPT. I contributed in that thread with my thoughts on the Toyo tires (my current set):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=122366
Old 07-02-04, 09:52 AM
Italia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions on tires guys! Do any of you agree or disagree with my philosophy of the 225/50/17 providing a more luxory/smooth ride then a wider, lower profile tire?
Old 07-02-04, 10:05 AM
hoolcat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to look at when your buying tires is how its made. Most tires are made in halfs and then pressed together. From what i hear, and i could be wrong, Toyo tires are good but can tend to be a bit loud on the road. As for handling and the ride I hear they are a nice tire. I worked at Sears Auto when i was 18 and was really turned on to Michelin tires like the Energy MXV4 and Pilots. Now I think the Energy MXV4 does not come in the side you are looking for, But the Pilots do. The reason why I give the Pilot my vote over the Toyo is that Michelin's tire constuction is one of the best out there. there tires are made in 1/4's and then sealed together thus making a truer ride. Another tire to think about as like a Dunlop SP9000. I think its one of the best tires you can get in the size your looking for (17). They have a nice quite ride to them and they handle and ride well. I think you would be very happy with a set.

I would also try to stay away from buying tires online from sites like tirerack. The reason I say this is that it could be a big hassel to use your warranty on your tires. It is a must when buying new tires that you get some sort of road hazard program. You want this because you will get a flat tire or something sooner or later. Now if you have the Road hazard program from tirerack you have to jump though a few extra loops. Like contacting Tire Racks "Program Administrator" for approval to get your tire fixed at a local repair shop. LAME!!!! and then you have to wait to get reimbursement after sending in paper work??? Its just a hassel. I would say jsut find a place likes Sears Auto, Discount Tire, Costco, Whatever... Any place that has the tires your looking for at the best price. 1) its much easyer to service and 2) Think of how they are going to treat you if you didn't even buy your tires from them.

Also make sure you get a road hazord program with your tires. Its the best $7 a tire you will spend.

Then again I could be way wrong.
Old 07-02-04, 12:19 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Excellent points well taken hoolcat!

I've been a Toyo user for the last 3-4 yrs. I had them on my '96 ES, and now on my '01 ES. They satisfy my tire needs all season and year long (never needed to change to snow tires once, and we usually get heavy snowstorms in the NE every year). I've heard great reviews of the Michelin Pilot and Energy, so I may cross over to that brand when I'm done with my Toyos. Another brand to consider is the Bridgestone Potenza or Turanza. I heard those tires are also quiet and give considerable road feel. Bridgestone comes straight out of the factory in most of the new Lexus vehicles.
Old 07-02-04, 08:48 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Italia,

I'm one of the other members that have the Toyo Proxes TPT's, & if you search this forum here & in the tire section you will see that I praise them all day long.....and still do. They are fantastic & I would buy them again over the Michelin MXV4's in a heartbeat. I'm not 100% sure of the size you mentioned of 225 50 17 (they were the exact size of my 2001 Nissan Maxima SE) & I got Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires (keep in mind that was the factory size however).......quite expensive & also a very good tire, but I felt they were over priced. If you decide to move up to a larger size, I would seriously consider the Proxes TPT's as they are now available in the size you mentioned (I wish they were available for my Maxima back then lol). Also keep in mind that the ES is not a sports sedan & is not ment to be......the TPT's are a performance touring tire with a long treadlife (60,000 miles) & excellent traction in the rain (heavy rain was awesome!) and good in the snowy conditions for an all season tire. The price is very reasonable making it a very good all round value! Good luck