ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 07:47 PM
jimbo22s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid

What is the recommended schedule for changing the transmission fluid? I do not see a recommendation in the Owner's Manual.

Also, is there a way to examine or test transmission fluid to determine if it needs changing? (Like you can test brake fluid)

Thank you.
Old 06-29-04, 09:19 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

What year is your car & how many miles on it now? I changed mine (01 ES) at 43,000 miles but I could have gone longer till close to 60,000 miles. I did a complete fluid change (100%) with a flushing machine & used ONLY Toyota Type IV (Type 4) tranny fluid which is the ONLY fluid one should use for that transmission & NOTHING else. Earlier models use dexron 3 fluid so you could change to synthetic if you choose. I also had the filter cleaned & the gasket changed.
Old 06-29-04, 10:42 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I called lexus abotu this a long time ago and they told me that they recommend every 15,000 miles. I dont really drive my car that hard so i figured i can hold off on that for a little bit. lexus says 15, you do what you think is right.
Old 06-30-04, 01:06 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe 30,000 miles is a reasonable interval for a transmission fluid change. Most people opt for the drain and fill technique, and that job takes about 1-1.5 hrs from a service shop or dealership. Lexusfreak described the other method of changing the tranny fluid, which involves hooking the car up to a specialized tranny flushing machine and removing the old fluid from the torque converter. This is a more involved process, hence not a common maintenance route.

You can check the condition of the tranny fluid from the tranny fluid dipstick. The dipstick is located on the front-right of the engine, and has a brownish cap handle. Before you pull out the dipstick, make sure the engine is reasonably warm and that you shift thru all the levels on the gate shifter (P, R, N, D, 2, L), from P to L, then L to P. Now open the hood and pull out the dipstick. Get a rag or towel and wipe off the fluid from the dipstick. If the color of the fluid on the rag is red, the fluid is in good condition. If it's a darkish red to darkish gray, it may be time to change the tranny fluid.
Old 06-30-04, 08:02 PM
jimbo22s
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies.

My car is a '99 with 50k, but I bought it only six months ago and don't have previous maintence records. I think I'll go ahead and have a complete flush & fill, etc.

The only issues I notice are that the car doesn't shift smoothly for the first time I get up to speed following a cold start and it doesn't always downshift smoothly.
Old 06-30-04, 11:02 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I did the complete flush & fill as well.......I think it's a wise idea for the first time......after that I will be doing the regular drain & fill every 30k or 2 years (which ever comes first). Double check the owners manual for the correct fluid type......I'm not 100% sure but your car might require the Toyota type IV (type 4) fluid & if that's the case, make sure that all you use or tranny damage could occur. The cold start shifting pattern you mention is normal untill the car get's up to operating temperature so it's working the way it was designed to (you should notice a very slight improvement once you do a tranny flush & clean the filter). You will also notice higher RPM's when the car is cold.....also normal untill it's get's up to temperature. Good luck with your new ride!
Old 07-01-04, 08:15 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 98 and do the fluid every 30 and the filter every OTHER drain. It will take about 1 to 1.25 hours to drain tranny, diff and pan. Then re-install new filter, install pan and fill with fluid. EVERY simple. Being using amsoil and works good.
Old 07-01-04, 08:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally posted by jimbo22s
Thanks for the replies.

My car is a '99 with 50k, but I bought it only six months ago and don't have previous maintence records. I think I'll go ahead and have a complete flush & fill, etc.

The only issues I notice are that the car doesn't shift smoothly for the first time I get up to speed following a cold start and it doesn't always downshift smoothly.
Yes, that should definitely help your rough shifting. FYI, you can take your car to the local Toyota dealer service dept and have the same service your Lexus service dept. does for less.
Old 07-09-04, 09:53 AM
jimbo22s
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone heard of situations where the trans flush causes problems? One shop I called discouraged flushing the system. He said he had two cars in that week that experienced problems after a flush. He said the dirt is in the filter and pan anyway..
Old 07-09-04, 07:36 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard that the machine flush can be counter-indicated in cars that haven't had a flush or even a simple drain & fill for many many miles (like >50,000 miles or so). In cases like this it was suggested that one do simple drain & fills every two weeks over the course of two months or so. It is a gentler way of doing a fluid flush without immediately dislodging any crud and dirt that may have accumulated due to the lack of proper maintenance.

However, if the tranny has been properly cared for over its curren lifespan, then an automated flush should be ok.

steviej