Drag Strip Discussion about Lexus straight line racing on the 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile and top speed flats.

I would like to know what kind of 1/4 mile times people have been running.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-01, 09:48 PM
JustGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I would like to know what kind of 1/4 mile times people have been running.

I have had my GS400 for about 3 weeks. I had to sell my 99 vette since I recently became a father and needed a 4 door. It's hard to beat the power of a vette, I loved being able to lay rubber for 100 feet and the feeling of going 165 mph is a serious rush. I must say I am very happy with the GS400, as far as a daily driver it's much nicer to drive then the vette every day and is much more practical. I wanted to know what kind of 1/4 mile times people run with the GS400. I did the RMM intake and exhaust the second week I had the car and am very happy with the up grades, even though it sounds like (from reading the threads) the SRT intake might have been a better choice. Does anyone know what times I could expect with the up grades I have vs. stock? I was also wondering about top speed. I read in a magazine that the top speed of the GS400 was 149, is that a governed top speed or just the limit of the car. Thanks for any info and I am happy to have found a form like this for a great car.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 11-09-01, 09:54 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome Matt,149 is the Governed Top Speed.
Old 11-09-01, 11:08 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Welcome!

Matt - From one former 'Vette owner to another, welcome aboard!! The best I've done with my '99 GS4 has been a 13.79 @ 106 mph. Mine's about as heavily modded as U can go naturally aspirated ( SRT intake; Borlas; Dragon T/C & RMM LSD ). It was turning 14.4's stock & I've added 200# of stereo equipment in the trunk ( great for traction but sucks for top end!! ). Lots of variables in quartermile times ( track conditions, weather conditions, etc ) but most of the guys with all my mods minus the stiffer geared LSD ( 3.76's ) run low-low 14's. Haven't tried it yet with either slicks or the factory 16" wheels as I know my 18" chrome Zenettis add unsprung weight but the track's about to close for the winter. BTW - the car will actually do 149 mph ( topped mine out twice & it was still pulling up to the point that the governor kicked in ) so whenever Swift Racing gets their tranny ECU R&D'ed & available, I'm looking for close to 160 mph or maybe a little more!!:eek:
Old 11-09-01, 11:16 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Matt- From yet another former Vette owner to another, welcome aboard The best I had with my GS4 was last week. I ran a 14.47@100.1mph with a 2.15 0-60ft time. Currently, my car is bone stock. I was running the stock platinum series wheels though I recently upgraded to the Blitz wheels...At any rate, enjoy the board!
Old 11-09-01, 11:21 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

BTW...my car was at 39k when I ran the times...

Mean Gene - I think they said theoretically, the car will do over 170mph...:eek: , but do not quote me. Don't waste your time using the stock 16" wheels unless you mount a set of ET streets. I spun my way too much with moderate launhing techniques and mine is stock. Like to see what it does with 285-30 series tries and some spray
Old 11-10-01, 01:48 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Talking That's Next!!

Mike - Kinda figured the 16's wouldn't help although they're lighter than the Zenettis. I power braked at 2400 rpm & the trunk weight & RMM geared LSD kept wheelspin to a minimium so I was well pleased with the high 13. I ran at Baton Rouge about 2 days after Tropical Storm Allison (??) deluged Texas & Louisiana with rain & the 60 foot time trap system wasn't working but I figure I pulled a sub 2 second launch because I had my G-tech Pro onboard & setup for that measurement - recall it being somewhere around 1.92 or so & the G-Tech's reasonably accurate because on the 13.79 run ( track timer ), the G-Tech showed a 13.66 at 107+. They tend to be somewhat more optimistic than an actual track timing system but close enough to be valuable for those ( like me ) who live 100+ miles away from the nearest track. BTW - I had 34k on my GS at the time of these runs. I'm still waiting on Venom for the spray but DON'T get me started on that again!!:eek:
Old 11-10-01, 04:11 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

"I'm still waiting on Venom for the spray but DON'T get me started on that again"

Mean Gene - I am really looking forward to installing a nitrous oxide on my gs as well. I ran a NX system on my '98 C5 for about 50k miles with no problems, except for one blow motor. That was driver error, so I don't blame the mishap from the n20. I know NX sells a kit for our cars which is a wet set-up. I know you have been trying to get Venom to make a kit for the gs, but currently, the obviously don't offer it. I think they told me the only way they will make a kit is if there was enough demand for it.
Old 11-10-01, 06:07 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation I'll Call Monday!

Mike - Well, I haven't contacted Greg ( Venom tech I've been speaking with ) in about 2 months so I really don't know the latest. He kept telling me that it was " only a month or so away from being available ". The Lexus uses the same ( in basic design, at least ) returnless fuel line system that's on the current Dodges & I know that NOS has kits for those available now so it shouldn't be that hard to come up with one vehicle specific for our cars. NOS is currently doing R&D on the GS400/430 but they're also claiming to be shooting for the first of next year for release. NX does have a kit ( runs anywhere from $399 - $499 in the catalogs I've seen but it's $599 directly from NX!:eek: ) but is it vehicle specific for the GS? Texas Nitrous will modify one of their kits for the GS ( basically add a return line to the fuel delivery system ) but I really don't want to risk a $15k motor on a kit that's been "McGyver'ed" to fit!! Yes, I know several Members are using the Texas Nitrous kit but I just don't feel comfortable with a modded kit so if it means that I wait longer for what I view as the safest kit ( IMO ), so be it. BTW - I had a 175 horse shot from NOS on my '87 Lingenfelter 'Vette for over 2 years without hurting anything & my best friend had the 125 HP NOS kit on his '86 'Vette ( bone stock ) for 3 years & the only damage he did was grenade the MAF ( he jumped on the throttle before the car got warmed up & it backfired thru the MAF! DUH!! ). No worries though - got it covered under warranty ( helps to know your service tech, no matter what brand of car U drive! ).