favorite photography websites? - Club Lexus Forums

favorite photography websites?

Old 07-24-14, 10:30 PM   #1
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Default favorite photography websites?

not sure what it is, but i think dpreview has become lame since amazon bought it. seems they still don't many reviews or maybe i've become less interested since it's mostly mirrorless and micro-4/3rds...

what other photography websites do you go to for education, discussion, or inspiration? (or anything else)
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 12:10 AM   #2
abounly
Lexus Champion

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/digi...otography-152/

I like Photography on the net as well.
abounly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 08:29 AM   #3
chunkyda
Pole Position

I enjoy DigitalRev youtube channel, strikes my funny bone the right way.
Through facebook I find that a bunch of the web sites post the same information about releases and publicity for new equipment: digitalcameraworld, photographylife, lightstalking, petapixel, the-digital-picture.com, etc.
chunkyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 09:34 AM   #4
1sWt2GS
Lexus Fanatic

I use photography on the net a lot myself
1sWt2GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 10:11 AM   #5
whoster
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkyda View Post
I enjoy DigitalRev youtube channel, strikes my funny bone the right way.
Through facebook I find that a bunch of the web sites post the same information about releases and publicity for new equipment: digitalcameraworld, photographylife, lightstalking, petapixel, the-digital-picture.com, etc.
It's like Top Gear but for cameras.
whoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 06:38 AM   #6
metalgear
Lexus Champion

My favorite websites:

If you're a Canon user: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

I you're a Fuji user: http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/index

Lots of amazing photographers on this one: http://www.fredmiranda.com/

Well, I got one more but it's dpreview.
metalgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 02:34 PM   #7
don
Lexus Champion

What do you guys think about Ken Rockwell?
I admit I read his reviews when I was starting out, before I found reliable sources. I know a lot of professionals think he's going senile and is spreading misinformation.
don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 11:49 PM   #8
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

I think it's inevitable for novice photographer's to come across Ken's site as its web presence is just so strong. But when he claims that images coming out of his iPhone is better than the ones from his D3, that alone should prompt some readers to stroke their chin.He says a lot of stuff that are either blasphemy or something that comes across as attention grabbing. Take his RAW vs JPEG argument for example. He is so adamant that JPEG is better because "real photographers get it right in the camera" that his prejudice towards those who shoots RAW becomes apparent in his writing. I've shot long enough I think to understand the potential of RAW and the need for JPEG; I shoot RAW and recommend others to do the same, but never will you find me criticizing those who shoot JPEGs. You shoot what works for you. I'm embarrassed for him sometimes when I read this guy blab about how this and that sucks.

That said, I do visit his site now and then if I want to read up some stuff on Nikon AI lenses. The man has a great lens database, can't knock him for that.

Ming TheinMing's blog offers a refreshing in depth look into the life of a professional photographer. He writes extensively about shooting philosophies. Sometimes I wonder how he could come up with these thoughts every week. Doesn't hurt that he knows quite a bit about all sorts of cameras. And unlike Rockwell, Ming actually can create photographs.

http://shoottokyo.com/blog/ Tokyo is my favorite city, so it should come to no surprise that this blog makes the list. Dave the blogger is an all around great guy. His website is so beautifully presented. This blog is a must for anyone crazy about Leica gears.

TIME's Lightbox Now I'm partial to photojournalism and documentary photography, so this site is a must. Time compiles some of the best work online and links it so it's really a convenient one stop shop for the best photojournalism stuff available. This site is where I spend most of my time on.

NatGeo's PROOFSome seriously really good photography here.

Reuter's Photographer's BlogThis site does the best photoessays online IMO. Reuter's global network of photographers makes possible the type of interesting, diverse, and frequent contributions you see on the site. not only do you get to see not-oft seen photographs, you also get to read how the photographers approach the assignment. The running diary on the World Cup was the best.

AP Images More or less similar to the Reuter's one. AP just started this one relatively recently, so I think they're still trying to figure things out.

Getty Reportage Again, more of the same, but I find that Getty photographers are in a different class.

Of course, I also read stuff like PetaPixel and Nikon Rumors to keep abreast of creative works and camera stuff. But the above links I can honestly say shaped my photography.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 05:09 PM   #9
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

wow, some excellent responses, thanks all!
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 11:18 AM   #10
chikoo
Lexus Champion

and don't forget Kurt Munger if you use Sony Cameras.
chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-14, 05:46 PM   #11
Cuttooth
Lead Lap

The site that I learned the most from and still frequent is http://www.dpchallenge.com/. You gotta have really thick skin to enter challenges there because the voting can be brutal. It is a very tight community though and they are extremely helpful if you want an honest critique. They generally have 3 challenges per week and the photos must be taken within that week, then voting goes for another week and is totally anonymous.

I also get a lot of inspiration from is http://1x.com/. Can seem very cliquish and it's seems almost impossible to get stuff published there but there are some incredible photographers there.

The site I've been posting the longest to is http://jpgmag.com/. Not as high quality as it used to be but still a good community.
Cuttooth is offline   Reply With Quote