Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Digital Photography
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

The "Look what I got today!" Thread

Old 08-13-14, 11:34 PM   #241
RA40
Trader Score: (6)

Cullmann discontinued this line so I found the middle child of the group. Well, there are actually 4 models, the 8, 6, 4 and 2 series. The one in the middle is the 4 series ball head.

When I looked, I kept seeing "discontinued". The Adorama sales guy told me they are expecting a shipment next month, I questioned him that the line has been discontinued. I left my order standing because he said they were going ot get some. Called RTS Photo who imports them and the gal told me that no more would be coming into the country. She said Adorama isn't getting any of those ball heads from them. That evening Adorama sent an e-mail that my order was cancelled due to the product being discontinued.

This one will get a RRS QR clamp like the larger 6 series on the left has.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Attached Images

Mike
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 04:49 PM   #242
chikoo
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

for travel purposes sony dsc-hx50v
Attached Images

2008 IS250 - Obsidian Black with Black leather.
Premium Pkg, Nav system, P225/40YR18 front & P255/40YR18 rear tires, Rear Lip Spoiler, F-sport Shocks.
chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 07:54 AM   #243
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Some new addition...lenses I owned before!

Re-purchased the 24-120 because I need something flexible for video. I guess this will double as the travel lens as well, paired with either the 50 1.2 AI-S (used to shoot this photo) or the 28 1.8G (also recently re-acquired because I just love the look this lens gives me).

Click the image to open in full size.
<br/><br/>

Android, Nikon & Rice powered
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 08:23 AM   #244
RA40

Nice range of glass. Do you carry all of them on some occasions?

I'm planning a Vancouver trip and debate leaving the SLR at home. We will be using public transportation during the stay and having the backpack of even shoulder bag for these full days makes me think the P&S would be easier.

Mike
Old 08-27-14, 10:48 PM   #245
Kaydee

I only carry all of them at once whenever I'm moving. I never go to shoots with all of them.

For video stuff I usually used the 24-70, and use the crop function on the Nikon whenever I need that reach. This has been superseded by the 24-120, and with the crop function it's effectively a 24-180. I also bring the wide 16-35 just in case. I've never had to use this for video, but I always have it with me. Also I bring the 85 whenever that cinematic look is needed.

For photo stuff, I only bring the 24-70 and the 70-200 and do it photojournalism style. I also bring the 85 for that cinematic look as well. I'm telling you the 85 is bread and butter for me. Love it to death.

The 85 was my go to for personal, street photography, until I tried out the 28. Up until recently, I had been using the 28 quite often because I find that I don't shoot wide often enough so I want to practice more. But all of this was before I found a relatively decent 50 1.2 for a good price. Now this is what I'm shooting street with. Not a focal elngth I'm used to the 50, but the bokeh is just so bloody awesome.

So yeah the 85 for me pretty much works for anything. I tried street with teh 24-70, didn't work. Felt way too conscious handling such a big lens. the 50 1.2 and the 28 are just for fun lens, I've never really integrated them into my usual paid workflow.

Last edited by Kaydee; 08-28-14 at 01:19 AM..
Old 08-27-14, 11:11 PM   #246
Kaydee

as for your Vancouver trip, the place is safe...even Downtown Eastside, you can snap away and the worst that could happen is probably you will get yelled at; just don't go at night.

I tried the whole using a small camera thing, even with an OM-D with it's relatively large micro 4/3rd chip, it just wasn't giving me the quality I wanted. Dynamic range was not great, and even though the shooting experience was fun, it never really put me in that photography mode. Hence, why it went back on the market.

But yeah, I guess that's a question only you can answer.

Old 08-28-14, 12:16 PM   #247
RA40

Thanks Kaydee. The gear side takes over and the mindset of better to have it than not becomes the powering thought. When we wandered Waikiki I liked just having the G15. Vancouver has some very-very pretty sights I want at higher resolutions. The 12MP in the G15 will nag me when going through the shots at home. The Sony DSC-HX50v that chikoo mentions has been tempting. So much gear to ponder. Tough choices.

I'm going to look for a slightly smaller bag, over the Lowepro Flipside 300. That bag at the Granville Island Market and Aquarium will be a profile hazard since it is reasonably largish.

I hear ya on practicing with various glass. The 40mm works quite well for me and isn't a monster lens that is noticed. The 85 sounds tempting and that is one length I'm not familiar with. Hmm...

Mike

Last edited by RA40; 08-28-14 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: oops moment forgot "not"
Old 08-28-14, 01:27 PM   #248
chikoo
Lexus Champion

^ the part I loved about the HX50V apart from being small, 20mp and 30x zoom was that it allowed me to set Aperture, noise reduction, sharpness & saturation values so that I could PP them to my liking.

Premium Pkg, Nav system, P225/40YR18 front & P255/40YR18 rear tires, Rear Lip Spoiler, F-sport Shocks.
Old 08-31-14, 12:21 PM   #249
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Nice collection Kaydee!

HKS | VOLK | TEIN
metalgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 09:48 AM   #250
RA40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post
^ the part I loved about the HX50V apart from being small, 20mp and 30x zoom was that it allowed me to set Aperture, noise reduction, sharpness & saturation values so that I could PP them to my liking.
Once I get back I'll revisit a P&S sized camera. Can make do with less, just not sure I have that desire to step back. 12MP in the Canon G's is Works for small stuff and even some modest enlargements, just having that bit more if cropping is used makes it so much easier.

Mike
Old 09-01-14, 11:30 AM   #251
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Ouch. Major cropping is not the strong suit of this small sensors. It works great as long as you compose correctly, and the 30x G lens does a great job at that. But if you were going to crop a headshot out of a group picture...good luck.

Example:

No PP here. Straight from the camera.

http://i.imgur.com/pfKKVMC.jpg

Last edited by chikoo; 09-01-14 at 01:11 PM..
Old 09-02-14, 12:26 PM   #252
RA40

Looks good. That is why I find the 5D-III flexible. Going between the SLR and P&S become pretty constrained. Hmm..

Mike
Old 09-02-14, 06:28 PM   #253
chikoo
Lexus Champion

See this one too. It serves a purpose when your main intent is to travel, with a secondary objective of taking street pictures.
Ouch. The uploaded picture is too much compressed in the dark regions. Not so on my computer.

Old 09-18-14, 06:38 PM   #254
Mugen_1
Lead Lap

http://www.facebook.com/evolutionq http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=93651693&locale=en_US&trk=tab_pro Mugen_1
Send a message via ICQ to Mugen_1 Send a message via AIM to Mugen_1 Send a message via MSN to Mugen_1

This and the B+W slimline CPL to go with it!

Mugen_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-14, 06:40 PM   #255
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
I tried the whole using a small camera thing, even with an OM-D with it's relatively large micro 4/3rd chip, it just wasn't giving me the quality I wanted. Dynamic range was not great, and even though the shooting experience was fun, it never really put me in that photography mode. Hence, why it went back on the market.

But yeah, I guess that's a question only you can answer.
agreed, and agreed!! i've used several small cameras, and after a trip a few years ago i said never again for a trip. i have a great compact travel setup if i don't feel like bringing a bunch of stuff. i now have the great but very small ex270 flash for travel to go on my 5dmkiii and it fits in my small holster bag (with the camera of course). i typically only take the 24-105 but this last trip i took my 17-40 because i knew i'd be seeing some big landscapes in the amazing canadian rockies. for me it was still a pain changing lenses so i didn't change that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
Looks good. That is why I find the 5D-III flexible. Going between the SLR and P&S become pretty constrained. Hmm..
not quite following - you find the 5diii flexible because ?

but like kaydee says, if you're on a great site seeing trip (or even family ) and want memories to keep, the extra iso headroom, extra dynamic range, better color, easier short dof, makes taking a dslr for me, a no brainer. maybe one day some amazing feat of physics and tech will make small cameras better.

one thing though, my cell phone (samsung note 2) takes surprisingly rich and detailed pics in good light, and of course has a huge DOF making scenes with foreground and background needed in focus very easy.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-14, 06:40 PM

Tags
bogen, gs350