Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

dedicated cameras vs. cell phones - colliding

Old 10-13-11, 12:02 AM   #46
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod
Trader Score: (0)

different tools for different purposes.

a dedicated camera is better for sure, nor argument about that, but a good cell camera pushes the boundary of creativity. I find myself taking different types of pictures when I am using the big DSLR and completely different picture when I am using the cell camera (instagram type of stuff). To me, both are for different purposes.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Android, Nikon & Rice powered
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 06:46 AM   #47
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (8)

ulises carrillo teklust5401
Send a message via AIM to neojungle1

I agree always just this month I post a picture I took on my cellphone and posted it here and it look strangely different not as good as a DSLR or close but different
neojungle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 12:54 PM   #48
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)

well, at least it appears samsung gets the need for the connected camera!

and with phones and tablets getting better cameras too - worlds are colliding.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/638...nected-cameras

excerpt:

Quote:
'Customers are looking for a total solution'

Of all the major camera manufacturers, Samsung is making perhaps the most concerted effort to introduce smartphone-like features into its camera lineup. Several of its 2012 models feature WiFi connectivity, and some, like the innovative flip-screen MV800, utilize a distinctly 'app-like' graphic user interface. We asked Lim what the future holds.
Although he wouldn't be drawn on specific plans (at least not on record) Lim told us that he believes 'customers are looking for a total solution for their images, not only capturing pictures but editing and sharing. We want to provide this solution, but in order to realize this vision the camera must be connected. This is why we are adding WiFi to our camera lineup [in 2012]'.
'Once people experience the technology they love it'

We asked Lim whether it is difficult to educate consumers in the benefits of a so-called connected-camera. He said it is, but only for certain demographics. 'The technology is brand new' he explained, 'and so is the experience. Our prime target consumers are young people because they are connected, and well-exposed to [this sort of] technology. After we've targeted those consumers we will expand our target market'.
Lim went on - 'in order to educate the experience is key. Once people experience the technology they love it and once they love it, then they buy it'.
Click the image to open in full size. The WB150F is capable of connecting to WiFi networks and Android smartphones, allowing you to view and share images on a wide variety of devices, as well as email and social networking websites. The 'experience' that Lee mentions is the experience of using Samsung's newest compacts as connected devices, capable of allowing images to be edited and shared straight from the camera. Once connected, Samsung's latest WiFi-equipped compact cameras, like the WB150F allow users to email images and share them on Facebook straight from the camera. The same technology allows photographers to browse images from their camera directly to a WiFi-equipped AllShare or DLNA enabled television, and to an Android smartphone via Samsung's MobileLink app.
'Cameras will have the same processing power as smartphones'

At present, smartphones pack more processing power than cameras, but as a consequence they also cost more. Is not unusual for unsubsidized smartphones, with their powerful processors and plentiful in-built memory to cost upwards of $500.
We asked Lim whether he envisages digital cameras with the same processing power as modern phones in the future. Right now, he explained, 'semiconductor firms are feeding the demand for smartphones because the market is so much bigger [than it is for cameras]'. That said, Lim predicts that 'in a year or two cameras will have the same processing power and memory as smartphones'.
'Non-connected devices will be meaningless'

Although he would go on record with any comments on the possibility of cameras being released with mobile operating systems and built-in 3G/4G connectivity, we asked Lim whether he envisages so called 'connected cameras' being subsidized by wireless carriers in the future, in the same way as smartphones are today.

'In the future, maybe', Lim told us. 'Right now people use phones more than cameras. But once the cloud computing era truly dawns, a non-connected device will be meaningless. In that case, the camera will need real-time connectivity, and [carriers] are looking for devices like this'.

'Many companies' he went on, are developing cloud services, 'but right now there aren't many devices [connecting] to that cloud. Photos and videos are the main data traffic generator, so carriers are naturally very interested in the [concept of a] connected camera. [Carrier-subsized] business models may appear in the near future. The technology is there now but we need to wait for the business model to make sense.'

Asked for his personal opinion, Lim predicted 'it will come very soon'.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 01:03 PM   #49
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (8)

ulises carrillo teklust5401
Send a message via AIM to neojungle1

This dispute will continue to go...but camera have still the big edge in image quailty phone are convincted like p&s ....but what company would need to bridge that gap there going to have to put in lens in there phones...I know company have done .this where .Sony Samsung ...but with very little sales due to them being limited or big
neojungle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 02:38 PM   #50
RA40
Trader Score: (6)

The drive of social media to post pictures and videos is amazing and at the same time.

The other day a friend sent a MMS to my email box. This was the first one as most are channeled through a traditional mail address. I suspect we'll get there and one day I'll be plugging a SIM card into an integrated device that has this and other functions.

Mike
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 06:28 PM   #51
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

this thread is not about whether dslr's will always take better pics than phones or tablets. it's about the ease of DOING SOMETHING with the photos.

from my OP:

Quote:
the biggest down side to a dedicated camera is the hassle of actually doing something with the images. most people want to share them via e-mail or facebook or a forum, etc. with a dedicated camera that's a royal pain - connect to pc/mac or use card reader - resize the giant file, then upload/send to wherever. want to do the same on your cell phone? take the shot, pick 'share' or similar, done!

i think it's time for camera manufacturer's to build in wifi at least so the cams can connect to the internet and you then can put pics of vids straight online from the camera and forget a pc/mac entirely.
that is my point. cameras MUST be connected.
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
Old 03-17-12, 01:08 PM   #52
RA40

I would see a phone bridge the gap pretty quickly now that 8MP is common. The Nokia 808 42MP phone certainly will make a big jump into big sized images. While setting up the wife's Windows phone, and browsing Android, Iphone apps there are plenty of tap and go apps to speed the UL of video and images. I suspect we'll see integration with P&S cameras offering similar data/wifi connectivity at some point.

Mike
Old 03-19-12, 08:01 AM   #53
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
I suspect we'll see integration with P&S cameras offering similar data/wifi connectivity at some point.
i think it's going to happen 'overnight'. my point is, it's stupid that it hasn't already happened. it's so obvious.
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
Old 04-01-12, 07:59 AM   #54
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

I like to take pictures with my iphone 4. together with some awsome photo apps you can make some "instant arts" directly in the phone i only few minutes.

The quality is pretty good for web.

Click the image to open in full size.

UpSideDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 12:56 PM   #55
RA40

I see a enough photo apps to do a variety of basic-creative tasks for phone pics. I'll have to try some and see. Some of the lens attachments for the iPhone are interesting.

Mike
Old 04-01-12, 09:55 PM   #56
tools4fool
Lead Lap

Yes, it's questionable why the vast amjority of cameras cannt connect to a cell phone for example.

I have found myself few times in situation where I did take a picture to sent it to someone - with my cell phone camera. I had my dSLR with me, but no way to get the image from the camera to the phone on the spot.

All that would be needed is a "convert to 800x522 JPEG" command in the menu plus a freaking bluethoot...

Of course you could take i one step further and put a sim into the camera for direct uploading. Dunno if that really is neccessary, that would be putting a cell phone inside a camera, would raise cost quite a bit
I guess.

Software will come along as tablets and smart phones become more powerful.
Anyone tried photoshop touch on their tablet yet?
http://www.photoshop.com/products/mobile/photoshoptouch

Watching the video on that site it seems that it has plenty of editing possibilities including layers, stauartion, contrast, curves, high/low corrections, etc

Last edited by tools4fool; 04-01-12 at 10:12 PM..
tools4fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 02:19 PM   #57
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

samsung and nikon are beginning to get it, building in wifi. here's the latest on samsung - looks awesome. as an aside, why does it seem korean tech is beginning to crush japanese tech on every level!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04...0-NX210-NX1000

excerpt:

Quote:
With Samsung’s latest SMART features, users can share pictures at the touch of a button, uploading to social networks including Facebook and Picasa, or emailing them to friends and family – all straight from their new NX camera. The cameras also offer further options for capturing and displaying images via other devices, including the ability to link to a Samsung smartphone and use as a remote viewfinder, and - with the Samsung Mobile Link function - to display images on devices such as tablets or internet-enabled TV.
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
Old 04-19-12, 02:19 PM

Tags
camera, cameras, cell, dedicated, phone, phones, versus