Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Digital Photography
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

dedicated cameras vs. cell phones - colliding

Old 05-30-11, 10:28 PM   #31
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator
Trader Score: (2)

I guess I have a whole different reason for posting most of my pictures on facebook...

a picture taken with a cell phone, IMO, only looks as decent as it will on a cell phone screen, or similar size...

to me, its worth the time to at least look at the pictures in realistic sizes, at least check contrast and tone, crop and then upload... especially when lots of little details get missed in a cell phone sized screen... would potentially lead to some photos getting published that weren't quite web (or public) ready...

1) take a picture with the cell phone and upload it
2) take a picture with a real camera, at least examine it, then upload it
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
- Lots more certs, too many to list here!

2001 Lexus IS300 - 650whp/610wtq (Virtual Dyno)PTE 6765/Custom AEM EMS - Auburn Sky Pearl (1 of 1348)
1999 Isuzu VehiCross 285/75-16 Destination MT's - Astral Silver Metallic (1 of 1021)
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 11:25 AM   #32
Turbinator
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to Turbinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquatism View Post
Exactly. When I want to take a quick picture to share with my friends on Facebook or something, I use my phone and take a quick picture. Yes, it's lightyears away from my DSLR in terms of quality, but it's Facebook...nobody really cares. When I'm out doing photography, that's where I never even dream of touching my phone. I'll take hundreds and hundreds of pictures and several videos, and bring it home to look at and edit, and that's where the DSLR cannot be beat.
Man, I want to see quality photos, even on Facebook

That's why pretty much all the pics I put up there are taken with my dSLR.

Turby
Turbinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 10:37 PM   #33
MissLexus
Driver

www.facebook.com/kwhitchurch

I am amazed at the kinds of photos my iPhone 4 can take. I have a few apps I downloaded that let me do fun stuff and add effects and they turn out really cool!! having my iPhone really eliminated my need for a small point and shoot camera. Of course for occasions where I want superior quality I have a nice SLR.
examples of quality iPhone pics:
Click the image to open in full size.
MissLexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 03:09 PM   #34
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Send a message via Yahoo to Turbinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLexus View Post
I am amazed at the kinds of photos my iPhone 4 can take. I have a few apps I downloaded that let me do fun stuff and add effects and they turn out really cool!! having my iPhone really eliminated my need for a small point and shoot camera. Of course for occasions where I want superior quality I have a nice SLR.
examples of quality iPhone pics:
It's the photographer, not the gear.

Nice work!!

Turby
Turbinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 02:05 PM   #35
majorday
Driver School Candidate

I agree, If you want a high end picture you’re going to have to edit it at some point and time on a pc. But I do use my phone as a point and shoot camera with the comfort of being able to upload a picture or video right away.
majorday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-11, 10:18 PM   #36
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)

another 4 months has passed, and i still think the state of the DSLR in terms of actually handling the images after taking them, is LAME. it's being crushed by cell phones and ipads that can share pics right away. sure i can take great pics with my dslr, but getting them anywhere is a royal pain. uploading onto computer, having to edit just about every one, and the fact that the files are gigantic and not easily shared or take so long to upload to facebook, or even a photosharing site, is weak.

about using an eye-fi card and an sd->cf adapter on a camera like my canon 7D (which, ridiculously does not support SD cards) - it doesn't work well - see here:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R15JB4T...R15JB4TKWGP0L7

oh wait, canon has a handy grip with wifi and ftp built in, for 'only' $700.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-11, 10:31 PM   #37
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
another 4 months has passed, and i still think the state of the DSLR in terms of actually handling the images after taking them, is LAME. it's being crushed by cell phones and ipads that can share pics right away. sure i can take great pics with my dslr, but getting them anywhere is a royal pain. uploading onto computer, having to edit just about every one, and the fact that the files are gigantic and not easily shared or take so long to upload to facebook, or even a photosharing site, is weak.

about using an eye-fi card and an sd->cf adapter on a camera like my canon 7D (which, ridiculously does not support SD cards) - it doesn't work well - see here:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R15JB4T...R15JB4TKWGP0L7

oh wait, canon has a handy grip with wifi and ftp built in, for 'only' $700.
It is two completely different markets though... A camera phone is great for impromptu shots and quick/easy sharing... A DSLR is great for super high quality shots... Even the best camera phone shots are edited too, though on a phone obviously...

A great comparison for me just recently was my nephews 2nd birthday party... A couple people were taking and sharing cell phone pics, but I was shooting a ton with my SLR... Sure, I went and did some post processing and weeded it down to about 40 pictures from 400ish, but the quality and clarity of mine were worlds above the others, and because of the ability to adjust settings manually, I was able to deal with lighting transitions from indoors to out and in the shade that much better... I really caught some special moments in amazing color and detail that wouldn't be there with a camera phone...

To me, it is worth the small amount of extra time it takes to transfer pics, run them through lightroom, then resize to upload (and save copies in full quality for possible print later on)
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 06:30 AM   #38
tools4fool
Lead Lap

Quote:
but getting them anywhere is a royal pain. uploading onto computer, having to edit just about every one, and the fact that the files are gigantic and not easily shared or take so long to upload to facebook, or even a photosharing site, is weak.
Dunno, but my dSLR allows me to shoot RAW and a smaller jpeg at same time. Still the small JPEG is 2000x1400 pixels so you would have to resize it to 800x520 ideally.
However if I take 50 images, load them on my laptop, resize them using batch, then upload them to the interent I think I'm faster than if I upload those same 50 images directly from the cell phone.

On a 5 or 8 MP cell phone you will likely have to downsize your JPEG as well to make for a faster upload.

I think cell pones are good when you shoot one image or a handful, from a party or wherever you are right at the moment, and the advantage is that you can do it right away.
For larger numbers of images I don't think there is a real advantage.
Problem with dSLR is rather that we don't do it - once at home/access to computer with internet, we should right away plug in the camera, batch resize and upload. A process that takes what, 5-10minutes for the 50 images? But we don't do it, that's the problem.

What would be really nice would be that our dSLR could easily transfer data to our tablets or cell phones. A little bluetooth connector in it, that would be great.
Or a bloody USB host in the tablet itself - few actually have it already. That way we could easily get our pics from the camera to the tablet/cell phone.
++++++
tools4fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 06:40 AM   #39
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Greaseball77

I can't even imagine life without DSLRs. As a part-time photojournalist I think it's essential that not only you have something that can snap very high quality photos, but a lot of them very quickly, and a certain rigidness that allows you to shoot in almost all conditions. While DSLRs can't link directly to social media, you do have the ability to shoot in RAW (which gives you a plethora of editing capabilities) and when you do eventually put something on Facebook/Twitter/Whatever, the quality of the photo will be superb to anything else currently available.

I do agree with what someone said above though: the main thing is that it is the photographer, not the gear. Really depends on what satisfies you. Or in my case, whoever I'm shooting for.
greg0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 09:50 AM   #40
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Trader Score: (22)

Dark Cloud XS Death_Anghell

I will always prefer a dedicated camera. I've had the original iPhone, 3G, and the 4, and I've always thought they all sucked at taking pictures. Sure, I've taken a few nice shots on the iPhone 4, but most of the time they look pretty bad once you see them on a computer screen or TV.

My mom got me a really nice point and shoot Samsung camera for Christmas last year and it changed my whole outlook on cell phone cameras. At first I was impressed by my iPhone 4's or even some Android phones' cameras, but now they just don't do it for me anymore. In a few years I could see cell phone cameras catching up to some of the lower end point and shoot cameras, but they won't replace DSLR's for a long time.

I've seen photos taken on DSLR's and it's hard to beat the picture quality on those. While it may not be as convenient as using a smart phone, I'll take one any day over a phone camera.
95 Toyota Supra

さくら

Kira X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 01:01 PM   #41
abounly
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (26)

I think the MAIN benefit of having a nice cell phone camera is that it is so convenient to have. Times i don't want to lug around my dSLR lens/speed light is huge + kinda heavy. It's more of a hey that looks nice, phone picture. Unless i'm happening to have my slr with me.

But in reality dedicated camera> camera phone. I mean dedicated cameras main function is to take pictures right? While the main function of a phone is to communicate with others.
abounly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 03:05 PM   #42
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tools4fool View Post
Dunno, but my dSLR allows me to shoot RAW and a smaller jpeg at same time. Still the small JPEG is 2000x1400 pixels so you would have to resize it to 800x520 ideally.
mine too, and yes, still has to be resized. my phone takes huge pics too but will automatically resize when texting it or posting to facebook, etc.

Quote:
Problem with dSLR is rather that we don't do it - once at home/access to computer with internet, we should right away plug in the camera, batch resize and upload. A process that takes what, 5-10minutes for the 50 images? But we don't do it, that's the problem.

What would be really nice would be that our dSLR could easily transfer data to our tablets or cell phones. A little bluetooth connector in it, that would be great.
Or a bloody USB host in the tablet itself - few actually have it already. That way we could easily get our pics from the camera to the tablet/cell phone.
++++++
actually i have the camera connection kit for my ipad2, and i connect my canon 7D to it and upload from cam to the ipad2 directly. works well and i can then review pics right away with others. ipad2 can also connect to tv or monitor if i want a bigger display. of course ipad2 has a limit to storage (i did get the biggest 64gb one for that reason).

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0126 View Post
I can't even imagine life without DSLRs. As a part-time photojournalist I think it's essential that not only you have something that can snap very high quality photos, but a lot of them very quickly, and a certain rigidness that allows you to shoot in almost all conditions. While DSLRs can't link directly to social media, you do have the ability to shoot in RAW (which gives you a plethora of editing capabilities) and when you do eventually put something on Facebook/Twitter/Whatever, the quality of the photo will be superb to anything else currently available.
i'm not denying that dslrs take better quality pics than cell phones. i am saying it shouldn't be an either/or as far as convenience of handling the image files once taken. there's NO reason a dslr shouldn't have the same options to handle pics as a cell phone, if only over wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira X View Post
I will always prefer a dedicated camera. I've had the original iPhone, 3G, and the 4, and I've always thought they all sucked at taking pictures. Sure, I've taken a few nice shots on the iPhone 4, but most of the time they look pretty bad once you see them on a computer screen or TV.

My mom got me a really nice point and shoot Samsung camera for Christmas last year and it changed my whole outlook on cell phone cameras. At first I was impressed by my iPhone 4's or even some Android phones' cameras, but now they just don't do it for me anymore. In a few years I could see cell phone cameras catching up to some of the lower end point and shoot cameras, but they won't replace DSLR's for a long time.

I've seen photos taken on DSLR's and it's hard to beat the picture quality on those. While it may not be as convenient as using a smart phone, I'll take one any day over a phone camera.
again, i'm not saying cell phones replace dslrs or even decent point and shoots, but their (cell phone) convenience advantage as far as doing something with the pics once taken is huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc300jz View Post
I think the MAIN benefit of having a nice cell phone camera is that it is so convenient to have. Times i don't want to lug around my dSLR lens/speed light is huge + kinda heavy. It's more of a hey that looks nice, phone picture. Unless i'm happening to have my slr with me.

But in reality dedicated camera> camera phone. I mean dedicated cameras main function is to take pictures right? While the main function of a phone is to communicate with others.
but it shouldn't be either or as far as communicating.

by this logic we should all be happy going back to huge heavy metal photo plates because we can get better pictures.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 12:18 AM   #43
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (3)

I agree with TougeSC3... the phone camera no matter how good it gets (even something like the Nokia n8 with a carl zeiss lens and a 12MP camera and even a separate graphics processor) its still not the same. Its like using your sports car as a pickup truck, its POSSIBLE(somehow), its just not the same. Ill still beat he nokia n8 pics with my canon XT of 8mp any day.

As for sharing... well if you wanna take a proper photo you have to use proper tools, if you want to have a by the way thing use your phone why not. My photography goes through some processing (I shoot both raw and JPEG) before I post. Ill admit I sometimes get lazy but hey, when I get to it theres nothing to it really. Some photographers who like to shoot with film SLR cameras have to process the film before they can see the photos. You have to decide whether your PHOTOGRAPHING or just taking pics.

Last edited by Kalogerus; 10-12-11 at 12:23 AM..
Kalogerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 10:01 AM   #44
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Greaseball77

There are kits for DSLRs to connect and upload images. However they are expensive and are generally geared toward professionals. That's why at a football game, for example, if you go on the internet to ESPN or something they will already have a picture of the kickoff, moments after it happened. I'd suspect that technology will reach consumers eventually.
greg0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 01:23 PM   #45
RA40
Trader Score: (6)

This discussion almost parallels computer use. We have the big bulky desktops, laptops, netbooks, tablets... each has a an area they can perform a basic task well and as certain levels of processing are called for, one finds a different tool more appropriate.

I know plenty of people who don't own a camera of any sort but have huge collections of photos shot on a cell phone. Whether they get them off the phone into an album to treasure those memories later is another.

Mike
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 01:23 PM

Tags
camera, cameras, cell, dedicated, phone, phones, versus