Register Forgot Password?

dedicated cameras vs. cell phones - colliding

Old 07-22-10, 02:56 AM   #16
infinus
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot9 View Post
If your DSLR uses a SD card, one of the card manufacture makes a wi-fi card that you can use to send images directly to your computer over the air. i forget who makes it. Too bad most Canon bodies dont use the SD format (except for the 1 series).
Your thinking of the eye-fi card. And it supports Facebook, flickr and a bunch of other sites: http://www.eye.fi
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 05-23-11, 07:11 PM   #17
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)

ok, nearly a year has passed, wanted to resurrect this topic.

as much as like the image quality out of my 7D, i hate the hassle of either taking out mem card or connecting via usb to computer, transferring pics, doing the edits (mostly to make them a sane size in pixels and bytes to send to people or post online).

like my phone, i want the ability to send pics straight to facebook, or video to youtube, etc. i just don't get why dslrs can't do this yet. i think dslr makers are missing the boat.

an sd card with wifi that can ftp or whatever to a local server is a limited kludge at best. plus my 7d doesn't take sd cards.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 08:11 AM   #18
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Bit - you can always get a SD to CF adapter. Try it out first though.

http://www.amazon.com/SD-CF-II-Type-.../dp/B000YZGCIU
Percy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 08:57 AM   #19
dubstar
Pole Position

IMHO, i think the people who actually "care" about their images aren't too concerned with a wifi enabled dslr. sure it would be nice, but would also drive up the price of the bodies I'm sure as well. yea it's a pain sometimes having to resize and upload and all that, but for me I enjoy the PP aspect, even though I am new to all this.
dubstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 02:08 PM   #20
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Send a message via Yahoo to Turbinator

Go out and get one of those EyeFi cards. That'll help you upload to your PC without having to hook up cables or remove your SD card.

I will never use anything but a dedicated dSLR for my photos.. I've taken some pictures using my camera phone and no matter what, I always yearn for the higher quality of the dSLR images. I am willing to put up with the hassle of carrying around the dSLR all day just to get the image quality I prefer.

Turby
Turbinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 10:25 PM   #21
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
Go out and get one of those EyeFi cards. That'll help you upload to your PC without having to hook up cables or remove your SD card.
thanks, but that doesn't address my complaint.

Quote:
I will never use anything but a dedicated dSLR for my photos.. I've taken some pictures using my camera phone and no matter what, I always yearn for the higher quality of the dSLR images. I am willing to put up with the hassle of carrying around the dSLR all day just to get the image quality I prefer.

Turby
i agree with all that. and yes, some like doing pp, and i don't mind when i have time, but there's no reason a dslr shouldn't be able to make images that are beautiful for the web right out of the camera and automatically send them there.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 07:39 PM   #22
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (8)

ulises carrillo teklust5401
Send a message via AIM to neojungle1

i know the nokia has the n97 mobile phone that uses a carl zeiss lens
and the samsung Pixon12 with optical lens (28mm ). so cell phone company are doing them just in different market i cant stand USA provider for not listening to there customer vs giving us the short end of the stick when it comes to mobile device and chooses
neojungle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 09:39 PM   #23
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
thanks, but that doesn't address my complaint.
Wait.

Quote:
Effortless sharing. Wirelessly send your JPEG photos and videos to a popular website. See the complete list you can choose from, which includes Flickr, Facebook, Picasa, MobileMe, and YouTube.
Doesn't that do it for you?

Turby
Old 05-26-11, 09:52 PM   #24
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (8)

ulises carrillo teklust5401
Send a message via AIM to neojungle1

something like this Samsung SH100 Digital Camera link up to mifi enable phone would give you the option to upload your images now, they sale for the 7d and other high end dslr a WiFi base Canon WFT-E5A that enble the option to link it up to a access point and remotely control your camera and also give you unlimited storage
neojungle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 11:33 PM   #25
RA40
Trader Score: (6)

I think if you wait long enough or as I see it, code an app that will allow post editing within the confines of the phone, you'll have diamond mine. This will have full capability in one device for capture, editing if desired and then for broadcast to your social or web page, etc.

No doubt as memory and processing capabilities increase, this is a matter of time. Then we may see that lull in SLR type sales as there was to some extent in the hobbyist side about 20 years ago. Hahaha...

I don't own one of those fancy phones, I would love the challenge to see what they are capable of.

Mike
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-11, 06:09 AM   #26
tools4fool
Lead Lap

I do have a HTC Desire HD and it's camera....sucks.

It's not bad in a sense that you take the image, resize it in an app and then upload it to the net - photobucket in this case.
All done in a few clicks.

But it is a far away from any digi camera in terms of image quality. Here's a sample and remind you this is taken with lot of light - as soon as light is not ideal IQ suffers massively.
1) Wheel
Click the image to open in full size.

The HD video quality looks quite fine on the other hand.

Last edited by tools4fool; 05-28-11 at 06:22 AM..
tools4fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-11, 06:22 AM   #27
tools4fool
Lead Lap

Needs some cleaning....

2) Lion

3) Bell

Exposer +1 on cell phone camera, then white frame added and auto contrast in cell phone software, resize to 800pixel, upload to photobucket.

Last edited by tools4fool; 05-28-11 at 06:39 AM..
tools4fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 12:01 AM   #28
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
I think if you wait long enough or as I see it, code an app that will allow post editing within the confines of the phone, you'll have diamond mine. This will have full capability in one device for capture, editing if desired and then for broadcast to your social or web page, etc.
I can already do a bit of post processing on my D7000; couple that with the Eye-Fi card, and you can do everything you need to make a picture web-publishing ready.

I guess what you're saying is you want to see this happen on cell phones. I agree, it's a matter of time before it happens.

Turby
Old 05-30-11, 02:05 AM   #29
QuachmanES
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (3)

I think eventually, phones will replace or at least enter the market of P/S cameras as they get better sensors and lenses. However, there is no way any other camera will be able to replace a dedicated DSLR for speed and quality.

Flickr
QuachmanES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 05:17 PM   #30
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (7)

ragnarokzero13 Kumquatism
Send a message via AIM to kumquatism

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuachmanES View Post
I think eventually, phones will replace or at least enter the market of P/S cameras as they get better sensors and lenses. However, there is no way any other camera will be able to replace a dedicated DSLR for speed and quality.
Exactly. When I want to take a quick picture to share with my friends on Facebook or something, I use my phone and take a quick picture. Yes, it's lightyears away from my DSLR in terms of quality, but it's Facebook...nobody really cares. When I'm out doing photography, that's where I never even dream of touching my phone. I'll take hundreds and hundreds of pictures and several videos, and bring it home to look at and edit, and that's where the DSLR cannot be beat.
kumquatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 05:17 PM

Tags
camera, cameras, cell, dedicated, phone, phones, versus