Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Digital Photography
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

NHRA Sport Compact @ Pomona Raceway (Semi Work Safe)

Old 10-23-07, 01:14 AM   #31
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum
Trader Score: (0)

S54-

Could it be that part of the women troubles are hormones AND attitude?

Gotta get you to a college with a high female ratio. And have all of them be horndogs.

You'll be alot thinner! No really...thinner than you are now!

OK...So we send S54 to a totally populated jungle full of amazon women....
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Percy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-07, 01:58 AM   #32
S54toIS350
Lexus Champion

Women always blame their trouble on hormones; just as much as men blame women troubles on PMS.

Amazon... you mean brazil? Whens the flight?
S54toIS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-07, 02:15 AM   #33
RA40
Trader Score: (6)

It's a whole different scene these days. In the late 80 and early 90's I was doing portraiture and "glamor" styled shoots. The gals I would approach though to my tastes were very different. The whole sexual thing wasn't as in your face as it is now. I know Percy deals with it with noobs... the stereo typical photographer is after nudes/figures or such. That makes it tougher because they have the radar up high at the mere word photographer. That's why Percy maintains you have your portfolio so they don't feel it is some line for a date encounter.

So Cal is a tough crowd due to the high competition of pretty faces/bodies that abound. While not as "glamorous" from the "surrounded by females" image...shooting men is interesting. It's a different style that allows you to use a harder edge and less lighting gear. Women you wind up using big diffusers, and other soft lighting techniques most the time. You can shoot a guy hard light with hard shadows...it is masculine. With a woman...she'll kill you. Agencies see lots of females...tough market.

I bet a bunch of the local CL guys would be happy to have a portrait done with their ride. An informal shoot like that covers two good areas...posing and cars. I liked the shots you did of at one of the CL meets...learning the complimenting angles and proportions... this will be a nice part of your portfolio at this stage.

My thoughts FWIW.

Mike
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-07, 03:00 AM   #34
S54toIS350
Lexus Champion

How about these two older cats, both stuffed with silicone.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-23-07, 11:45 AM   #35
Ghostbusta
Driver

We all know what that guy is looking down at.......not the paper work
Ghostbusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-07, 12:55 PM   #36
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

S54-

The proportion of better looking women is getting harder to find these days. Yes, there were and still are bad ones (like the older models that you posted) but there was also much more refinement and elegance with the previous generation, provided that they were better looking.

In the past you wouldn't have an asian model in a thong pose in a all out spread eagle pose. Now you see them in covers of import tuner or the likes. Back then they had grace, style and form. Nowadays it seems like they're either bending over or showing off their silicone.

Such a changed view of women.
Percy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-07, 12:58 PM   #37
RA40
Trader Score: (6)

I was thinking about this...

What I did in the day was I approached the gals at the dept store make-up counters that I needed a make-up/stylist for a shoot. This benefits both of you since if you continue to progress, they will get their name into the biz as well. Some may do it complimentary or for a small fee.

Arrange your model and have her come natural/no make-up. Then apply as necessary to your plan. The other benefit is you will have another female on the shoot so it's not a one on one thing. Your make-up artist may even be willing to hold the reflectors or such so it's nice.

What I did was we'd all meet, discuss the shoot and arrange the shoot day. Most gals have tons of clothes so I was able to look through their wardrobe and pick the necessary clothes. If not depending on the shoot, I would buy them clothes. This was also a pleasant shopping trip so I'd see them in a variety of clothing settings.

The day of the shoot, I'd treat to lunch or such following. I did this pretty much through the years I was taking photo classes and it was a nice system. I could also borrow the lighting gear so it was a low cost shoot. Some of the cosmetic gals are cute so you can get an extra model for the projects. This little network will expand as your name circulates. If done well, you will transition into other areas of "glamor" photography if that is your desire.

With your affluent friends, a residential shoot allows for some nice backgrounds and props. Poolside, Ferrari, Porsche...purrfect.

Mike
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-07, 06:38 PM   #38
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)

Guys, please let's get back to photography and take the talk about all aspects of the perfect woman somewhere else. Thanks.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-07, 10:10 PM   #39
S54toIS350
Lexus Champion

Okay, back to the action folks!

Here is a race between a 7 sec Mazda and a 7 sec Toyota Solara

Surprisingly, out of 14 continuous shots, ALL of them were in focus. Maybe I'm missing something with my camera here...

Last edited by S54toIS350; 10-23-07 at 10:29 PM..
Old 10-23-07, 11:11 PM   #40
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)

The more I see of your 1DMkIII, the more I'm impressed at how sharp and colorful the results are compared to other Canon models.

I'm still looking at my options for a new DSLR.

The new Sony A700 and Nikon D300 with the VGA LCDs are tempting too.

The 1DMkIII is not only way more $ than I'd like to spend, it's larger and heavier than what I'd like to lug around. Heck, playing with a 40D the other night made me realize I'd forgotten how big DSLRs are (except something like the XTi).

Anyway, enough of that... nice shots!!!
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 12:48 AM   #41
S54toIS350
Lexus Champion

Thanks Bit

I think a lot of the sharpness and color comes from my post processing work flow. Don't forget I shoot all my photos in RAW.

Having a camera that takes good pictures just reduces the stress and time it takes to post process an image. So in that regards, the Mk III is light years easier (at least for me) to post process as compared to my previous 30D. USM + Levels and sometimes shadow/ highlights; thats it.

In regards to the A700 and D300. I'm curious to see how much juice it takes to power those nice VGA screens. The Mk III has a phenomenal battery life. I noticed if I crank the brightness up to 1 notch less than max, the battery drain is noticable vs stock setting.

Having a Nice VGA screen is definitely nice, but like most things, its only fun for the first several weeks, after that the practicality affect kicks in. I only use the VGA screen to verify focus, and visual entertainment when I'm in the restroom, other than that I really don't care for it.

Anyways, back to the photos, here is a few more and probably will be the last for this thread.

1 - For my Asian lovers out there.

2 - Can't forget about Pimp ' Tonus.
Old 10-24-07, 02:26 AM   #42
CptnTonus
Lexus Test Driver

Send a message via AIM to CptnTonus

Oh geezus! That is way too well-detailed. The least you could've done is cloned-out my pimples. Haha.
CptnTonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 11:06 PM   #43
S54toIS350
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnTonus View Post
Oh geezus! That is way too well-detailed. The least you could've done is cloned-out my pimples. Haha.
Lol, done.
Old 10-24-07, 11:15 PM   #44
CptnTonus
Lexus Test Driver

Send a message via AIM to CptnTonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by S54toIS350 View Post
Lol, done.
Thank you. Now I can post that pic on myspace. Hehehe.
CptnTonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 11:15 PM