CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

How to install HIDs?

Old 06-26-15, 12:20 PM
jackpai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install HIDs?

Hi All,

I just bought a 2015 white f-sport CT200h! I'm very pleased with it, besides the fact that they came with halogen headlights. I'm considering installing these on them:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...ystem-h11.html

I've read a lot of good things on this website, and I want to install them by myself. The problem is, I don't know how to tie down all the extra wires and harnesses and such. Does anyone have a picture of how they tied it down or a guide?

I was going to have it professionally done, but the guy said he was going to charge me $340...any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 06-26-15, 01:54 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where are you located? my guy in socal charges only $60

it takes less than 30 mins, $340 is ridiculous
Old 06-26-15, 02:09 PM
jackpai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whlkev
where are you located? my guy in socal charges only $60

it takes less than 30 mins, $340 is ridiculous
Probably because I haven't bought the lights yet...I work in Irvine!
Old 06-26-15, 02:56 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The first thing you need to figure out is how effective the bulbs are in a halogen housing. Halogen and xenon projectors housings are two different animals with different focus points. The lenses are also typically different with different focus heights(anywhere from 22mm-30mm).

If you're just looking for the xenon look, the swap is simple. If you're wanting to swap to HIDs to increase light output, that requires effort. Why? Because while HID bulbs may have more light output, it's pointless if that light isn't properly focused.
Old 06-26-15, 03:04 PM
jackpai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NickTee
The first thing you need to figure out is how effective the bulbs are in a halogen housing. Halogen and xenon projectors housings are two different animals with different focus points. The lenses are also typically different with different focus heights(anywhere from 22mm-30mm).

If you're just looking for the xenon look, the swap is simple. If you're wanting to swap to HIDs to increase light output, that requires effort. Why? Because while HID bulbs may have more light output, it's pointless if that light isn't properly focused.
Actually, they're not in halogen housings. The car came equipped with projector housings, but it's just the lightbulbs are halogen

I just wanted to make sure that the 2015 model low beam/foglights are also H11? I was looking and I'm not sure if I should get H11A or H11B.
Old 06-26-15, 03:09 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jackpai
Actually, they're not in halogen housings. The car came equipped with projector housings, but it's just the lightbulbs are halogen

I just wanted to make sure that the 2015 model low beam/foglights are also H11? I was looking and I'm not sure if I should get H11A or H11B.
Actually, they ARE halogen housings. Did you not read the very next sentence? "Halogen and xenon projectors housings are two different animals with different focus points. The lenses are also typically different with different focus heights(anywhere from 22mm-30mm)."
Just because it's a projector housing does not mean it's automatically an HID housing. There are halogen projectors and xenon projectors, and they're different because the bulb focus and light spread are different. People think projector=hid, but it doesn't.

Last edited by NickTee; 06-26-15 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 03:13 PM
jackpai
Driver School Candidate

Actually, they ARE halogen housings. Did you not read the very next sentence? "Halogen and xenon projectors housings are two different animals with different focus points. The lenses are also typically different with different focus heights(anywhere from 22mm-30mm)."
Just because it's a projector housing does not mean it's automatically an HID housing. There are halogen projectors and xenon projectors and they're different because the bulb focus and light spread are different. People think projector=hid, but it doesn't.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. I mean the reason why I want to change them is because I want them to match my LEDs, and I want a little bit more visibility. What would you recommend I do? I'd appreciate some links/brands to look at! Thanks!!
Old 06-26-15, 03:16 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jackpai, lots of people have put in HIDs (and LEDs) to replace halogens. Forum search between here and ct200hforum.com/forum/ for DIY guides and reviews.
Old 06-26-15, 03:41 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

It sounds like your main goal is the xenon look, so you can honestly just have someone stick the appropriate HID bulb/ballast directly into the headlight and call it a day. It will give you the look you want and may or may not give you more usable light output.
To do it the right way is a whole different animal and requires quite a bit of effort and expertise, as well as the funds to do it correctly.

As I mentioned before, the projectors of a halogen bulb and a xenon bulb are different and they spread light differently and the most basic thing you can do is adjust the bulb distance from the lens. I have found that when you retrofit HID bulbs into a halogen housing, the bulb is typically too close to the lens and it spreads the light out in all directions. Moving the bulb back will focus the light more and will make it brighter. Depending on the housing design, you may or may not be able to easily do this.

The best way to do it is to buy a dedicated HID projector and retrofit it into the headlight. Of course, this will cost a large amount of money unless you do it yourself. And doing it yourself is still quite a bit of an undertaking.
Old 06-26-15, 03:46 PM
jackpai
Driver School Candidate

It sounds like your main goal is the xenon look, so you can honestly just have someone stick the appropriate HID bulb/ballast directly into the headlight and call it a day. It will give you the look you want and may or may not give you more usable light output.
To do it the right way is a whole different animal and requires quite a bit of effort and expertise, as well as the funds to do it correctly.

As I mentioned before, the projectors of a halogen bulb and a xenon bulb are different and they spread light differently and the most basic thing you can do is adjust the bulb distance from the lens. I have found that when you retrofit HID bulbs into a halogen housing, the bulb is typically too close to the lens and it spreads the light out in all directions. Moving the bulb back will focus the light more and will make it brighter. Depending on the housing design, you may or may not be able to easily do this.

The best way to do it is to buy a dedicated HID projector and retrofit it into the headlight. Of course, this will cost a large amount of money unless you do it yourself. And doing it yourself is still quite a bit of an undertaking.
NickTee, thank you for the quick responses today!

I think I'm gonna go ahead and install LED headlights. I was looking at these on Amazon:

Amazon.com: OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Arc-Glass™ Clear Beam Kit - H11 (H8, H9) - 60w 7,000Lm Crystal White 6K CREE - 2 Yr Warranty: Automotive Amazon.com: OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Arc-Glass™ Clear Beam Kit - H11 (H8, H9) - 60w 7,000Lm Crystal White 6K CREE - 2 Yr Warranty: Automotive

They seem to have great reviews too. The only thing I'm concerned about is that the "driver cool control unit" seems like it will be suspended in the engine...hopefully that will be okay. I also just want to make sure that the headlights are H11?
Old 06-27-15, 04:04 AM
ceo2be
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jackpai,

There's no reason why you can't install a HID kit in your car even if it has halogen projector. Plenty of people have done so and the output is fine. Don't believe the people that tell you otherwise. It doesn't require a lot of effort and it's pretty easy to install.

Here is the link to a 2012 CT200h with HID kit installed.
Old 06-27-15, 04:44 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

if you do end up with those led bulbs off amazon ....... pics please!
Old 06-27-15, 08:22 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ceo2be
Jackpai,

There's no reason why you can't install a HID kit in your car even if it has halogen projector. Plenty of people have done so and the output is fine. Don't believe the people that tell you otherwise. It doesn't require a lot of effort and it's pretty easy to install.

Here is the link to a 2012 CT200h with HID kit installed.
Don't believe anyone that tells you that simply sticking an HID kit into a halogen projector is the right way, either. In fact, avoid anything they say thereafter.
Old 06-27-15, 11:50 AM
ceo2be
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't believe anyone that tells you that simply sticking an HID kit into a halogen projector is the right way, either. In fact, avoid anything they say thereafter.
I stuck a HID kit into my Pilot with halogen projector and it's fine. I'm not blinding the incoming vehicles and I'm happy with the light output. As long as you don't expect it to perform as good as a real HID light then you're fine.
Old 06-27-15, 11:54 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ceo2be
I stuck a HID kit into my Pilot with halogen projector and it's fine. I'm not blinding the incoming vehicles and I'm happy with the light output. As long as you don't expect it to perform as good as a real HID light then you're fine.
1. How do you know they're not blinding oncoming drivers? Just because you're not being flashed does not mean that they're not blinding people.
2. As I said before, you can simply stick an HID kit into a halogen projector and it will work. But it's not the correct way to do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to install HIDs?