CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

How to install HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-15, 02:09 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Instead of telling everyone they're doing it wrong, I'll try to offer some actual help. The "best" way to install HIDs in our CTs, would be to retrofit (replace) the OEM halogen projectors. This would require one to remove the headlight housing from the car, bake/heat it in order to open the housing, swap out the projectors, and then reseal the housing and hope there aren't any leaks. I believe only one CT owner, nabbun, made a post about doing this. I've DIY'd retrofitting in another car with the Morimoto kit, but it was somewhat time consuming and I didn't have a choice since the car didn't have projectors.

My recommendation would be to save the time and just swap the bulbs. You'll see an interesting cut-off, but you can easily go back to stock or go the retrofit route.

Originally Posted by jackpai
I think I'm gonna go ahead and install LED headlights. I was looking at these on Amazon:

Amazon.com: OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Arc-Glass™ Clear Beam Kit - H11 (H8, H9) - 60w 7,000Lm Crystal White 6K CREE - 2 Yr Warranty: Automotive

They seem to have great reviews too. The only thing I'm concerned about is that the "driver cool control unit" seems like it will be suspended in the engine...hopefully that will be okay. I also just want to make sure that the headlights are H11?
Yes, our headlights are H11. These LEDs seem pretty awesome. I hope it's actually 7,000LM because I have two sets of LEDs, 4,800LM and 6,000LM, but I can't tell the difference in brightness. As for that control unit, you can search where people have attached their HID ballasts and put that in the same spot. Post up some pics if you get them.
Old 06-27-15, 03:57 PM
ceo2be
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NickTee
1. How do you know they're not blinding oncoming drivers? Just because you're not being flashed does not mean that they're not blinding people.
2. As I said before, you can simply stick an HID kit into a halogen projector and it will work. But it's not the correct way to do it.
Because I have driven in front of the car while my wife was driving behind me. Also, you can stand in front of the car and the lights are not so bright it will glare the other driver. .
Old 06-27-15, 09:12 PM
jackpai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtnoboru
Instead of telling everyone they're doing it wrong, I'll try to offer some actual help. The "best" way to install HIDs in our CTs, would be to retrofit (replace) the OEM halogen projectors. This would require one to remove the headlight housing from the car, bake/heat it in order to open the housing, swap out the projectors, and then reseal the housing and hope there aren't any leaks. I believe only one CT owner, nabbun, made a post about doing this. I've DIY'd retrofitting in another car with the Morimoto kit, but it was somewhat time consuming and I didn't have a choice since the car didn't have projectors.

My recommendation would be to save the time and just swap the bulbs. You'll see an interesting cut-off, but you can easily go back to stock or go the retrofit route.

Yes, our headlights are H11. These LEDs seem pretty awesome. I hope it's actually 7,000LM because I have two sets of LEDs, 4,800LM and 6,000LM, but I can't tell the difference in brightness. As for that control unit, you can search where people have attached their HID ballasts and put that in the same spot. Post up some pics if you get them.
thank you for this! i will be sure to post up pics
Old 07-04-15, 05:40 PM
jackpai
Driver School Candidate

here's some pics of what my car looked/looks like now! i installed the OPT7 LEDs and they turned out fantastic. enjoy! the first pic looks a little neon green because of the shorts i was wearing hahaha

How to install HIDs?-20150701_204829.jpg
Bulbs in the packaging
How to install HIDs?-20150701_201051.jpg
Before:
How to install HIDs?-20150701_203341.jpg
After:
How to install HIDs?-20150701_203332.jpg
Old 07-06-15, 03:13 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jtnoboru

Thanks for the shout out.

I recommend retrofit vs kits. However, it's a bit daunting for most and costs too much for the rest. Kits are just fine if you get quality units like Morimoto 3five. I put that on my parent's Camry hybrid and they love it. I installed a DDM tuning kit in my cousin's car but, it caught fire after a year. He didn't want to spend more for the 3five. So I bought and installed a 3five kit on his new car and zero complaints.
Old 09-09-16, 08:54 AM
alpraz0lam
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
where are you located? my guy in socal charges only $60

it takes less than 30 mins, $340 is ridiculous
what is the shop called? I'm actually looking for a place to install my hids. I contacted hid masters in Huntington Beach and they're quoted me $80 to install head and fog lights
Old 09-09-16, 01:30 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by alpraz0lam
what is the shop called? I'm actually looking for a place to install my hids. I contacted hid masters in Huntington Beach and they're quoted me $80 to install head and fog lights
Are they going to retrofit the assemblies with new projectors? If not, $80 is a rip. I'm in HB and will do the (non-retrofit) swap for you and I can show you mine so you see how it looks. PM me if you're interested.
Old 09-09-16, 05:56 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

If you guys are just talking plug and play kits, that's easy. your ballasts will just be taped to the nearest flat metal spot on the car. Don't expect me to stuff the ballasts inside your headlights lol. Live in OC Irvine off 5/jeffrey, i'll do it for $40.

if you have a harness that pulls power from the battery, i'll charge you a little more. route the wires nicely and do it all neat.
Old 09-10-16, 02:37 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
If you guys are just talking plug and play kits, that's easy. your ballasts will just be taped to the nearest flat metal spot on the car. Don't expect me to stuff the ballasts inside your headlights lol. Live in OC Irvine off 5/jeffrey, i'll do it for $40.

if you have a harness that pulls power from the battery, i'll charge you a little more. route the wires nicely and do it all neat.
So you tell me in another thread what i'm doing is dangerous yet you are willing to get paid to install it on someone else's car?
Old 09-10-16, 10:26 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

i now live in westminister. its seriously easy to install them. no need to pay $ to get them installed. let's have a socal meet up one day, and install everyone's HID's haha