Advice on color?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 05:28 AM
snivy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on color?

Hi all,

I'm getting a CT and for the colour I like to keep it simple so I'm choosing between grey and white. I like both color equally so for me it's down to which one would be easier to maintain.

I'm leaning more towards grey at this stage because I feel it wouldn't show mud/dirt so easily but please correct me if I'm wrong because the grey does seem to be of a rather dark shade.

If any owners of white and/or grey CTs can share with me what they're happy/unhappy about their choices that'd be much appreciated, thanks!

I tried to look around the forum but I couldn't find many photos/discussions relation to color.

(Also, just out of curiosity, I'm getting the base model but I only saw the white on the F-Sport one, I think these two whites are slightly different, does anyone know what's the difference between these?)
Old 05-19-15, 06:52 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

The standard CT's white color is a pearl while, like a milky white. The F Sport's white is a pure bright white.

I know that Lexus offers the Redline color with a self-healing clearcoat. Earlier I wrote that Nebula Grey was also included but I edited that out, because now I remember that I read that in the RC forum, where the RC gets it on other colors.

You may want to ask Lexus in the Lexus Customer Service forum about this if it's something that would affect your decision.

Last edited by Raidin; 05-19-15 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-19-15, 12:00 PM
lcneed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best color to not show dust/dirt is Fire Agate. It is kind of chocolate color. Dark grey is pretty good too. Black (really really black) cars are the worst. Every little dust will show. White is probably the 2nd worst color to not show dirt after Black.

I have the Fire Agate, but I think White looks better. If I get to choose again I would pick White even though I will have to wash it more often.
Old 05-19-15, 12:37 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snivy
If any owners of white and/or grey CTs can share with me what they're happy/unhappy about their choices that'd be much appreciated, thanks!

I tried to look around the forum but I couldn't find many photos/discussions relation to color.
I think the reason that you don't find many discussions regarding color choice is because it's personal preference. I don't think many would choose how quickly a car looks dirty before their preferred color, however, I can understand why you're asking since my previous car was black and it looked dirty quicker than my nebula gray pearl CT. Gray cars in general mask dirt pretty well since it has less contract compared to black or white.

IMO: Black also doesn't really show the sleekness/contours of the car from a distance. I didn't choose white because it's become too standard for Lexus cars (every commercial, etc.). It's like how almost every Audi is black and Infinity is gray, but the white is a nice and not as attention grabbing as red or blue.

Last edited by RonSwanson; 06-30-15 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-19-15, 04:31 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure where in California you are and how hot it gets there. I'm in South Florida and heat load is a big concern as is ability of paint to survive the sun.

Our CT is white as was most cars we've owned. The best color car I've had that hides dirt is light brown or beige. It never looked dirty. Unfortunately after we sold it to my brother-in-law the paint started to fail since he parked it outside.

I will tell you that the white CT tailgate and bumper gets dirty very quickly as did my White Expedition but white cars rarely have paint failures.

My SC430 is Matador Red and boy, it's gets dirty quickly but when clean it sparkles.
Old 05-23-15, 06:14 PM
Coinops
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a 2012 Fire Agate (brown) and a 2015 Eminent White (his and hers CT's) and I think the Fire Agate shows more dirt than the White. It certainly shows more salt in the winter. The Fire Agate also shows scratches more than the white. We really like the Fire Agate color, but won't get another one.
Old 05-23-15, 11:50 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I have silver and it sparkles and looks show room new since I have a layer of 22PLE, which is like a glass coating that seems to prevent dirt from sticking. I haven't washed it in 6 months and looks dirt free except in the back. Although silver is common, dirt and swirl marks are hard to see because the color is close to light reflection.
Old 06-06-15, 10:43 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Color is definitely a personal preference/choice. With that stated I have a grey (smokey granite mica) 2011 CT 200h. Originally I was debating on either getting a fire agate pearl or smokey granite mica and chose the latter.

As far as dirt showing I think the grey hides it better. I do have to say washing the CT is a breeze since it's a small car. It takes me a lot longer to wash and dry my GX than my CT.

Let us know which color you choose and post pictures. Either color you chose enjoy your CT 200h...

Last edited by Trexus; 06-06-15 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-08-15, 01:11 PM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be careful with Nebula Grey Pearl since it seems to be a camouflage type of color. I've been telling my wife for years that when I get a sleeper, I'd want it to be the color of "asphalt grey" or something similar that blends in. The problem with that thought process is that it's only beneficial if you intend on going faster than traffic and the potential downside is you have to put in more effort in parking locations to avoid getting door dings.

Since ownership, it has been rear ended three times, two from stop lights/ stop sign and once while it was PARKED. My wife's the primary driver of the CT and at the time of pickup, she was the one who ended up choosing the color. Now after only 1.5 years, she completely understands the camouflage aspect of color and wish she would of chosen something brighter like white.