CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

What is that noise when you come to a stop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 04:52 PM
Jezo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is that noise when you come to a stop?

So whenever I come to a stop the car makes a noise. Not a noise like something is broken but a hybrid something or another noise that I am just not used to because this is my first car of it's type. When you come to a stop, at least when I am in slow speeds or in EV mode, the car makes a "greeeeeee--" and then gets silent. It's like a power transfer something coming from the front. I never really thought about it until my wife asked me what it was today and I had no answer other than "It's something to do with the hybrid system".

So, what is it?
Old 03-09-15, 05:23 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The Vehicle Proximity Notification System (whew...) is a speaker under the front grill that emits a variable
tone to warn pedestrians that you are approaching using only electric drive. It is off when you are stopped,
loudest when you first lift off the brake and changes pitch as you speed up. If the IC engine fires up the sound
shuts off, in any case it goes off above 15 MPH.
Sounds a bit like blowing across a giant pop bottle, kind of a hollow "wooshie" sound. Works in reverse but
the speaker is in the front so not as effective, does really echo in a garage while backing however!
Old 03-09-15, 09:44 PM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP: If you don't like it, you can even pop open your hood and reach in to disconnect it. I've had mine disconnected for a year. I kind of miss it and may reconnect it again.
Old 03-10-15, 03:48 AM
Jezo
Driver

This one doesn't sound like a woosh or a pop though, it something else. I wonder if I can record it when driving around the neighborhood, I'll give that a shot today. I only hear it when I stop, nothing else, and it sort of appears then goes away right as I am pulling up to the stop sign or light.
Old 03-10-15, 08:19 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

The Proximity sounds like Darth Vader.

What ur hearing is probably the regenerative braking system. It's charging the battery whenever u step on the brakes.
Old 03-10-15, 09:28 PM
Turkish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jezo
This one doesn't sound like a woosh or a pop though, it something else. I wonder if I can record it when driving around the neighborhood, I'll give that a shot today. I only hear it when I stop, nothing else, and it sort of appears then goes away right as I am pulling up to the stop sign or light.
I am thinking that you are referring to the regenerative brake system? Many hybrids use some of the kenetic energy in the brakes to charge the batteries so when you are coasting to a stop or lightly apply the brakes the brakes let off a whirling (car also feels like its under a load) and those are the brakes.

If its an audible beep then I would say it is indeed the proximity sensor.
Old 03-11-15, 05:43 AM
Jezo
Driver

Here is a video captured this morning, the noise can be heard at the three second mark.

CT 200h noise: http://youtu.be/AU0RFW340xk

The noise can be heard when the car is slowing down, this one was me going maybe 4 or 5 mph in a parking garage. It happens pretty regularly when going that speed after a drive.
Old 03-11-15, 07:27 AM
chroma23
Driver School Candidate

i have that sound too. i think it's the regenerative brake system, but others can chime in. could very well be a pedestrian warning system too

Last edited by chroma23; 03-11-15 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-11-15, 08:47 PM
lcneed
Driver

But if Jezo's CT is 2011, it would not have the Vehicle Proximity Notification system. They only start putting that in 2012 CT. I have a 2012 CT early year model and it doesn't have it.

That sound in the video does not sound like the regen brake. My regen brake gave a more continuous sound and higher pitch. The sound from the video is almost like the sound from anti-lock brake.
Old 03-12-15, 03:45 AM
Jezo
Driver

Originally Posted by lcneed
That sound in the video does not sound like the regen brake. My regen brake gave a more continuous sound and higher pitch. The sound from the video is almost like the sound from anti-lock brake.
The mystery continues!
Old 03-21-15, 05:15 AM
Jezo
Driver

A week has passed and we still do not know for sure..
Old 03-22-15, 02:45 PM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just saw the video and have that noise as well. At least you can rest knowing that's normal.
Old 03-23-15, 12:04 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

If it's a low moan as you come to a stop, then that's probably the traction motor doing regen braking. It can be a bit loud from the inside sometimes. The traction motor has a very high-pitched sound that's barely noticeable when you're driving on battery power or braking from high speeds.
Old 03-26-15, 03:12 PM
redrobot
Driver School Candidate

Wouldn't it be a bad idea to disconnect the speaker that creates these sounds... for pedestrians?
Old 04-07-15, 11:41 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Currently have a CT loaner vehicle and I have to say this is the loudest and weirdest Lexus hybrid I have ever driven. As an RXh driver, I am used to the regenerative sound when braking. But the CT has a bunch of whirring, whizzing, clicking.

In addition to the regenerative braking noise
1) Brake pedal actually makes a "click" noise at the very first sign of being depressed
2) high pitched ringing, like that sound you get when you have ringing in your ears, all while the brake pedal is depressed

Quick Reply: What is that noise when you come to a stop?