CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Back-Up Camera in Rearview Mirror? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-15, 10:31 AM
sphereman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back-Up Camera in Rearview Mirror? Worth it?

Hi Everyone

I am looking to get a new 2015 CT200 shortly and have one burning question to ask

I want a back-up camera but don't want to spend a ton on the tech package (navi and etc).
You can go the back-up camera only option route for about $500 more but it is installed in the tiny rear-view mirror. What a joke!

Has anyone had experience with this tiny screen rearview mirror backup camera in their CTs?
Is it worth getting it? or should I just forget about it and go without it.

For more info, I am leasing my CT and the difference in monthly payment is about $10.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-03-15, 10:38 AM
chroma23
Driver School Candidate

well....the view is small but its better than no view, right?

i find that even though it's small, the location is convenient because if you are backing up chances are you are looking at the rear view mirror anyways, no? that way you get to see both the mirror and the camera view, as supposed to looking up and down all the time between the mirror and some dash display

so all in all i am content with the camera view on the mirror and does the job/serves its purpose fine. and plus, many dash display camera views are enlarged to fit the big screen, making the picture blurry anyways

but whether it's worth it or not, depends on your needs and your budget really.
Old 03-03-15, 10:51 AM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sphereman
Hi Everyone

I am looking to get a new 2015 CT200 shortly and have one burning question to ask

I want a back-up camera but don't want to spend a ton on the tech package (navi and etc).
You can go the back-up camera only option route for about $500 more but it is installed in the tiny rear-view mirror. What a joke!

Has anyone had experience with this tiny screen rearview mirror backup camera in their CTs?
Is it worth getting it? or should I just forget about it and go without it.

For more info, I am leasing my CT and the difference in monthly payment is about $10.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Have you had a car with a rear cam before? I haven't before this one and now I probably wouldn't own a car without one especially since I DIY'd the camera into my CT and could probably figure out how to put it in my future car if it doesn't have one. Cost was about $200 and my screen is 4.3" which I wouldn't call a joke (crime stopper rear view mirror and boyo cam). There are plenty of DIY guides to research if you're interested in going that route. I also have 5% rear tint and the CT hatch window is small, so a rear cam was a must for me.
Old 03-03-15, 11:25 AM
sphereman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jtnoboru
Have you had a car with a rear cam before? I haven't before this one and now I probably wouldn't own a car without one especially since I DIY'd the camera into my CT and could probably figure out how to put it in my future car if it doesn't have one. Cost was about $200 and my screen is 4.3" which I wouldn't call a joke (crime stopper rear view mirror and boyo cam). There are plenty of DIY guides to research if you're interested in going that route. I also have 5% rear tint and the CT hatch window is small, so a rear cam was a must for me.

Yes, my other cars have a back-up camera and i really like using them (on a larger screen).
My main concern was whether the small sized screen would do a proper job or not.

thanks for the input!
Old 03-03-15, 01:43 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

I've used both types of rear view camera, and while the view is small in the rear view mirror, you should see more than enough detail to tell what's back there, especially if they offer guidelines on this type.

It's more worthwhile to have it, even with a small screen, than not have it.

You may wanna stop by your local dealer and try reverse-parking a CT without a camera and then with one, and see what you think.
Old 03-06-15, 06:06 AM
usando
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a rear view camera that installs into the license plate light and replaced the rear view mirror with one with a small display.

I think it works just fine. You don't need a large view. It's the wide angle and night vision that really help.

Also, with a small display that only comes on when you're in reverse, it's a nice stealth look.
Old 03-06-15, 06:09 AM
usando
Driver School Candidate

I installed a rear view camera that installs into the license plate light and replaced the rear view mirror with one with a small display.

I think it works just fine. You don't need a large view. It's the wide angle and night vision that really help.

Also, with a small display that only comes on when you're in reverse, it's a nice stealth look.

http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lex...r-install.html
Old 03-07-15, 09:13 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up I like it just fine.

My CT has NAV and therefore the backup cam is in the big screen. My wife's RX350 does not have NAV and the backup cam is in the rearview mirror. I use them both equally and can't really say I prefer one over another. I will say that it's nice that the cam in the rearview mirror is very convenient, as opposed to having to look elsewhere. Additionally, the picture, while smaller, still shows everything I need. BTW, who needs NAV these days with a smartphone and a bluetooth connection?
Old 03-08-15, 08:05 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
BTW, who needs NAV these days with a smartphone and a bluetooth connection?
Yep, that's why I saved $1,500 by going with the Display Audio package. Still has a rear view camera on the big screen.
Old 03-08-15, 07:17 PM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
BTW, who needs NAV these days with a smartphone and a bluetooth connection?
For city driving I agree. However your opinion will change as soon as you do a road trip and encounter places without cellular signals (like I did).

For short term lease/owners perhaps it's an easier choice, however for long time owners, $1.5k spread throughout 10+ years is a no-brainer. Besides, believe it or not, I do know a few folks who still don't own a smart phone.
Old 03-08-15, 08:13 PM
chroma23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by edgalang
For city driving I agree. However your opinion will change as soon as you do a road trip and encounter places without cellular signals (like I did).

For short term lease/owners perhaps it's an easier choice, however for long time owners, $1.5k spread throughout 10+ years is a no-brainer. Besides, believe it or not, I do know a few folks who still don't own a smart phone.
unless you need data for real-time traffic data, there are navigation apps that are designed to work with offline maps. i use that for road trips myself (i use navmii USA myself)
Old 03-08-15, 10:06 PM
DarkMastyr
Driver School Candidate

Backup cam in rear view mirror works nice. I don't find myself squinting or struggling with it at all. Plenty clear and visible, and very usable.
Old 03-09-15, 08:24 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Yes, it's nice to have when backing up.

Old 10-19-15, 11:20 AM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

the backup camera in the rear view mirror looks better than the one in my G37 and I am hoping its due to the license plate LED's being much brighter.

Last edited by DreamerzCC; 10-28-15 at 11:13 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-19-15, 01:20 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I was hauling a refrigerator the other day and my rear visibility got reduced to zero, and one time I was backing up in the dark and I can't see anything on my mirrors but I can see with the cam as it is bright even at night.

So yes the back cam really helps!