Mini VCI Cable TechStream

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-15, 02:57 PM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CrysDark
Usando

The cable you linked states support for Kline, does it not?
That's the second cable he bought.
Old 02-25-15, 09:43 AM
craig72
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for that great writeup. I ordered one of the 'wrong' 1.4.1 cables two days before you wrote this! I hooked it up last night, and it seemed to work okay except for the fact that I cannot get to the engine ECU, which is what I really need to look at. I found the link this morning to the AliExpress one you mentioned with 2.0.4 firmware. I am planning on ordering one of those. Even at double the price (which I will have ended up paying) its still worth the cost. Thanks again!
Old 02-26-15, 08:21 AM
usando
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excuse me while I vent a little.

I sold the 1st cable I bought on EBay for $4. Full disclosure. I stated clearly there was no K-Line support and that it only works on older Toyotas. I stated very clearly it will not work with newer Toyotas.

Buyer wants a refund because he can't install the software correctly. He says the cable is a fake. I told him there are no "official" installation instructions. All of these cables are knock offs. If he wants a "real" cable he has to buy the Techstream cable for $5000. I also sent him links to installation instructions.

What the hell is wrong with people? You buy a cable for $4 that normally costs $5000. What the hell do you expect?!! If you don't want to spend the effort to hack the installation then buy the "real" thing. You buy a knock off and expect everything to be just plug and play?! Idiot.

I can't tell if this guy is a scammer or just that stupid.

Last edited by usando; 02-26-15 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-26-15, 10:05 AM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by usando
Excuse me while I vent a little.

I sold the 1st cable I bought on EBay for $4. Full disclosure. I stated clearly there was no K-Line support and that it only works on older Toyotas. I stated very clearly it will not work with newer Toyotas.

Buyer wants a refund because he can't install the software correctly. He says the cable is a fake. I told him there are no "official" installation instructions. All of these cables are knock offs. If he wants a "real" cable he has to buy the Techstream cable for $5000. I also sent him links to installation instructions.

What the hell is wrong with people? You buy a cable for $4 that normally costs $5000. What the hell do you expect?!! If you don't want to spend the effort to hack the installation then buy the "real" thing. You buy a knock off and expect everything to be just plug and play?! Idiot.

That sucks man. Obviously it's not worth getting worked up about someone who doesn't even know how to properly install software. Anyway, if he files a claim, eBay will probably just refund him out of their pocket.
Old 02-26-15, 10:44 AM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say a scammer. It's a pain to sell anything in Ebay.
Old 02-27-15, 08:31 AM
usando
Driver School Candidate

Stupidest thing is if he just followed the instructions found here or any widely available forum he'd see how easy it is to do. If you dont know about hacking the install you shouldn't even be working on your car with this cable. What a moron.

Agree with nacke. eBay does nothing to protect honest sellers. Any idiot can complain about something and the seller is screwed.

Last edited by usando; 02-27-15 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-27-15, 09:31 AM
usando
Driver School Candidate

Default Good guys win!

I contacted eBay and they agreed to remove the negative feedback because the buyer violated their policy. The buyer threatened me with negative feedback unless I offered a refund including free return shipping. I offered to refund him if he shipped the cable back. Whew!

I actually sent a link to the buyer to this thread hoping he finally understands it's no one's fault. If he would just stop complaining, listen, and then follow the installation instructions I sent him, he would learn that his cable works fine (no K-line). I've done all I can.
Old 02-27-15, 10:56 AM
usando
Driver School Candidate

Nope. Even after sending this thread to the buyer he still doesn't understand.

Also says he would never have bought the cable if he knew it was fake. It cost $4. Really? You thought this was a real Toyota cable for $4? Moron.
Old 03-06-15, 10:40 AM
Igor911
Driver

This is the 2nd (correct) cable I ordered:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...671740274.html

I ordered it specifically because they address the K-Line issue AND because they show the firmware version.

I asked 5 sellers on feebay about the firmware and only 1 of them knew. That one told me it was 1.4.1. They also said their cable supports K-Line which is blatantly false. I highly recommend avoiding feebay and Amazon unless the specifically tell you the firmware version. Lots of people have ordered on feebay and got the right cable. It's a gamble but better to ask. At least you can make a claim if they tell you something false.
Thanks for the awesome write-up first off... What exactly will this cable allow me to do on my 2013 GS? This link you provided, the CD it comes with is all the software I'll need?

Sorry for the question, I am very curious as to how much we can modify/re-program.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-28-15, 06:13 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to get a WiFi ODBII, and the Carista iPhone app. I thought with this combo, i could do all that the Techstream can...what did I miss?

I want to be able to change settings that would otherwise require a trip to the dealer.
Old 04-02-15, 05:23 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had a chance today to give Techstream another try. I wasn't trying to change any ECU's or TPMS or anything, just wanted to disable the reverse beeping and the seat belt alarms. Before, I was using an older version of TS, so I think maybe that was the reason it didn't give me these options before.

I purchased the cheap mini VCI cable from ebay which had firmware version 1.4 on it and followed the instructions from the FT86club forums using TS v10.00.028 on Win 8.1.

Even if you don't have the Kline protocol you can still connect to the customize menu. I'm guessing this works because you don't need to connect to any ECU or run any diagnostic to execute the Customize functions.
You're right! Thanks man.

Last edited by RonSwanson; 04-02-15 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 01:09 PM
usando
Driver School Candidate

I have updated my original post. In the original post I talked a lot about K-Line support. I have since learned that K-line seems to only be required for older vehicles. It's support for active tests that you need.

Anyway, what I said about firmware is still true. The first cable I bought from Amazon with firmware 1.4 did not let me access the brake bleed utility. The 2nd cable I bought from Aliexpress with firmware 2.0.4 let me do so.
Old 04-15-15, 02:19 PM
ahtoh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I found this post when looking for a proper mini vci cable.
I need to do key and TPMS programming.
A questions just to clarify: Does original XHorse suport ECU flashing? Can anybody confirm?

P.S. I was about to order the 2.0.4 mini vci for $32 from the link you posted but then I read the feedback comments there and specifically the answer from the seller to the comment of Canadian guy I decided that I better find another seller, so I did and it is cheaper ($25)
I ordered it today and will post my results (and the link) once I receive it.
Old 04-15-15, 02:21 PM
Igor911
Driver

Originally Posted by ahtoh
Hi
I found this post when looking for a proper mini vci cable.
I need to do key and TPMS programming.
A questions just to clarify: Does original XHorse suport ECU flashing? Can anybody confirm?

P.S. I was about to order the 2.0.4 mini vci for $32 from the link you posted but then I read the feedback comments there and specifically the answer from the seller to the comment of Canadian guy I decided that I better find another seller, so I did and it is cheaper ($25)
I ordered it today and will post my results (and the link) once I receive it.
Just as a heads up, in order to do TPMS programming with TechStream, you need to have the RFID's to each sensor handy...
Old 04-15-15, 02:30 PM
ahtoh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Igor911
Just as a heads up, in order to do TPMS programming with TechStream, you need to have the RFID's to each sensor handy...
Actually my problem is the Tire Pressure light does not go off.
As far as I know the pressure in tires is OK, so I want to do some diagnostic. I plan to see sensor readings with TechStream to see if one of the sensors is malfunction. Then buy a replacement and program it.

Quick Reply: Mini VCI Cable TechStream