CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Out of gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 04:07 PM
janaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of gas

So I ran my CT out of gas. I called my Lexus dealer who is less than 10 miles away. It was raining and rush hour traffic. Instead of sending the local dealer road side assistance, they sent AAA who where 30 miles away in a different town.

The car was completely locked up, you couldn't push it. I almost got hit several times. I called the dealer again and told them I was stuck in a dangerous situation. They sounded bored when they told me to call the local police. A fire fighter in a SUV finally pulled up behind me for safety. AAA took over an hour and a half to get there. For the last 20 minutes they said they were in a Wendy's parking lot I could actually see from where I was. It didn't want to start at first and all sorts of warning lights were on, but it finally started.

I have never been treated so bad in my life. My Mercredes was 12 years old and had electrical problems and I never had an issue like this. Right at the end I thought I was going to loose my bladder I sat there so long, my phone battery was down to four percent, and the worst thing is the Mercedes dealer and the Lexus dealer are the same company, sitting right by each other, owned by the same people.
Old 12-17-14, 06:02 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does that Lexus dealership have its own road side assistance service? Otherwise it could possibly be some kind of liability issue..

Last edited by RonSwanson; 12-17-14 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-18-14, 07:33 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by janaz
So I ran my CT out of gas. I called my Lexus dealer who is less than 10 miles away. It was raining and rush hour traffic. Instead of sending the local dealer road side assistance, they sent AAA who where 30 miles away in a different town.
It seems unlikely that a dealer would have gas on hand to deliver to you. For roadside assistance there is a 1-800 number to call. It sounds like your dealer made that call for you and the AAA truck was dispatched.

I could say something about paying closer attention to your fuel gauge, but I won't. :-)
Old 12-18-14, 04:05 PM
hdave
Driver

I think he's trying to say that the car is a complete POS because it locks up to the point that it cannot even be pushed.
Old 12-18-14, 07:37 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Here's my guess.

Originally Posted by hdave
I think he's trying to say that the car is a complete POS because it locks up to the point that it cannot even be pushed.
No, I think the OP is upset that the Lexus dealer didn't hop to it and rescue him from the situation he got himself into. Additionally, he may be trying to tell us that his fuel gauge/low fuel light is broken. Just a guess.
Old 12-20-14, 06:20 AM
swested
Driver School Candidate

How exactly do you let yourself run out of gas on a car that gets 500+ miles to a tank? Frankly, unless this was the result of some random, unknown leak from your fuel tank, I don't blame the dealer for not caring all that much about your predicament...I recall reading explicit warnings somewhere in the manual that with a hybrid, you should be extra careful to not let the gas tank run to empty.

It's like not brushing for a few years and then blaming your dentist for the cavities!
Old 12-20-14, 05:11 PM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swested
How exactly do you let yourself run out of gas on a car that gets 500+ miles to a tank? Frankly, unless this was the result of some random, unknown leak from your fuel tank, I don't blame the dealer for not caring all that much about your predicament...I recall reading explicit warnings somewhere in the manual that with a hybrid, you should be extra careful to not let the gas tank run to empty.

It's like not brushing for a few years and then blaming your dentist for the cavities!
LOL, a CT gets like 280 miles per tank which is annoying less than a corolla.

I dont know how you run it empty when you can go well over 50 miles when the car says it is empty with 0 miles to go.
Old 12-21-14, 07:29 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by JayGoldste
It seems unlikely that a dealer would have gas on hand to deliver to you.
Stuff happens people, get off their back. We don't know the whole story, and it doesn't matter. What matters is the lousy service they were given.

Also, most, if not all dealers, have gas pumps on site for their new cars and rental fleet.
Old 01-07-15, 06:21 PM
Wildeman
Driver School Candidate

Got my first CT recently and ran it to empty on the gas guage today to see what kind of reserves it has. (I felt like Kramer!)

I was pretty surprised to see that there was still 10 litres (approx3 gallons) in the tank. 45 litre capacity, and I filled it up with 35 litres from empty. That`s a big reserve! But good to know...
Old 01-08-15, 07:43 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildeman
Got my first CT recently and ran it to empty on the gas guage today to see what kind of reserves it has.

I was pretty surprised to see that there was still 10 litres (approx3 gallons) in the tank. 45 litre capacity, and I filled it up with 35 litres from empty. That`s a big reserve! But good to know...
Be careful with the reserve. The fuel pumps in my area automatically stop 3 gallons short of a full tank, the same might be true for you in your area.
Old 01-08-15, 08:05 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Hopefully OP didn't fry his fuel sending unit due to his lack of care.

Gasser motors are definitely more forgiving than diesels when run dry but can still cause issues to such a crucial component.
Old 01-25-15, 05:30 AM
Jezo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swested
How exactly do you let yourself run out of gas on a car that gets 500+ miles to a tank?
Help me get that extra 100 miles then.. I can get 400 but no way at all 500.
Old 01-25-15, 06:25 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Exclamation Not the norm.

Originally Posted by Jezo
Help me get that extra 100 miles then.. I can get 400 but no way at all 500.
Here's one of my 500 mile tanks from last summer. It took 9.6 gallons to fill up. I do not make a habit of running the tank that low. I'm much more comfortable filling up when the gauge and low fuel light recommend.

Old 01-25-15, 08:05 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
Here's one of my 500 mile tanks from last summer. It took 9.6 gallons to fill up. I do not make a habit of running the tank that low. I'm much more comfortable filling up when the gauge and low fuel light recommend. ]

Impressive that you exceeded EPA ratings by 30%.

The longest I've ever been able to stretch a tank was 342 miles and it took 8.82 gallons.

Click on banner below to view my fuel usage

Last edited by FLYCT; 01-25-15 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-25-15, 10:28 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Impressive that you exceeded EPA ratings by 30%.

The longest I've ever been able to stretch a tank was 342 miles and it took 8.82 gallons.
Certainly not the norm. That particular tank was 100% gasoline (no ethanol) and I really tried to maximize fuel economy with my driving style.

I just started with the fuelly app a couple months ago and I'm at 41 mpg avg. It will rise when the weather warms up.

Quick Reply: Out of gas