CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Urgent query for CT200H owners!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-14, 11:56 AM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
Whoa there. Did you say a preowned 2011 model? Remember that this was a brand new model and the first year model came with plenty of problems. I have an early 2011 and agree the hybrid system is bulletproof but I've had the car in for many weeks of fault repairs.
Steering is a major problem as it had to have the steering linkage replaced (a well documented Prius problem). A second steering problem developed with a recoil? mechanism 2 years later. The latter they fixed in a day, the former took a week. Moonroof can be a major pain as it was an all new model for lexus. My needed extensive repair with the roof lining having to be removed. Other more minor issues are replacement of broken passenger door handle, centre button replacement (once it starts sticking you can't fix it) and replacement of satnav cd as it randomly resets while driving.
The other issue is the hard jarring suspension. Recently drove the facelifted model and its a revelation in terms of ride comfort. Also a lot less rattles in the updated model as they have strengthened the chassis components.
I have a 2011 that was original bought in Aug 2011 and it has no issue beyond the sticky button on the center console. I have not taken it apart yet to figure out why it sticks, but even replacing the latch will be a cheap fix.

There are no recalls or service bulletins I can find for a steering linkage problem.
What is the problem with the moonroof? Are you saying it leaks?
I never had a problem with my satnav or radio resetting.
Suspension on mine has no issues.

That $2000 warranty will be a complete waste of money.
Old 11-09-14, 12:20 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I am a Lexus master tech, and an owner of a 2013 CT200h.
I have been with Toyota/Lexus since 2006, and in all the years I have been working on the Prius' and CT models, I have seen 0 battery failures, and 1 inverter failure in the 5 years that this generation of hybrid system has been out. I wouldn't spend the money on the warranty.
Old 11-10-14, 07:53 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r81984
I have a 2011 that was original bought in Aug 2011 and it has no issue beyond the sticky button on the center console. I have not taken it apart yet to figure out why it sticks, but even replacing the latch will be a cheap fix.

There are no recalls or service bulletins I can find for a steering linkage problem.
What is the problem with the moonroof? Are you saying it leaks?
I never had a problem with my satnav or radio resetting.
Suspension on mine has no issues.

That $2000 warranty will be a complete waste of money.
I have an early build 2011 and I am just now experiencing the steering problem. Both of my intermediate shafts are completely shot at need to be replaced at a cost of $1600. Keep in mind this is a quote from a Toyota dealer, Lexus will be significantly more. I'm out of warranty as i'm at 1600 miles but Lexus is looking into the matter to see if they will still over it. Quite a dissappointment and suprise for a car this young in age.

I also had my passenger door handle replaced under warranty along with my center console button. I've never had issues with my sunroof but it does make shuttering nosie when opening it, but it's been like that since I bought my car used in 2012 and never broke on me.

With regards to the jarring suspension, don't even get me started. The car is a rattle box. I can't wait until it's paid off so I can dump it for something more luxurious.
Old 11-10-14, 11:11 AM
Bobbyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NotADood
I am a Lexus master tech, and an owner of a 2013 CT200h.
I have been with Toyota/Lexus since 2006, and in all the years I have been working on the Prius' and CT models, I have seen 0 battery failures, and 1 inverter failure in the 5 years that this generation of hybrid system has been out. I wouldn't spend the money on the warranty.
Few have now confirmed issue with steering linkage(see posts) and also rattles along with the center console button. I'll be curious to know your opinion.
Old 11-10-14, 12:01 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

The unfortunate thing about my steering linkage issue is that i've had the symptoms for over a year and never 2nd guessed it until recently. I does not affect the steering or drivability of my car, it's only something I can hear moving the steering wheel at a complete stops or at extremely low speeds. It does not appear to have ever gotten worse but it's been there for as long as I can remember.
Old 11-10-14, 12:53 PM
Bobbyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by my95tsi
The unfortunate thing about my steering linkage issue is that i've had the symptoms for over a year and never 2nd guessed it until recently. I does not affect the steering or drivability of my car, it's only something I can hear moving the steering wheel at a complete stops or at extremely low speeds. It does not appear to have ever gotten worse but it's been there for as long as I can remember.
Good to know. I'm gonna keep my ears open for that and hopefully escape it or catch it early!!

What sort of rattles are you talking about? What was your issue with the moon roof?
Old 11-10-14, 12:56 PM
Bobbyk
Driver School Candidate

Pardon my ignorance, but what button/**** on the center console has this issue of "sticking" as mentioned in some posts and what is the fix, if there is any?

Last edited by Bobbyk; 11-10-14 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spell
Old 11-10-14, 01:28 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bobbyk
Pardon my ignorance, but what button/**** on the center console has this issue of "sticking" as mentioned in some posts and what is the fix, if there is any?
It's a button per say, it the center console latch. It's that button that sticks.
Old 11-10-14, 01:30 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Good to know. I'm gonna keep my ears open for that and hopefully escape it or catch it early!!

What sort of rattles are you talking about? What was your issue with the moon roof?
I have rattles coming from all over. The moonroof is quiet though.

Both my driver and passenger door rattle. It's something in the plastic. My passenger seat rattles like crazy and my center console creaks all the time.
Old 11-10-14, 05:32 PM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have rattles coming from all over. The moonroof is quiet though.

Both my driver and passenger door rattle. It's something in the plastic. My passenger seat rattles like crazy and my center console creaks all the time.
Either you drive down train tracks for a living or you have an anomaly of a car.
The nice thing about the CT vs a corolla is the CT has added sound proofing in the panels on the car.

You said it was the steering intermediate shaft that was bad not the linkage. The only way that can go bad on a car is if the heat treater ****ed up and had a bad heat treat or bad quenching on the steel.
That could happen with any manufacturing and with any metal part.
The issue is Toyota should have caught the soft steel from doing hardness testing, but their procedures allow for sample size testing not 100% testing.
My feeling is that they had a cold spot in their oven or some parts clumped together while being quenched and a couple of bad parts made it to cars.
The only reason those bad parts made it through was others in the same batch were OK.

It is a concern for all owners that there are bad part out there.
But the fix is less than $500 DIY job that takes about an hour so its not that big of a deal.

Even if you pay the dealer $1,500 to fix it for you, that still dos not make the $2,000 warranty worth it. Also, that probably would not even be covered by the $2,000 warranty anyways even though it is 100% a manufacturing defect since they could consider it cosmetic.

I hope in your case Toyota/Lexus steps up and fixes the problem at no cost to you since the problem is 100% Toyota's fault. They screwed up and should make it right.

Last edited by r81984; 11-10-14 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-10-14, 05:52 PM
Bobbyk
Driver School Candidate

It's a button per say, it the center console latch. It's that button that sticks.
So, it is the **** that is used to turn on the sport mode, right?
Old 11-11-14, 10:31 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

So, it is the **** that is used to turn on the sport mode, right?
Um no, center console latch.
Old 11-11-14, 10:39 AM
Bobbyk
Driver School Candidate

Yes, got it..Picking the car up tonight and will check the service history from the dealer..Already ordered the interior led package along with the puddle lights..Winters tires on replica rims the week after and stereo upgrade coming up !!

All the money I saved by not buying the Lexus ECP!!!
Old 11-12-14, 08:48 AM
lcneed
Driver

You press a button to pop open up the center console top lid. That button stays pressed for a long time (especially during cold weather) like sticking to honey. I had that since I bought the car and it didn't really bother me. When I close the lid, it became automatic to pull the button back out before closing. Maybe I should ask the dealer to fix it next time... maybe...
Old 11-14-14, 07:52 AM
Bobbyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lcneed
You press a button to pop open up the center console top lid. That button stays pressed for a long time (especially during cold weather) like sticking to honey. I had that since I bought the car and it didn't really bother me. When I close the lid, it became automatic to pull the button back out before closing. Maybe I should ask the dealer to fix it next time... maybe...
Got it..Mine seems to be working fine..Perhaps it had been replaed under warranty prior to me taking over.

Quick Reply: Urgent query for CT200H owners!!!!