CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Painted grill surrounds 2014 ct200h F sport!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 04:00 AM
tjdarilek
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Decided to do mine over the weekend. Very pleased.

Last edited by tjdarilek; 11-03-14 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-03-14, 09:45 AM
thinkofone
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks crazy on a black car!! good job!

Update on mine: after numerous car washes and road trips, it is still holding up just fine =)
Old 11-04-14, 09:41 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

@ tjdarilek, your CT looks amazing...good job on painting the grill surround...keep up the great work...
Old 12-25-14, 06:40 PM
AORC11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the chrome on mine, but this looks good too.
Old 07-18-16, 05:45 AM
CuPc8K3
Driver School Candidate

Default Plasti Dip Works Great!

First post on this forum -- woohoo! I just used Plasti Dip on the rear badge, got rid of the chrome around the windows and grille surround. I love how it looks now :-)

Old 07-18-16, 08:51 PM
motorhead
Driver School Candidate

I REALLY wish we could get the black chrome like on the new GS-F.
Old 07-21-16, 06:17 PM
MSAGRO
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

It's funny how you can improve a Lexus with a little vinyl. The contours are there, you just have to enhance them. Did my bland faced HS to improve...
Attached Thumbnails Painted grill surrounds 2014 ct200h F sport!-image.png  
Old 07-21-16, 07:35 PM
kawawabear
Driver School Candidate

slightly inspired by the special edition ct. plasti dip'd my emblems and door handles until i buy matte black emblems. but until then, i love the look so far.

hopefully i find time to dip the chrome grill and chrome window trim soon

Old 07-27-16, 09:50 PM
jayskeet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WHTCTh
did mine today!!! woot!

How did you mask your grill? Tried mine today and didn't come out as clean as I hoped. Gonna restart tomorrow and try again.
Old 10-31-19, 04:33 PM
Indolent
Rookie

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

I originally wanted to do this, but I decided to wrap the grille mouldings instead after seeing some of these newer cars having black chrome. Took the bumper/mouldings apart.
Avery black chrome wrapped the grille mouldings (PITA), painted the radiator grille gloss black.

Last edited by Indolent; 10-31-19 at 05:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
liera21 (11-01-19)
Old 11-01-19, 07:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Originally Posted by Indolent
I originally wanted to do this, but I decided to wrap the grille mouldings instead after seeing some of these newer cars having black chrome. Took the bumper/mouldings apart.
Avery black chrome wrapped the grille mouldings (PITA), painted the radiator grille gloss black.

I was thinking of doing the grill gloss black too. and the rear diffuser and the rear black garnishes by the reflectors and front fog light trims as well. You beat me to the grille! how did you prep the grill? I've been pondering how i'd tackle that so haven't done this project yet. Came out great.

And the front grill surround... same thing i want to do.. i love that color. where did you get it? it's called Avery Black Chrome? been looking for that exact color.

I know how hard that piece is to wrap done properly, and you did it exactly right. has to come off and you need to use a massive piece. also i'm sure that piece is flimsy and moves as you try to wrap it.
Old 11-01-19, 07:49 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^BTW see my posts on more stuff to wrap. like the front windshield posts pieces. makes a huge difference
Old 11-01-19, 09:16 AM
liera21
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Indolent
I dig this a lot! I feel like flat black brings down luxury cars a bit, black chrome is the way to go for me, looks awesome!
Old 11-01-19, 09:30 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

ya flat black doesn't belong. only reason why manufacturers use flat black, bare plastic, raw plastic, on anything, is cost cutting. any full optioned luxury liner has everything glossed out/premium materials
Old 11-01-19, 11:43 AM
Indolent
Rookie

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I was thinking of doing the grill gloss black too. and the rear diffuser and the rear black garnishes by the reflectors and front fog light trims as well. You beat me to the grille! how did you prep the grill? I've been pondering how i'd tackle that so haven't done this project yet. Came out great.

And the front grill surround... same thing i want to do.. i love that color. where did you get it? it's called Avery Black Chrome? been looking for that exact color.

I know how hard that piece is to wrap done properly, and you did it exactly right. has to come off and you need to use a massive piece. also i'm sure that piece is flimsy and moves as you try to wrap it.
I've been thinking about the rear diffuser as well. I took the front bumper off along with the grille & mouldings. Prep work I just used a scuff pad on the grille to help the gloss black paint to stick. Love it cause the grill texture it's hard to see imperfections (IMO) and it's an easy fix in case anything happens to the paint.

As far as the grill surround goes, I ordered Avery Dennison Black Chrome Conform from Fellers. 53" x 1 yard gives you two attempts at the lower grille moulding. This stuff's expensive
. https://www.fellers.com/avery/cat/av...rm-accent-film
I did the front top grille moulding first which was cake, despite my friend(s) vinyl wrapping experience, we had a very difficult time wrapping it in one piece. It was costly learning experience due to messing up several times but glad how it came out.
Chrome wrap only stretches so much before you start having discolorations or tearing unlike other colored vinyl wrap. Heat and maybe 3 sets of hands helps lol. I placed the moulding on a table with long 2" x 1" pieces of wood double sided tape to hold the grille still. The best approach I found was to wrap the inside/inner edges first then work your way out with heat/stretching it out.

If I could do it all over again, I would find a shop to do it that hopefully carries chrome black in stock so I don't have to deal with the potential problems. Not sure how much these would cost, but other options I'd consider are finding a place to do black chrome plating or maybe a lens tint wrap to a chrome moulding?

Quick Reply: Painted grill surrounds 2014 ct200h F sport!