CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Switching from GS to CT? CT owners tell me why I should or shouldn't consider it?

Old 07-16-14, 08:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Yeah that's the thing, I have no issue with the CT costing more, I was just hoping for some Lexus solidity and refinement.

As for the LX, the LX is a great vehicle, for that class and money though I'd buy a Range Rover.

Resale will be fine I bet. Hybrids do quite well.
Old 07-16-14, 08:48 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Yup no refinement

Not sure on resale, I will know soon.

Land cruiser /lx470/lc570 can routinely be seen with 200-300k miles. They are literally bulletproof.

Resale is also amazing.

Reliablity and resale Cant be words used for range rover.

Though after two range rover hse ownership, I am still searchinf for LR D90/110, which are entirely different beast than standard RR
Originally Posted by SW13GS
Yeah that's the thing, I have no issue with the CT costing more, I was just hoping for some Lexus solidity and refinement.

As for the LX, the LX is a great vehicle, for that class and money though I'd buy a Range Rover.

Resale will be fine I bet. Hybrids do quite well.
Old 07-16-14, 09:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I lease though, so for me longevity isn't do much of an issue. If it were an SUV to keep that'd be a different story.

What are you thinking about getting next?
Old 07-17-14, 09:29 AM
lcneed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Sure Model X looks awesome (even though I personally have a hard time getting over how awful the noses of the Tesla cars seem to look)... but it's also going to cost something like a 80-100 grand. Forget that, completely ridiculous. BMW i3 is already, IMO, ridiculously priced at like 45K for what it is.
Well it is a little cheaper here in the US. I think around $70 to $90K, but in California, we get a tax credit of $7500 (fed) and $2500 (state). And then there is free solar panel incentive, and cheaper electric rate, carpool lane, etc...

I am started to see a bunch of Model S here in my company parking lot. I am thinking of replacing my wife's BMW X5 with the Tesla Model X. They actually cost about the same after the tax credit.
Old 07-17-14, 05:27 PM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a used 2011 CT200h two months ago for $20K with nav. I dont think any CT is worth more than $25K for being what it is. A CT is a fancy corolla with a prius motor.
It is not worth $32,000 to $40,0000. There are lots of better cars you could buy for $35,000.

If a matrix was just perfect in size then a CT wont work for you as the CTs height shorter and has less truck space than the matrix.
The CT is great if you need larger space to put down your seat, but if you just need truck space a corolla has a bigger trunk.
So if you need to cart around rear passengers with lots of things in the trunk then a CT is a bad idea.
Going with brand new Corolla S would be much better if you need the trunk space while driving passengers.

Now if you want a fancier Corolla with less trunk space than a matrix then a used CT is a great deal.
Buy used and get the car you want for $20K to $25K.
You dont have to worry buying a used toyota/lexus. Corollas, matrix, prius will last forever and cost very little in maintenance. They are 300K mile cars.
The battery in the CT should last 150,000 miles as that is what it is designed for, but if the battery starts to go bad you will still get the same mileage as a corolla running the gas engine.

I was looking for a car and I was choosing between a used matrix, corolla S, Rav 4 and the CT200h. For me I decided to get the CT200h.
Matrix's were very hard to find used and a used Corolla S was basically the same price as a new one.
The Rav 4s were nice, but I settled on the CT due to getting a decent price and really liking the look of the interior with the tan and black.
Old 07-18-14, 05:43 AM
ceads9
Driver

Look for a loaded HS 250 with tech . Bigger , faster , more tech, same price or cheaper however worse MPG around 35 . Used 300h in the night 30s are bigger same mpg and drive a lot better . But for 25k the HS is a lot if car loaded . I wouldn't go from a GS to a CT, different class of cars
Old 07-18-14, 06:16 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ceads9
Look for a loaded HS 250 with tech . Bigger , faster , more tech, same price or cheaper however worse MPG around 35 . Used 300h in the night 30s are bigger same mpg and drive a lot better . But for 25k the HS is a lot if car loaded . I wouldn't go from a GS to a CT, different class of cars
I always thought the HS was pretty much a failure, I am surprised it is still around. I don't think I recall ever really reading anything positive about it but I have not looked at it since the first model year. It seems like the HS doesn't really belong in Lexus' lineup especially now - it's getting quite cramped even in the hybrid segment. I wonder if that model is going to go away completely soon?

Edit: LOL haven't been keeping up it looks like, it doesn't appear they sell them any more and I can't even find a used one newer than 2010... and for a 2010 they are quite expensive I have to say from the listings I saw.

Forget it, I'm going shopping for a CTS-V Wagon.

I could learn to love this... big wagon, 6.2L supercharged V8 -- the next car is either going to be an EV or the biggest ICE I can find:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/CADILLAC/...howcpo=ShowCPO

Only one used listing within 100 km of Toronto not a popular car. I bet the insurance on it would be very unfriendly to my wallet though.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 07-18-14 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 09:22 AM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
I come from SC300, SC400, LS400.

Picked up a CT last year new. Never should have bought the car. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. Both in car seats.

Space is not a problem.

I fit a full dual stroller in the back with kids in the back seat and wife in front.

I like the nav, keyless entry etc.

I drive 25K miles a year. Gas savings is nice. But I am dying to get rid of my CT, and will soon. Only car I owned in my life (out of 37), I never opened the hood.

Car doesn't inspire me at all. REliablity is there.

I wouldn't recommend it. Has no spirit, soul....

If you want an appliance, great ride. Should have listened to my CL friends and never bought it.
Awww. Unfortunate you feel this way, although I do understand seeing as though you are coming from an SC or LS.

I too purchased a 2013 new for ~37k OTD, and while I do agree with some of the comments here, I have a feeling that maybe not everyone has extensive experience with the alternatives (being a fully loaded Prius 5 or Ford C-Max for example). I was initially looking at a Prius first, but compared to the interior fit and finish and suspension differences, the CT was a clear winner for me for a fraction of the price more.

For those that lease, I'm sure you're criteria's are different, however I always purchase my cars with the intention of keeping them for a minimum of 200k miles or 10 years whichever comes first...and while the CT is the least "Lexus" like of the entire line, wait until you sit in a 10 year old Prius, then you'll understand.

It's always easier going up than it is coming down.
Old 07-18-14, 02:19 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i don't know - the Prius even at the highest trim level still feels kinda cheap to me. plus you either like the look or you don't. i don't mind it but far prefer the CT. there are also about 1,000,000 priuses in a 20 mi radius, vs 10,000 CTs (exaggeration of course, but that's what it feels like).

it's like any other car - do you want a camry or an ES? some even say Avalon or GS? to some it's a waste of money, others it's totally worth it.

i think the CT is good looking, fun to drive (albeit slower than it looks) and feels planted and firm. easy to drive, good road feel (although noisy), and compact spaces? - no problem! those are all good things in my book. but to others, those could be cons. i come from a long line of very fine lexuses and the CT is a worthy car in this class IMHO.
Old 07-18-14, 02:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The CT is good looking, it would be great as a Toyota model. But nothing about it other than its looks earn the Lexus badge.
Old 07-18-14, 07:02 PM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The CT is good looking, it would be great as a Toyota model. But nothing about it other than its looks earn the Lexus badge.
What does the "Lexus badge" even mean? It's all Toyota anyways. The CT will never be a Toyota because the Prius/Matrix is already there.

I'll tell you what's being "Lexus"....is when the service manager attempted to charge my wife $600 for a 30k mile service. I flat out told him over the phone that I wasn't going to pay that kind of a premium for a "Lexus Prius". Heck, service maintenance for Mercedes and Porsche cost less than that!

The Lexus brand has always been a "value" competitor. The CT is no different.
Old 07-18-14, 09:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

All you have to do is drive other Lexus vehicles to understand what a "Lexus" is. Lexus vehicles have a solidity and a refinement level to them, a certain quality of heft...even Lexus vehicles that are based off of Toyota platforms like the ES, or RX...the CT has none of that. That's my issue with the CT.

There's a distinct difference between how a Lexus feels and drives and how a Toyota feels and drives. The CT feels and drives like a Toyota, not a Lexus. Lexus vehicles have always presented a value, but that value is that they deliver the same level of quality and refinement for a better price. The CT is loud, coarse and unrefined. Those are things every other Lexus is not.

It could be a great little car, but they really missed the mark with it IMHO

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-18-14 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-18-14, 11:07 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
yeah i don't know - the Prius even at the highest trim level still feels kinda cheap to me. plus you either like the look or you don't. i don't mind it but far prefer the CT. there are also about 1,000,000 priuses in a 20 mi radius, vs 10,000 CTs (exaggeration of course, but that's what it feels like).

it's like any other car - do you want a camry or an ES? some even say Avalon or GS? to some it's a waste of money, others it's totally worth it.

i think the CT is good looking, fun to drive (albeit slower than it looks) and feels planted and firm. easy to drive, good road feel (although noisy), and compact spaces? - no problem! those are all good things in my book. but to others, those could be cons. i come from a long line of very fine lexuses and the CT is a worthy car in this class IMHO.
I wholeheartedly agree lexuslover! A few of us understand the CT for what it is. I'll use extremes as well, the CT is no LX, if you want space of an LX then go buy an LX. The CT is no LFA, if you want speed of an LFA then go buy an LFA...etc...etc...

The CT is a luxury hybrid hatchback and is a great daily driver with very low maintenance costs and does well for what it's designed for and I'm totally happy with the CT.

Maybe the next generation CT will be bigger and faster and I'm sure many will still be not happy with it.
Old 07-19-14, 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
The CT is a luxury hybrid hatchback and is a great daily driver with very low maintenance costs and does well for what it's designed for and I'm totally happy with the CT.

Maybe the next generation CT will be bigger and faster and I'm sure many will still be not happy with it.
I agree the CT is a very competent little economy car...whether or not something that can be described in such a way should be a "Lexus" is a matter of opinion I suppose.

The original question was though whether the OP would be happy going from the GS to a CT...my answer to that question is that I personally would not be. I could go back to an ES, or even an IS and be happy, but not a CT.
Old 07-19-14, 09:56 AM
ceads9
Driver

The HS is a underrated car . Yes I own one but bought it over the CT . The HS has tons of more features . Front and back senors and camera in the front LKA and HUD and pre-collision warranty system LED lights . It's a lot of car for the price. We looked at the LS and ES and very hard to find the options on them. Liked the ES but not for the price difference . The trunk is bigger than the LS . We took 5 people to 3k trip and got 36mpg loaded trunk.
The reason people didn't like it was because how lexus made the car and DC it after three years. All the things I read and the people I've talked to from Lexus and other love the car. Of course just my few cents , but the car it's self is very nice and is a. LEXUS ..still make them in Japan. As for the CT I looked at trading my Loaded solar roof leather Prius for one but it was just to small no back seat and this is front a prius owner . We have a RXh and HS and the prius and the HS has the best seats and has 187hp (Camry engine) and the CT has 134. I would look an RX if you need the room . Don't take this the wrong way I liked the CT but the HS drives like a real Lexus the CT was slower than the Prius due to it's added weight . Good luck with your choice I was just talking Lexus not other brands . I agree with SW13gs above..one last point the CT is very much a prius in a lot of ways the HS is more like the Camry . Get a new GS bad *** cars !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Switching from GS to CT? CT owners tell me why I should or shouldn't consider it?