Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Upgrade nonNav to Nav

Old 03-26-14, 08:12 AM   #1
rtwamski
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Upgrade nonNav to Nav

Has anyone installed an OEM nav into a non nav CT? If so how hard and what does the parts list include?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
rtwamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 06:10 AM   #2
Billisme
Driver

for the time and money involved it would be cheaper to use your phone. Plus you would never have to buy upgrade discs for it.
I don't know what the actual cost of just the parts would be but I would assume somewhere in the $600-$1000 price range, and that is probably pretty conservative.
Billisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 12:07 PM   #3
rtwamski
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billisme View Post
for the time and money involved it would be cheaper to use your phone. Plus you would never have to buy upgrade discs for it.
I don't know what the actual cost of just the parts would be but I would assume somewhere in the $600-$1000 price range, and that is probably pretty conservative.
With the lack of nav I am not sure what I am missing but I would like to understand those differences, if any, are. But before I get wide eyed and excited bout what that might be I would like to know if it is possible.
I recently discovered that the 2014 IS has a new Center-Console Controller, which if you've never used it before it is awesome! I understand I won't get that but if I give it a few years I might be lucky enough to find one in a junkyard and be able to pick it clean as many of my friends have done with base Accords.

I am just hoping to satisfy a curiosity at the moment in order to possibly add to my planned mods.
rtwamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 12:49 PM   #4
JayGoldste
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwamski View Post
Has anyone installed an OEM nav into a non nav CT? If so how hard and what does the parts list include?
Getting a quality GPS with voice command would be a lot more cost effective.

I don't have nav but use a Garmin nuvi 3790. The cradle for the GPS is mounted on an adhesive disc and the unit powered from the 12v outlet in the storage box on the dash. I find that the GPS is easy to see (and reach) from the driver's seat.The nuvi's voice command works well, but sometimes I have to reduce the radio volume in order for the GPS to "hear" me.
Attached Images

JayGoldste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 01:05 PM   #5
GH5T
Driver

TOPKICK818

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGoldste View Post
Getting a quality GPS with voice command would be a lot more cost effective.

I don't have nav but use a Garmin nuvi 3790. The cradle for the GPS is mounted on an adhesive disc and the unit powered from the 12v outlet in the storage box on the dash. I find that the GPS is easy to see (and reach) from the driver's seat.The nuvi's voice command works well, but sometimes I have to reduce the radio volume in order for the GPS to "hear" me.
What he said
GH5T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 07:59 PM   #6
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

yes i don't know if you have seen a nav CT but i tend to think if you are attempting to go OEM, it would cost you well into the thousands.

the storage compartment on the non-nav CT has the hinged lid. on the nav CT it is a motorized screen that flips up when you turn on the car. so there are several mechanisms in play that would require a lot of wiring i'd imagine. not to mention voice control microphone and then the installation and wiring of nav joystick/puck (which is what i think you are referring to on the IS) ; the CT, like most other models, utilizes the "mouse" and is not a touchscreen.

it just depends what you like in a car. for me, i've had nav cars since 2001 so i like the rear backup cameras and occasional use of GPS, but i also like the better layout of radio and AC controls. without that, you get the typical LCD screen w the old school numbers. but you can get a lot with garmin or other portable nav units too. lexus seems to bypass the infotainment screen for non-nav cars entirely. other makes like BMW and Mercedes still have some type of screen for better infotainment layout, but just lack any sort of GPS computer.

2011 CT200h Premium Starfire Pearl/black - July 2011
2013 Mercedes Benz GL550 Steel Grey/black - May 2013

Past: 2006 GS430, 2004 RX330, 2004 SC430, 01 GS430, 01 RX300, 98 GS400
lexuslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 10:05 PM   #7
JZ TWINS
Driver School Candidate

Several thousands. You will need the head unit, disc player, main dash hanress and harness to the player. Just get an aftermarket set up or what others have mentioned before.
JZ TWINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-14, 02:00 PM   #8
whlkev
Lexus Champion

what everyone says..

it would probably be cheaper to sell the car and get one with the Nav

2014 Porsche Cayenne GTS - White/Black Alcantara
2013 Lexus CT200h - Nebula Gray/Black, F Sport/PREM/NAV/IDS
2008 Lexus LS460L - Smoky/Black, RSP/LUX/AIR/ML/PCS
2008 Lexus GS460 - Starfire/Black, NAV/ML/ACC/IDS (sold )
whlkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-14, 02:00 PM

Tags
lexus, nav, navigation, rx350, upgrading