CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Any 2013's with engine knock after cold soak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-14, 08:21 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any 2013's with engine knock after cold soak?

The Lexus service bulletin about a loud engine knock or rattle noise at initial engine start after cold soak applies to 2011-13 models built prior to a production change in the intake manifold. Even though the VIN of my car indicates that it was built after the production change I have experienced the engine knock on initial start occasionally. The engine knock seems to be correlated with having parked the car just after the engine has warmed up enough for the car run on the hybrid battery.

I'll mention this problem when I bring the car in for its first oil and filter service in a few weeks. I'm interested in knowing whether any other 2013's with VIN JTHKD5BHD2131695 or above are having this issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0004-13-CT200h.pdf (146.9 KB, 3830 views)
Old 02-14-14, 09:36 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for posting. I sent an e-mail to my Lexus service advisor to see if I need to bring my CT to the dealership.
Old 02-17-14, 01:27 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aw man. I'm definitely talking to my service rep about this. I have experienced this noise and freaked me the hell out.
Old 03-02-14, 07:32 PM
Trigeeks
Driver School Candidate

My cars vin is prior to the one listed in the bulletin, but I did have this happen to me this morning. My wife came running out to the garage to see what the noise was. Scared me to death!!! After about 15 seconds of shaking and knocking it ran and started normal the rest of the day. Figured it was due to a 3 degree morning and the car setting for a couple of days.
Thanks for posting this and a copy of the TSB!!! I'll be contacting Lexus about this.
Old 03-03-14, 04:21 AM
DBV1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for posting that. I just that happened to my CT today and thought it was because it was so cold out too. Thought the engine was dying.
Old 03-05-14, 07:00 PM
Trigeeks
Driver School Candidate

Took my car to the dealer today. They said they had not heard about this issue on the CT. I told them that there was a TSB about the problem and that I could show them a video of what the car did at start up (found this on another forum). Well...they are ordering the parts and will fix it next week. They said this is the first one that they have done. Thanks again for posting this!!!
Old 03-05-14, 07:50 PM
canknee
Driver School Candidate

i experienced this too. thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-05-14, 10:08 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had this horrible noise a few times. I brought it to the dealer back in December and luckily they were able to duplicate it once. They tried to reproduce it for several days but were unsuccessful.

It seems in addition to the manifold TSB there is another TSB describing similar noise due to a bad rear engine mount. The tech was convinced that the cause in my case was the engine mount. They replaced the engine mount and the noise has not recurred.

JR
Old 03-11-14, 10:46 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Took the car to the dealer today and reported the noise. Turns out that Lexus Canada has a bulletin on the issue: L TCI 3172. Unfortunately, I haven't been able find it on the Internet. A new intake manifold has been ordered and will be installed in a couple of weeks.

Based on the information in the US service bulletin it appeared that my car was built after the production change in the manifold design. It looks like the production change did not affect some/all CTs bound for Canada.
Old 03-11-14, 12:25 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

How does the TSB actually work? I live in a very mild climate yearround so I don't think I will ever get a cold soak regularly, although ski country is a few hours drive. Even if I have one of the bad intake manifold's, I don't think I would trigger a trouble code without the cold soak. So can I insist that they change out the part or do they have to pull the DTC first before they can act? I have a tendency to keep my cars long term and my fear is that when I do travel to a cold area that this could be damaging later.
Old 03-11-14, 07:44 PM
JayGoldste
Driver

Originally Posted by KKM
How does the TSB actually work? I live in a very mild climate yearround so I don't think I will ever get a cold soak regularly, although ski country is a few hours drive. Even if I have one of the bad intake manifold's, I don't think I would trigger a trouble code without the cold soak. So can I insist that they change out the part or do they have to pull the DTC first before they can act? I have a tendency to keep my cars long term and my fear is that when I do travel to a cold area that this could be damaging later.
In my case the technician reported on the work order that he recovered DTC P0302 (although the Check Engine light had never come on) and referred to the Canadian bulletin regarding the updated intake manifold.

If the code doesn't show up on your car, but it was built prior to the production change for US models, your dealer may be willing to replace the manifold as a preventive measure. Let us know what happens.
Old 03-11-14, 09:09 PM
canknee
Driver School Candidate

sorry for being such a newb, but how do I look at my VIN to see if it's applicable to this bulletin? thanks!
Old 03-12-14, 07:19 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Originally Posted by canknee
sorry for being such a newb, but how do I look at my VIN to see if it's applicable to this bulletin? thanks!
It's visible from the outside on a plaque at the bottom of the driver's side of the windshield. It's also on the driver's doorjamb and should be on your vehicle registration document.
Old 03-12-14, 02:27 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Update

I took my CT to drain and replace my transmission fluid (have over 60K miles) and I left my CT overnight so the technicians can check to see if there is a noise after it sits for some time. Low and behold they were able to confirm the noise.

Longo Lexus will be replacing the intake manifold at no charge which is awesome. They gave me a 2014 IS 250 loaner and I should be able to pick up my CT later this evening or tomorrow.

Lexus is doing an awesome job...
Old 03-12-14, 03:24 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

who was your advisor at Longo?

Last edited by Trexus; 03-12-14 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Any 2013's with engine knock after cold soak?