CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

What is your real world MPG.. I'm currently driving a TDI

Old 01-27-14, 07:02 PM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your real world MPG.. I'm currently driving a TDI

I have owned 5 different Lexus vehicles in the past and am just playing around with the idea of getting one of these CT200's.

As a DD I'm currently driving a Jetta TDI and my average mpg is 41.8 after keeping track of it the past 18 months.

My WORST mpg has been in the 36mpg range. that was in the summer with the AC running constantly and mostly city driving.

My BEST mpg has been 49.5 ... that was about 90% highway at about 55-60 mph.

My car is bone stock and I know I can improve my mpg with a tune.. but I prefer to keep it 100% stock.

I do about 50/50 driving between city and highway.

Do you guys think I would see better mpg's with the Lexus?

My other idea is to upgrade to a Audi A3 sedan TDI when it comes out this April.

Thanks for your input
Old 01-27-14, 10:07 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Those are good numbers, I am averaging about 46 mpg but Fuelly.com will give you a lot more data points for the CT and you can see individual city/hwy % to determine their driving conditions. You can compare both cars mpg .
Old 01-28-14, 07:46 AM
eskae3
Pole Position

I drive pretty conservatively and average a calculated 48 mpg. If there's more highway miles then it tends to be lower as my sweet spot is around 70 mph and on long hauls it's a bit tiresome keeping that pace. Your TDI seems to be doing just fine so I wouldn't get another car if you're average is 41.8 mpg. I go about 400 miles between fill-ups.
Old 01-28-14, 08:18 AM
hdave
Driver

depends on your driving style.

do you go fast (75mph) on the highway, or stick to around 60mph?
are you stuck in stop and go traffic a lot?
are you heavy footed? (probably are, because you have a TDI and all of that low end torque, the CT will feel very sluggish)

IMO, you are better off with another TDI because you do quite a bit of hwy driving, and your mileage is very good with the one you have right now.
The CT to me would really shine if your drive way much more city, or the highway is all stop and go.
Old 01-28-14, 09:59 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on what's said above!

We've had our CT for about 40k miles now so it's gotten it's share of miles on the road. When we bought her new, the MPG was hovering around 45 but now that's it's fully broken in the mpg average is around 48-52.

A lot of it really depends on how you drive, with this car there is no torque unlike your diesel so keep that in mind. This is my wife's car so when I do drive it, I'm used to torque (my dd is a v8 m3) so I tend to average less mpg (about 42) vs when she drives. You really can't count on torque so you have to plan your drive to build momentum.

Here in CA we have a lot of mountains and hills so if you are going incline for one section, you can watch your MPG drop as much as 3 in a short stint. It's a fun car to drive if your commute is mostly flat and stop/go traffic.

So bottom line is if you prefer torque, stick with your diesel, forget about the CT.

The CT shines when:

a) stop and go traffic on highway
b) do not go fast (under 70mph)
c) flat ground is best (no hills)
d) drive conservatively (meaning no passing or hard acceleration)
e) running errands around town

hope this helps!
Old 01-28-14, 11:36 AM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Thank you for your time and sincere replies.. exactly the type of info I was looking for!

Looks like the CT is not the best fit for the type of driving I do and I'll most likely wait for the A3 TDI sedan to come out.

Pete
Old 01-28-14, 12:02 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

The mileage should be similar. You're going to end up saving since we only have a 10 gallon tank and it only requires 87 octane. I'm paying around $25-$28 to fill up.
Old 01-28-14, 12:08 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree w/ the others above.

i do 80% highway and my lifetime average on the dash display (which i have never reset since taking delivery) is 39.9mpg. i don't usually drive in times of traffic so i am talking about 75-80mpg on the highway, so i am one of the ones who is going to get the 40hwy mpg vs. the 43 city.

not terrible and we like the hatchback. we also have two car seats in the back for when i need to have them in there.

i'd probably be better off in a diesel given my driving conditions, but there were none that really called out to me 3 years ago, and the CT is actually pretty fun to drive and compact. and IMHO looks sporty and beautiful.

so yeah, i'd stick with the diesel! the new A3 sedan looks sweet, but i just wonder how tiny it will be ... i had a B7 A4 and that was already pretty cramped in the back!
Old 01-28-14, 01:33 PM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexuslover

so yeah, i'd stick with the diesel! the new A3 sedan looks sweet, but i just wonder how tiny it will be ... i had a B7 A4 and that was already pretty cramped in the back!
It looks to be identical in size to the Jetta and I'm ok with that. I carry passengers in my Jetta occasionally and havent had any complaints yet.
Old 02-01-14, 07:44 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1

My CT does about
38-39 mpg at 75 MPH
42 around town, stop and go traffic, average 35 MPH for trips longer than 15 minutes
32 mpg local short trips less than 5 mikes

The short trips are impacted by the gas engine needing to run until it gets up to temperature.

Here's my data for the 17,000 miles so far. We do more than 1/2 the mileage traveling between homes on the interstate at 75 MPH.

JR

Old 02-01-14, 07:48 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I forgot.... The trip computer display for mpg lies. Mine consistently displays 5% better gas mileage than what I calculate with a pencil.
Old 02-02-14, 05:03 AM
DBV1
Driver School Candidate

With your mix of driving, I would stick with your tdi.
Old 02-02-14, 06:27 AM
Skao
Driver School Candidate

I have an SC430 and drive quite fast but even if I drive carefully I can get no more than 20.3 mpg despite the fact that it has just had a service
Old 02-03-14, 04:00 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 41.5 mpg

So I only have about 2,300 miles on my new CT and it's only been driven in winter temps so far. My accumulated average mpg since day one is 43.5 mpg. Figuring it's about 2 mpg optimistic, that puts me at 41.5 for real world mpg. Doing the math when I fill up has shown anywhere from 40 to 43 mpg. So yeah, I'm going with 41.5 mpg. I'm looking forward to this number improving as the temp warms up and the car breaks in.

StillLine
Old 02-13-14, 04:39 AM
lcneed
Driver

Just did my 65K service and lifetime average is 48.3 MPG on the computer. I don't know what is real MPG is as I have stopped calculating using fuel pump reading the odometer over a year ago... probably closer to 45 MPG.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is your real world MPG.. I'm currently driving a TDI