CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Locksmith Can't Reprogram FOB Smart Key on ECU

Old 08-03-13, 02:06 PM
alex22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locksmith Can't Reprogram FOB Smart Key on ECU

My original FOB Smart Key was stolen.
I've purchased a New FOB Smart Key with VIN number from Lexus dealer.
I've called a professional locksmith to reprogram new FOB key.
Locksmith re-flashed my old keys, but was not able to reprogram new FOB Smart key.
His computer said, "Failed" when he started scanning for new FOB Key. (I think this have something to do with my power button.)

Any ideas how to reprogram new FOB Smart Key?

Does he need a special software to reprogram FOB key? OR only dealer's can do this?

Do I need to replace Smart Key Module? Or Power button?

No dash lights, when I push Power button,

BUT my brake,emergency, interior, and headlights are all working.

All Fuses are checked and OK.

Also I can lock AND unlock all 4 Doors with my side door lock/unlock button.

Please help!
Old 08-03-13, 03:55 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I would go back to the dealer that sold you the new smartkey and have them do the programing. Not too many locksmiths have the software, tools or knowledge to the programming for you. And I don't think I would mention that I had already attempted to program it in case the guy managaed to corrupt it some way.

Dave Mac
Old 08-03-13, 05:31 PM
alex22
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for quick response, I also think that I should go to Lexus dealer and let them program new key.
I didn't really wanted to go to the dealer, because they charge too much for these things. Plus I didn't want to tow my car to the dealership.
Old 08-03-13, 07:53 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Alex - why is it that you would need to tow your car to the dealership. Are you saying the lost smartkey was the only one that you had. My understanding (unconfirmed) is that if you lose both smartkeys the fix is quite expensive and probably way beyond what a locksmith could do.

Dave Mac
Old 08-04-13, 07:52 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I know it sucks when lost your smart key. That happened to my friend 2011 Prius and it cost him $600+ to get replacement from dealer including towing fee because no locksmith in Austin TX could do it. They said that 2008 and newer models (all manufacturers) has to be done by dealers only.
Old 08-04-13, 09:24 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Didn't your car come with 2 FOBS? If so why do you have to tow it to the dealer if you only lost one?

My understanding is that at least one already programed smart key must be available to program additional keys. If you don't have one then the procedure is more difficult.

I had 2 additional smart keys, credit card style smart cards wallet key, programmed by my dealer several months after purchasing the car. I had to bring all 4 Fobs to the dealer to program them. They had a difficult time with one and after screwing with it for several hours they found out the Fob battery was bad. I love the smart cards as it's in my wallet all the time so I never need to find the car keys.

Smart card keys http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-CT200H-2011-2012-SMART-KEY-CARD-/230981471930?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c7918eba&vxp=mtr
BTW, the dealer normal charge to program one additional FOB was $60 and for two or more it was $99. They only charged e $30 total because it took so long dealing with the dead Fob battery.

The dealer told me a total of 5 Fobs can be programed to the car.

JR
Old 08-05-13, 12:22 AM
alex22
Driver School Candidate

I bought this car from a friend of mine and he sold it to me with only one FOB key.
Therefore, I need to program a brand new FOB key.
I'll take this car to the dealership and see how much it'll cost me to reprogram my new key.
Thank you all for your responses.
Old 08-05-13, 09:00 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

When you call the dealer, ask if they will come to the car to do the programming. It isn't that uncommon for a Lexus dealer to offer this support for other issues, depending on the distance they would have to travel.

I wouldn't wanna pay to have my car taken to the dealer for this either!!
Old 08-12-13, 10:14 AM
Negative1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not had the Lexus dealer reprogram my key(s), but I did have it done one my '10 TL (push start). I bought a used Driver 2 key(ebay) b/c I bought my car used and it only had 1 FOB. It was $50 for them to program it, and it it took about 20 min (Acura dealer).

I tried to get my wife's '07 Camry (push start) done by the dealer with no luck. The guys did not know what there were doing, so after about 3 hrs they gave up. I had to research it to b/c I knew it could be done. Apparently there are two different setups for programing the FOB's, "New Key Programming" and "Lost Key Programming". The "new key" is for the initial programing, and the "lost key" is for adding another key (or in this case replacing a key). I would assume the level of competency of the mechanic(s), so mention "lost key programming" and maybe there is a different procedure for them to follow.
Old 08-13-13, 08:17 PM
alex22
Driver School Candidate

Locksmith tried to reprogram new key under "New Key Programming" and it didn't work.

I haven't taken my car to my dealership, because they said, they have not programmed any 2012 Lexus CT 200H models, but they would like to give it a try.

I am still looking for other options to solve this problem.

Negative1 - did you reprogrammed your '07 Camry or not?
Old 08-15-13, 08:09 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alex22
I haven't taken my car to my dealership, because they said, they have not programmed any 2012 Lexus CT 200H models, but they would like to give it a try.

TAKE IT TO TE DEALER!

Dealer programming should be the same as programming a LS460 or any other newer Lexus.

They use the "Techstream" computer/program.

As I stated in a previous posting in this thread, my local dealer programmed 2 additional FOBS for my 2012 CT200h. they had issues because the battery the FOB was low. Once they replaced the battery the programming went as planned and I ended up with 4 programmed FOBS. The dealer told me the programming limit was 5 FOBS for the CT200h.

JR
Old 08-18-13, 08:19 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Locksmiths can usually program additional keys (if you already have one), but ihavent seen many with the ability to perform an immobilizer reset. Your ECU needs to be reflashed to accept new keys. Expect about 1-1.5 hours of labor to perform this at a dealer. Stop wasting your time, and just take it into the dealer. Im sure you've already wasted money on the locksmith. You own a Lexus.. dont be cheap and try to cut corners.
Old 12-26-14, 03:07 AM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are tech savy, get on Amazon and buy the mini xvci cable for $30. It comes with Techstream software for all Toyota/Lexus. Make sure you install the drivers and Techstream on 32 bit Window XP, 7, more works are involved with 64 bit Windows.

You can do almost anything like the dealer with Techstream, I programmed my spare Lexus key fob less than 10 minutes. Dealer will charge you at least $100 for programming new key.

PS: I have 2010 Lexus HS250H with Technology package
Old 12-29-14, 03:26 PM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RTIS250
Locksmiths can usually program additional keys (if you already have one), but ihavent seen many with the ability to perform an immobilizer reset. Your ECU needs to be reflashed to accept new keys. Expect about 1-1.5 hours of labor to perform this at a dealer. Stop wasting your time, and just take it into the dealer. Im sure you've already wasted money on the locksmith. You own a Lexus.. dont be cheap and try to cut corners.
I programmed my own brand new key using a $35 bootleg toyota usb cable and techstream. It took less than 5 minutes.

You only need to go to the dealer to program used keys as they have to get a code from toyota to allow reprogramming used keys.

Also, the dealer can get the code though the techstream software and program a used key in 5 minutes. I dont know why you state 1 to 1.5 hours of labor as that makes no sense.

Also, there is no extra work to install the 64 bit teachstream. You just need to buy the bootleg toyota usb cable that states it has x64 drivers. Some of the cables are 32 bit only so you need to verify which it is. I bought my 64 bit bootleg cable for $35 on ebay.
If you have the 64 bit cable, you install the driver from their cd and then plug in the cable and it works just fine on both 64bit win7 and win8.

Last edited by r81984; 12-29-14 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 12:12 AM
smadargola
Driver School Candidate

Default Locksmith Can't Reprogram FOB Smart Key on ECU

Don't mean to resurrect an older thread but I can also confirm that used Ebay keys can easily be programmed to your vehicle with the right equipment and the right locksmith. I just had it done earlier today in Florida. The Locksmith came highly recommended by several others in the area. It took him less than 30 min to reset the SKS module, sync both of my keys and laser cut my spare. The guy really knows his stuff. His prices are also very reasonable. He even replaced my SK's battery for free.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Locksmith Can't Reprogram FOB Smart Key on ECU