CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Long distant driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 12:53 PM
fgonzale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long distant driving

Has anyone driven the CT on a 2000 plus mile trip and what was the experience regarding the handling, the comfort of the seats, I am considering buying one but planned to take long trips with it.
Old 07-11-13, 05:31 AM
JediKeith
Rookie

Although it wasn't 2,000 miles I have drove the CT about a 800 mile round trip with 3 adults in the car and even the passanger in the back didnt have any complants.
Old 07-11-13, 05:56 AM
Billisme
Driver

I drove back from Alabama to Florida when I bought my CT and I found it comfortable. It was about a 7 hour drive. it wasn't a 2000 mile trip but sitting in a vehicle for 7 hours regardless would be hell if it was uncomfortable.
Old 07-12-13, 11:30 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fgonzale
Has anyone driven the CT on a 2000 plus mile trip and what was the experience regarding the handling, the comfort of the seats, I am considering buying one but planned to take long trips with it.
I do a 4 hour trip 4 tines a month. I just did it last night.

The car tracks great and no tire vibration. It's noisier than my Sc430 and LS 460 but it's still very comfortable mostly because the seats fit me very well. We have leather seat option because on the 2012 that was the only way to get memory seats. I'm 100 pds heavier and 9 inches taller than my wife. Memory power seats are a necessity for our family.

We do about 40-42 mpg at 72 MPH with the AC running.

This car is also great for around town errand runs. My wife loves it for the supermarket.

The back seat headroom is lacking for taller humans. My wife has no problem in the back seat though

JR
Old 07-13-13, 06:03 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I just arrived home today from a 6 day, 1,800 plus mile vacation. KC, Indy, Akron, South Bend, Chicago, KC. Longest legs were about 500 miles. I find the car very capable for travel. The seats are comfortable to me ( 6ft tall, about 240) and the ride is smooth. It's great to drop the seat backs and load up 2 suitcases, 2 sets of golf clubs, and a couple of duffle bags and still be able to see clearly out all windows. Easy to get to speed and maintain it. No problem passing cars/trucks when needed. Gas mileage about 43 when going 65-70mph, but will drop to 39-40 when going 75-80mph. We could take my GS, but prefer the CT on these types of trips. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Pete
Old 07-13-13, 08:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

This is a highly subjective question/answer. It all depends on what car(s) you are cross-shopping or which car you are coming from.

For me, the few times I've done long road trips myself with the CT, I found the experience acceptable. However, once, with my wife and kids, it was a little on the "cozy" side and with the added weight of luggage and 4 people, felt a little under-powered on the highway and therefore revving a little more than usual at about 73 mph. Fuel consumption was also "ok" at 40 mpg compared to 47-48 mpg city.

To give you a meaningful comparison, compared to past Lexus cars including the taut RX F-Sport, the CT is noisier and a touch firmer. Whereas the RX glides over freeway imperfections, the CT transmits some of that into the cabin but far from jarring - it's still fairly comfortable and very solid feeling with no rattles or cowl shake.

CT's seats are great as they hug your back. Handling (including emergency handling) is nimble and easy to execute and car feels very stable at all speeds.

So in short, it all depends on what you drive or are shopping around for. If you come from a Porsche, the CT will feel floaty and quiet. If you come from a Buick, the CT will feel like a sports car, but firmer and noisier...
Old 07-14-13, 05:03 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ESsearch
I find the car very capable for travel. The seats are comfortable to me ( 6ft tall, about 240) and the ride is smooth. It's great to drop the seat backs and load up 2 suitcases.... Easy to get to speed and maintain it. No problem passing cars/trucks when needed. Gas mileage about 43 when going 65-70mph, but will drop to 39-40 when going 75-80mph. We could take my GS, but prefer the CT on these types of trips. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Pete
Pete,

I'm also 6ft tall and "about" 240. We originally ordered a fully loaded 2012 Prius to replace my wife's 2005 Prius about 14 months ago. The 2005 Prius seats gave me back aches after 45 minutes. The 2012 Prius sears were better than the 05 but when the car came in we decided the seats still were not comfortable so we cancelled the deal. When I sat in the CT that convinced me.

The CT is smaller inside than the Prius but the seats fit me like an old comfortable shoe.

We drop the back seats when travelling. We put the dog bed for our 25 pd Jack Russell and a bird cage with our Amazon Parrot in the back with suit cases.

The mpg you report s exactly what we experience displayed on the car computer. The only thing we ave found s that the car computer is 5% optimistic. We have tracked every mile and gallon used since we got the car here;
https://www.fuelly.com/driver/flyct/ct200h

JR