CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

wifey cant decide...

Old 06-22-13, 03:16 PM
tank97
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wifey cant decide...

she's thinking about getting 2010 Ls460 or 2013 ct200-F. what is the difference between the 2 besides the power and saving gas? thanks!
Old 06-22-13, 03:47 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh wow.

besides the MPG and power, the obvious difference is size!! she may not regularly notice or feel MPG or power, but cabin size is something she will have to live with day in day out.

the CT is small. the cabin is cozy but can be cramped. the LS is like a big ole boat compared to the CT. if you regularly or frequently transport passengers or older children, i would say the CT is going to be a challenge if it's the only car. if she's mainly driving herself around, the CT would be fine. very economical.

they are both great cars, just serve different purposes!
Old 06-22-13, 07:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Wow, two totally different cars at opposite ends of the Lexus lineup. Interesting that both are being considered and I can only imagine it's due to a 35-40K$ budget.

Besides what lexuslover stated and personal design/styling preferences your wife may have, other things to factor in. If you value prestige and knowing you want the vehicle that has won the most #1 quality and reliability awards since 1989, look no further - get the LS. It is known for the highest levels of automotive craftsmanship, reliability, fit-and-finish, materials quality, noise levels, ride quality, and so on. Here's just one very recent one, of hundreds of awards, won over the years: http://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/06/1...quality-study/

The LS will also have available options to coddle you that the CT doesn't have:

pre-collision, VDIM, BSM, self-parking, rear and side sun shades, self-closing trunk, wallet key fob, heated steering wheel, power tilt and telescoping steering wheel, dynamic radar cruise control, top-notch sound systems (i.e. ML), rear DVD, and the list goes on...

The CT's biggest advantage is its operating costs.
It will be much cheaper than the LS. Besides fuel costs of at least 60% cheaper for the CT (regular vs premium and 40+ mpgs vs 20), its maintenance costs will also be similarly cheaper especially if you service it at a Toyota dealer (it's mostly a Prius mechanically). I wouldn't service the LS at a Toyota dealer as there is no equivalent Toyota model...

As a nearly 2.5-year owner of the CT, believe me, the CT is a fantastic commuter city car that is cheap to operate, fun to drive and easy to park all with a sporty style to it. Ride is a little firm and somewhat noisy (for a Lexus), but acceptable. However, if operating costs were not a factor to me, without a doubt I would be choosing the LS over the CT as I value craftsmanship, luxury, and heritage. There is no comparison.

Good luck and keep us posted! This is really an interesting set of choices.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 06-22-13 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-22-13, 09:45 PM
tank97
Driver

thanks guys! i know you cant compare CT vs LS but for some reasons she come up with that..lol. i told her just get the CT coz it will be just for work days and cheaper $40k and cheap gas too, since we have LX for weekends only coz of the mpg...lol. but she keep telling me that we have 5yrs old daughter that she goes with her in school and 90% of her driving is on the freeway so she said she needs power..lol. her price range for Ls is $45k-50k and she's asking me what's the difference between the sport version vs regular ls460...
Old 06-23-13, 09:02 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

If it's the power she wants, why not the new 2014 IS350? That's right on the money for the budget. It'll be bigger, more comfortable and more powerful than the CT200h. Also, it'll be easier to park than the LS460, more conservative on gas and be sporty!
Old 06-24-13, 11:56 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by tank97
thanks guys! i know you cant compare CT vs LS but for some reasons she come up with that..lol. i told her just get the CT coz it will be just for work days and cheaper $40k and cheap gas too, since we have LX for weekends only coz of the mpg...lol. but she keep telling me that we have 5yrs old daughter that she goes with her in school and 90% of her driving is on the freeway so she said she needs power..lol. her price range for Ls is $45k-50k and she's asking me what's the difference between the sport version vs regular ls460...
The CT is weak on highway passing especially considering the CVT responsiveness of a second or so delay. You'll likely be in Sport Mode often times, with a heavy foot, negating the benefits of the high mileage potential. Plus, you will hear more road, wind, and engine noise especially with the heavy foot. The CT engine noise is not that appealing (buzzy sewing machine sound). Will your wife be able to tolerate this if she's considering an LS?

As an alternative to the CT, putting styling and size aside, is the ES 300h. It's an excellent quiet highway cruiser with sufficient power and excellent fuel economy like the CT and although it also has the CVT, with more power on tap, the responsiveness will be better and you will be less heavy on the pedal.

You can also go for an IS as nabbun suggests, but high 20s mpgs is all you'll get on the hwy.

As for differences between a 2010 LS Sport and a standard LS. Sport has:

Ext:
sport 19 in wheels and sporty styling cues like honeycomb grill
you can only get this model in short wheel base version

Int:
- can get two-tone leather interior
- front seats have heavier bolstering
- all leather wrapped and heated steering
- steering mounted paddle shifters
- Height and firmness adjustable air suspension

Keep us posted!