CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New Owner - 2011 CT200h - Low gas Mileage -

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 08:15 AM
SteveKnows
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Owner - 2011 CT200h - Low gas Mileage -

On Dec 30 I bought a used Lexus CT200h - 2011 - with 33,000 miles on it. It looks to be that I have the premium audio package w/o navigation and heated seats. First of all I will say January was a brutally cold month here in the Northeast ( PA here) and I really only drive the car limited miles on weekends - I currently travel and work out of state with a company vehicle during the week. Due to the frigid temps I have been letting the car warm up say 10 minutes - before driving it out of the non-heated garage, I also use the seat warmers. I will start it, the ready light comes on then about 20 seconds later the motor kicks on and I guess it starts the engine to provide the car with some warm heat. So on January 5th I filled the car up - regular gas - and re-set the odometer. 5 weeks later ( weekend driving only) I was down to about 1/4 tank. I refueled to full - it took 7.1 gallons and I had driven 225 miles. so an average of 31.5 Mpg. I would say I have been driving a combo of local and some highway averaging about 35-45 local and 65-70 highway. Even with the cold weather and the warming of the car I still expected at least 35 mpg. is 31.5 feasible? could there be something else at play here? The car still is under original factory warranty - till 50k or 7 more months and in addition I did buy an extended warranty. Any Ideas on what it could be or does the 31.5 sounds feasible for the way I have been using the car?
Old 02-20-14, 12:48 PM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveKnows
First of all I will say January was a brutally cold month here in the Northeast ( PA here) and I really only drive the car limited miles on weekends - I currently travel and work out of state with a company vehicle during the week. Due to the frigid temps I have been letting the car warm up say 10 minutes - before driving it out of the non-heated garage,
I don't know what "brutally cold" means in Pennsylvania, but I doubt if it is anything close to what we experienced during December and January (daytime highs of -20C (-4F) and over night lows of -30C (-22F).

Anyhow, letting your engine warm up for 10 minutes is going to drastically increase your fuel consumption -- you're getting 0 mpg while it's idling. It should be sufficient to let the engine run for a minute or two and then to start driving gently. Try that and you should notice an improvement in your fuel economy.

Last edited by JayGoldste; 02-21-14 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 02:39 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayGoldste
Anyhow, letting your engine warm up for 10 minutes is going to drastically increase your fuel consumption -- you're getting 0 mpg while it's idling. It should be sufficient to let the engine run for a minute or two and then to start driving gently. Try that and you should notice an improvement in our fuel economy.
+1

where the fuel economy is going to really shine is slow driving, coasting, or stop and go traffic. really any other driving conditions (including idling in the morning) is going to kill your MPG
Old 02-20-14, 03:51 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Warm up not needed

Originally Posted by SteveKnows
I have been letting the car warm up say 10 minutes - before driving it out of the non-heated garage
I think we've found the biggest reason your fuel economy is low. Unless your backing out of your garage onto a major highway where you have to seriously stand on the gas to be safe, there is no reason to warm up the ICE. I push the start button, place the car in gear, release the brake and I'm on my way under electric power. The ICE starts up after I've already moved a few feet. Keep in mind that you aren't putting any real demand on the ICE until the needle on the eco gauge moves into the power section.

Additionally, you'll get better fuel economy when the temps warm up and you can get gas that's not the winter blend. Also, short trips are mpg killers.
Old 02-21-14, 01:38 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default A few factors to consider...

Your mileage will improve without warming up the car....
Your mileage will improve the longer you drive the CT because the catalytic converter and engine coolant need to warm up before the gas engine will stop while slowing and stopping.
The Winter weather can affect the mileage 5 MPG especially using the seat heaters.
The way you drive will affect mileage. Heavy foot in Sport mode like me will get mid thirties. Eco mode with smooth pedal will get over 40.
Gas formula will help after Winter.
Summer will use A/C more and affect mileage again.
Old 03-02-14, 01:53 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For short trips, i leave the car in B so it'll reach operating temps and stay there. You can also do the grill block mod to let less air hit the rad to keep temps up in D.