Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-17, 04:34 PM
SMGS300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Issue

Hey Everyone,

Has anyone else experienced this while coming to a stop under certain conditions say like in the rain or if the road is uneven if feels as if the brakes don't work momentarily. I've had it happen a few times in my 13 where its like the brakes give out or are slow to respond and the car sorta surges forward few a brief moment. Was wondering if any else heard of this or experienced it?
Old 05-24-17, 07:00 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SMGS300
Hey Everyone,

Has anyone else experienced this while coming to a stop under certain conditions say like in the rain or if the road is uneven if feels as if the brakes don't work momentarily. I've had it happen a few times in my 13 where its like the brakes give out or are slow to respond and the car sorta surges forward few a brief moment. Was wondering if any else heard of this or experienced it?
I've experienced this many times. It has to do with the ABS kicking in momentarily when the car hits a bump while braking at low speeds. This is not unique to the CT200h. It is disconcerting when it happens, but is not a safety hazard as the brakes are working.
Old 05-24-17, 05:06 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by SMGS300
Hey Everyone,

This has been discussed many times as it is common on our cars. Some owners see it as the ABS kicking in, and is normal, while some of us see it as a major fault (like me) as it allows the car to lose braking for a bit and potentially increase braking distance, which means an increased likelihood of crashing into the car in front of you.

I should note that no other car I've ever driven has ever done this, so I just can't believe this is normal.
Old 05-24-17, 06:42 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raidin
This has been discussed many times as it is common on our cars. Some owners see it as the ABS kicking in, and is normal, while some of us see it as a major fault (like me) as it allows the car to lose braking for a bit and potentially increase braking distance, which means an increased likelihood of crashing into the car in front of you.

I should note that no other car I've ever driven has ever done this, so I just can't believe this is normal.
I've had this happen too. While disconcerting, I can confirm that the 3rd gen Prius brakes exactly the same way so it's probably normal :/
Old 05-26-17, 05:54 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by codenko
I've had this happen too. While disconcerting, I can confirm that the 3rd gen Prius brakes exactly the same way so it's probably normal :/
Maybe normal for the CT and Prius line of cars, but not for any other car I've ever driven. I should go test it more specifically though.
Old 05-31-17, 05:12 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Raidin
Maybe normal for the CT and Prius line of cars, but not for any other car I've ever driven. I should go test it more specifically though.
I have been trying to reproduce this but to no avail. It just won't do it anymore. The only difference that I can think of is that my brakes are now at 25%. I don't think that should matter but who knows. I'll try again once my brakes are replaced.