CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Tom's Replica front lip with pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-13, 04:18 PM
GrnKouki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would it do any harm? installing without it, or is there alternative way?
Old 03-13-13, 10:54 PM
bsmoov
Rookie

Originally Posted by GrnKouki
would it do any harm? installing without it, or is there alternative way?
I don't own the replica lip so I can't say. Ask Mitch I'm sure he can tell you an unbiased answer as I'm not sure how the replica lip is manufactured/designed.

As for the authentic lip, there is a "ridge" that accepts the "T" gasket molding and it wedges in between the lip and the actual bumper for:

1: A nice tight fit
2: A good transition of flow of lip to bumper
3: Protection from potential scratches to the bumper from your lip "rubbing/chaffing" against your bumper
4: A sealant for water/debris to get caught in that potential gap preventing any scuffing/scratches
5: It's how its supposed to look authentically

For example: You hit a dip with your front bumper/lip...simple physics will tell you that your lip will move. The lip is attached against your bumper. (NOT UNDERNEATH YOUR BUMPER) so when the lip moves up, it "slides/moves/gyrates" up and down against your brand new CT 200h's front bumper and paint. Depending how close it is and how abrasive the contact is, it will scratch or damage the paint on your bumper. Save money by potentially causing damage to a fresh brand new bumper...

Last edited by bsmoov; 03-13-13 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-14-13, 09:50 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

I'd have to agree with bsmoov. I don't think it will look bad without the gasket, but it will rub more and possibly look less authentic. If it makes u feel any better my authentic uk front end on my old type R ep3 never had gaskets and looked fine. It's really personal preference IMO.
Old 03-14-13, 09:52 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Also if your body shop will sand the edges smooth and possibly round them prior to a nice paint coat it will cut down on the sharp edge rubbing against the bumper. Plus mine will barely move no matter where I push and pull due to a bunch of double sides tape.
Old 03-29-13, 05:12 PM
tigermack
Driver School Candidate

That looks real good. I was just going to buy this lip for my girl's CT and your review gave me confidence on the fitment.
Old 03-29-13, 06:42 PM
bsmoov
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mitch08ISF
Also if your body shop will sand the edges smooth and possibly round them prior to a nice paint coat it will cut down on the sharp edge rubbing against the bumper. Plus mine will barely move no matter where I push and pull due to a bunch of double sides tape.
Good advice.

FYI: "push and pull" carefully on your own car is quite different than curbing your lip causing all of that force to move the lip against your bumper. Curbing, dips, driveway steeping, hitting anything WILL cause the lip to move no matter how much double sided tape is on there.

(for example: if you "mold" a lip to your bumper via bondo/body filler/fiberglass it'll look great. You can push and pull and it would not move, right? hit something and that thing will crack caused by the movement/vibration/force)

Before my CT, I had a BMW 5 series with a carbon kevlar strassentech lip. Once I took that lip off to sell it, my lower bumper (where the lip covered) had all kinds of nasty rash/scratches/paint wear...
Old 04-02-13, 08:37 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something I've used before on lip installs that was missing the gasket was liquid electric tape. I would mask a fine and neat line where the lip met the bumper and apply to 2-3 coats of the liquid tape.

It dries to a glossy/rubbery vinyl, and would help prevent the same concerns with scratches and what not due to the lip moving at times.

Old 04-03-13, 12:39 AM
WadeJaws
Driver School Candidate

The thing with the Toms lip is that is uses the gasket to make it flush with the bumper via a taper. You can always install the lip without the gasket but that would leave a small void from where the lip meets the bumper. It's hardly noticeable but if you know what you are looking for... it's an eye sore.
Old 04-03-13, 10:00 AM
tigermack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by baddis es
Something I've used before on lip installs that was missing the gasket was liquid electric tape. I would mask a fine and neat line where the lip met the bumper and apply to 2-3 coats of the liquid tape.

It dries to a glossy/rubbery vinyl, and would help prevent the same concerns with scratches and what not due to the lip moving at times.

Great tip. I have some at home somewhere, I will try that out!