CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Looking at this CT200, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-15, 08:22 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking at this CT200, any advice?

Hi Guys,

I've been eye balling CT-200 and was curious what to look out for when buying these type of cars? I'm coming form an IS250 so I'm pretty familiar with that engine and chassis but the hybrid CT is some what foreign to me.

Here is the one I'm looking at, would you say this is a decent price? High miles? What kind of maintenance or things should I be looking at around 100K miles? Is there any known issues for this year CT?

Any advice, or input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-09-15, 08:43 AM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Post up the link so we can have a look! I've had a few Lexus in the past, CT is amazing. Much better than the Prius as far as suspension, quietness, features, etc.
Old 04-09-15, 08:59 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Some how I manage to miss the link,

http://www.np35lot.com/vehicle-detai...-tx-id-8479797

Here it is!! I had a loaner CT for a day and I like the car, but didn't drive it enough to really know for sure about a future purchase. It was extremely quiet and didn't realize it was even on when I first got in, or started it up. This one doesn't appear to have any options like Blue Tooth or NAV, seems like a base model but again I don't know what these cars are supposed to come with standard.
Old 04-09-15, 09:18 AM
kq1206
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks to be in good shape but carfax points out its been damaged. Its also been in lot since 2/2/15. Both good bargaining chips. I've purchased a used vehicle from North park on san pedro only to find out it had bad accident on rear. I'd have the vehicle checked by mechanic to see how extensive damage was.
Old 04-09-15, 09:25 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kq1206
Looks to be in good shape but carfax points out its been damaged. Its also been in lot since 2/2/15. Both good bargaining chips. I've purchased a used vehicle from North park on san pedro only to find out it had bad accident on rear. I'd have the vehicle checked by mechanic to see how extensive damage was.
Good catch, I had not even seen the carfax link until you mentioned it. I'm kinda curious though, if it's even wise trying to buy one of these cars with almost 100K miles. I know Toyota/Lexus have a great track record of reliability well pass their 200K mile as long as you keep regular maintenance up on the vehicle, but I'm just not educated enough in these Hybrids.

Has there been any recalls on this particular year or known issues? For example, in my 07 IS250, there has been numerous recalls of sticky dash problems, fuel line issue, and various other problems reported. Granted this car is only a '11 so most of these recalls probably haven't surfaced yet.
Old 04-09-15, 09:47 AM
kq1206
Driver School Candidate

I've heard that the batteries go bad and is a large repair bill so make sure you do your homework. If you do purchase vehicle and plan on keeping it for a while, get extended warranty to cover cost of repair/replacement.
Old 04-09-15, 10:37 AM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kq1206
I've heard that the batteries go bad and is a large repair bill so make sure you do your homework. If you do purchase vehicle and plan on keeping it for a while, get extended warranty to cover cost of repair/replacement.
I've been a little concerned about this since I bought my car and after reading your post, I did a 10min google search to see if people have DIY'd battery fixes. I was happy to find that it won't cost the $3-4000 that I had originally thought.

Short story short, it looks like you have two options:
1. $1500 - Replace the whole battery unit. RockAuto sells them, but you need to send your "old" one back. Claims to be "plug-n-play".
2. ~$100 - Replace the individual battery modules. Info here. Obviously a much more labored/risky job, but a fraction of the price.

So depending on your willingness and finances, you can DIY and save money. I don't think any CT owners have needed to do either of these options yet since I believe our batteries are under an 8 year warranty regardless of swapping owners.
Old 04-09-15, 10:47 AM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Other than the accident on carfax it looks good. Batteries can be replaced outside of the dealership for much less as others have mentioned. You could get it taken to a local Lexus dealer for a PPI.
Old 04-09-15, 04:08 PM
kq1206
Driver School Candidate

Either way I would get it checked for proper repair. Also if can't do your own repairs, get extended warranty. Besides that you really can't go wrong with Lexus/Toyota products.
Old 04-13-15, 01:37 AM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Deegee
Good catch, I had not even seen the carfax link until you mentioned it. I'm kinda curious though, if it's even wise trying to buy one of these cars with almost 100K miles. I know Toyota/Lexus have a great track record of reliability well pass their 200K mile as long as you keep regular maintenance up on the vehicle, but I'm just not educated enough in these Hybrids.
Prius hybrid system on Lexus CT is even more reliable than normal powertrains, but check what kind of collision damage it has suffered.