CT 200h Model (2011-2017)
View Poll Results: Extended Warranty: Yes or No?
Yes
51.28%
No
48.72%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Extended Warranty: Yes or No, Why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 04:51 AM
DBV1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way - Consumer Reports has an excellent rating on this car for reliability. That is why a bought a Lexus/Toyota for reliability. If I was going to have to worry about an extended warranty then I would have bought an Audi, Mercedes or BMW.
Old 08-08-12, 06:16 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

The reliability of the car is already built into the price. An extended warranty on a car with a good overall history is less expensive than one for a car with a history of problems.
Generally, almost all analysts advise against these extended warranties.
I've had three Lexus cars over the past 20 years, and have spent maybe ten percent on repairs that would have been covered. Of course, you don't want to generalize from insufficient data, but an EW is just a bet that you have bought a bad car.
If you were in the business of selling extended warranties, how would you price them?
Old 08-15-12, 01:49 PM
hookah66
Driver School Candidate

I have owned two of the worse reliable cars in the industry: BMW and Peugeot! And I have never had any issues once the warranty expired. Of course during the warranty period, there were a lots of repairs needed. These pre-paid plans and extended warranty are useful only if you are absolutely a retard and don't understand anything about cars. If you customarily do not check engine oil, under inflate the tires, drive at 75mph on donut tires then, YES go for the extended warranty.

Last edited by hookah66; 08-15-12 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-16-12, 02:20 PM
gen1md
Driver School Candidate

My 2010 IS250 is currently at 36, 379 miles. So I just searched the forums and came across a guy named Toby at Lexus of Shreveport who has gotten good reviews here.

At any rate, I just purchased a 6 year/125,000 mile Extra Care Platinum ($0 deductible) for $1,590.

My dealer here in the city quoted me $1,690 for this same warranty about 4 months ago.

My reason for getting the warranty was the simple fact that in May I had to get the driver's door lock actuator replaced and then in June I had to get the passenger door lock actuator replaced. Both of those jobs out of pocket would have been between $1400 - $1500. Now I think one of my rear actuators is next because I heard the "whirring" noise. So I bought the warranty.
Old 08-16-12, 02:58 PM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It Depends on YOU

Originally Posted by SpeyRod
OK, we are picking up the CT tomorrow.

The technology behind the systems is new to me. Should I, or did you, buy and extended warranty?

Please let me know your thoughts.
With a Lexus you probably don't need an extended warranty. The vehicles are so well built that the odds are against having a major breakdown in the first 100,000 miles or so. However, in the unlikely event that you DO have such a problem, the cost of repair can easily exceed what the extended warranty costs. So whether you buy one or not has a lot to do with how important security and peace of mind are to you. If worrying about paying for a godawfully expensive repair would keep you or your spouse awake at night, go ahead and spring for an extended warranty, as long as it is a Lexus warranty and not some junk sold by a third party. I recommend the top-of-the-line Platinum kind with no deductible and coverage up to 100,000 miles or until the vehicle is seven years old, whichever comes first. The last time I checked, that kind of warranty is pretty well identical in terms of coverage to the factory warranty that comes with a new Lexus. But if you buy one, be sure to shop around. Prices for the same warranty can vary a lot from dealer to dealer.
FYI, we just bought our third RX since 2000. For the first one, we bought an extended warranty and never used it so it turned out to be a waste of money. For the second one, we had a major repair within a year of buying it and that would have cost more than we paid for the warranty. However, our extended warranty cost less than $2,000. If we had bought it from our local dealer instead of a dealer in Louisiana, we would have paid nearly twice as much, which would have exceeded the cost of the repair. You just have to weigh it all out, including price, how you feel about your Lexus, how long you want to keep it and your own personality. Remember, you don't need to buy an extended warranty at the time of purchase. You can get one anytime before the factory warranty expires. So you have plenty of time to think it over and to shop around.
As for me, I am not sure I will buy one for the 2013 RX 350 that I just bought. It'll all depend on how I feel as the time to decide draws near. I may opt to trade it when the warranty runs out or I may decide to risk having no warranty for a year or two. Either way, the decision will be more psychological than financial.
Good luck.
Old 08-17-12, 06:14 AM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfischer
By paying $2,000 for an extended warranty, the car buyer is betting that he will have a lot of expensive repairs. After all, if he has $2,000 worth of repairs, he only breaks even. Since warranty prices are not set by chimps, the collective experience of many owners indicates that this will not happen. This owner hopes that he is going to be more unlucky than most.
Some people are swayed by a report from an owner whose bad transmission was replaced under such a warranty, but neglect to consider that 5,000 other warranty buyers had no such experience.
If you consider yourself unlucky, which can be a good thing (it would keep you from gambling, for example, or from cheating on your wife), by all means get the warranty. Usually, however, the smart money stays away.
Actually it doesn't take much for a Lexus repair cost to hit $2,000. It no longer need be a transmission or engine, it can be any number of high-tech gadgets. Also, if you shop around you can get an extended warranty for under $2K. With that said, I remain someone ambivalent. To me there is no one answer that fits all.
Old 09-21-12, 10:44 PM
JONIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I am looking into buying an extended VSA warranty too

Originally Posted by jfh
I bought the extended warranty, but at a significant discount to list price. I suspect it is unlikely that I will need it, but 1 or 2 issues after the 4 year factory warranty expires and it pays for itself. If no issues,I still have piece of mind for 7 years (and I suspect the EW would be a selling point in any private sale).
Hi there,

how much of a discount did you get? I am looking into buying it for my 2009 is250. 8years/75k miles or the 8years/100k miles.

THanks ahead of time.

JOn
Old 09-22-12, 06:24 AM
Radiotube
Driver School Candidate

My Certified 2011 with 22,300 miles on it came with a 3 year/100k warranty. The car is in mint condition too. The previous owner was a Lexus service tech at the same dealership. Loving it so far.
Old 01-01-13, 11:33 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

i paid a little extra for an 8 yr/100k. im getting old and starting to feel lazy about working on cars ... lol
Old 01-03-13, 05:41 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No extended warranty my nameplate is the warranty for me - LEXUS -

My car got dragged through a complete quality inspection by Lexus this summer they gave me a 100 gift card to allow them to do it. Car came through with flying colors.

Hybrid system has extended warranty anyway iirc. If you drive a lot of miles , yes.

My car just touched 5k miles in 15-16 months. I'd run out of time before mileage. But, if you only have one vehicle to rely on and drive it right up to the warranty mileage numbers 100k or whatever they are , then yes buy one for piece of mind. Its a numbers game.

My car should be fine if I keep it 8 yrs it will only have 40-45k tops on it. They are built to go 150k minimum. I know chit happens ....but with Lexus its less often.
Old 01-07-13, 08:08 AM
hookah66
Driver School Candidate

Default ct200H is a Prius in disguise ...

Originally Posted by SpeyRod
OK, we are picking up the CT tomorrow.

The technology behind the systems is new to me. Should I, or did you, buy and extended warranty?

No, I did not buy extended warranty. The Lexus CT200H is in reality a fourth (I think) generation hybrid of the original Prius. And you got almost 2.8 million Prius'es world wide. Have you seen how the Parking Meter maids and sanitation inspectors drive their Prius in NYC? Plus you got hundreds of yellow cab Prius in NY as well. I have yet to read any mechanical issues related to the latest Prius/Camry hybrids. The bottom line is that you got to perform the basic maintenance, i.e. oil change every 5K (this is my recommendation, not the scheduled 10K), keep your tires properly inflated, rotate the tires and immediately balance your tires the moment you notice any shimmer on the steering, Toyota Prius are known to last more than 250k miles of continuous fleet service without a hitch. The hybrid system is known for its rock solid durability. The ICE, i.e. the 2ZR 4 cylinder 1.8L modified Atkinson VVT engine is one of the most reliable 4 cylinder engine in the industry.

I have put 11k miles on my ct200H since I picked her up at end of August 2011; I driven the entire Eastern seaboard, from Cabot Trail in Northern most tip of Nova Scotia all the down to Islamorada, Key West without a single mechanical incident. Search Toyota Nation's Prius webpage and read their members commentaries on Prius. This is just my two cents opinion.

Last edited by hookah66; 01-07-13 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-19-13, 06:48 AM
FergU
Driver School Candidate

I got the warranty. I just got away from a car that started having little issues that were simply not major enough to even pay to have repaired. (rear defroster,clicking noise in interior fan damper, etc) but they were enough to annoy me. Since I got my CT with 0.9% December to Remember, adding the warranty was not even noticed.
Old 01-22-13, 09:34 AM
ahxks1
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thank God my LS460 is a CPO

After hearing this sound, like a rock rolling around in the engine compartment on corners and during brisk acceleration, I took my '07 LS460 to the dealership. Thank God I have a CPO, as they said they replaced several control arms. Though it's convered under a bumper-to-bumper warranty, I asked what it would have cost if there was no warranty. Rep said $3300.

I love my '07 LS460, but its not as refined, or as quiet as my '02 LS430. That was silky smooth acceleration; whereas the '07 has an ggressive and choppy ride, even with the softer riding tires I put on.

Forget about the courtesy cars they gave me. That 2013 ES was as impressive as a Maxima, and the 2013 RX was no better than a RAV4.
Old 01-22-13, 09:59 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

I've had an RX and I've had a RAV4, and the Lexus is a far better car.
I was also very impressed with the ES cars that I have been given as loaners.