CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

dealer ignorance of radar cruise

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-12, 10:05 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer ignorance of radar cruise

I talked to yet another dealer salesperson today who didn't know anything about radar cruise. Like another guy he called it "laser cruise" he said it isn't good for commuting and basically didn't know his own product.

Lexus only sells about a dozen cars, and their option packages are pretty simple. You'd think the stupid dealers could bother to learn more about their own product than their customers.

I suggest dealers watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/v/ImtNlfsYDSw&rel=0&hl=en_US
Old 04-01-12, 05:37 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats the question? in all due fairness, technical questions should always be directed to the Service Department...we back up the sales people!

I have it on mine, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control....its a very cool system...

here is some info direct from Lexus's dealer internal information:

Pre-Collision System (PCS) and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (Available/Premium model only)

FUNCTION
Uses advanced technology to anticipate an unavoidable collision; maintains a set driving speed or following distance

BENEFIT
Provides an extra measure of safety and peace of mind for CT 200h drivers and their passengers

DETAILS
The Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is an available amenity on CT 200h Premium models. The system uses a millimeter-wave radar sensor mounted behind the front grille to recognize a vehicle or obstacle in the radar detection area in front of the CT 200h. If an object is present within range of the millimeter-wave sensor, the radar detects the distance to the object, the relative speed and the course based on the reflected waves and reacts to the input of the Pre-Collision System.

The PCS consists of three operations: pre-collision (collision is deemed to be unavoidable), front or rear wheel skid tendency, and emergency braking. In a pre-collision operation, the driving support ECU determines an unavoidable collision condition based on signals from radar, speed, steering angle, and yaw rate and deceleration sensors. The driving support ECU then outputs requests to set Brake Assist (BA) to standby mode, to the air suspension and steering controls, and to the seatbelt ECU. While the seatbelt control ECU retracts the front seatbelts by operating the Pre-tensioners, BA applies optimum braking force based on signals from the master cylinder pressure sensor. All of this occurs without any driver intervention to help mitigate the effects of an imminent accident. If no collision occurs, the seatbelts and BA return to their normal states. In front or rear wheel skid tendency and emergency braking, the PCS operates only the seatbelt retraction function, with seatbelts returning to their normal state when the relevant condition of the vehicle is stabilized.

Using the same millimeter-wave radar sensor as the PCS, the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control System appropriately controls the engine throttle position and brakes to maintain either a constant speed (when there is no vehicle in front of the CT 200h) or a constant following speed between the CT 200h and a vehicle traveling directly in front of it. Like the conventional cruise controls, controls for Dynamic Radar Cruise Control are mounted on the stalk to the right side of the steering wheel, conveniently positioned to maximize accessibility while minimizing distraction. There's also a Distance Control switch, located on the right steering pad.

The Dynamic Radar Cruise Control System consists of two cruise control modes—Constant Speed Control and Vehicle-to-Vehicle Distance Control. Constant Speed Control operates like conventional cruise control and is used when no vehicle is traveling ahead of the CT 200h to maintain a constant set vehicle speed. Also, Constant Speed Control has a lower settable vehicle speed limit of 25 mph, versus 30 mph for Vehicle-to-Vehicle Distance Control.

Vehicle-to-Vehicle Distance Control allows the driver to select and maintain a constant vehicle-to-vehicle distance in three stages—long, middle or short—by using the Distance Control steering pad switch located on the right side of the steering wheel. Vehicle-to-Vehicle Distance Control also includes Deceleration Control, which reduces the speed of the CT 200h in accordance with the vehicle ahead, when the system detects that the vehicle ahead is traveling at a slower speed. Follow-up Control, which operates after Deceleration Control, enables the CT 200h to maintain a vehicle-to-vehicle distance proportionate to the speed of the vehicle ahead. Acceleration Control is when the system detects that either the vehicle ahead or the CT 200h has changed lanes and accelerates gradually to a set vehicle speed, then maintains that speed.

Drivers can monitor the status of the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control System—set vehicle speed, constant speed mode, vehicle-to-vehicle distance and vehicle ahead—via the multi-information display. Warning messages, which indicate system failure, are displayed as well including “Check PCS System,” “PCS Not Available,” “Clean Radar Sensor,” “Cruise Control Not Available” and “Check Cruise Control System.”

While this feature is designed to enhance safety, there are limitations to the system, which make it imperative to understand that only the driver (not the Pre-Collision System with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control) has the ability to recognize and avoid obstacles or execute emergency avoidance maneuvers.

The PCS will not operate under the following conditions:
Oncoming vehicle speed is approximately 20 mph or less
CT 200h vehicle speed is approximately 3 mph or less
The seatbelt is not buckled
Collision object is not detected by the radar sensor (i.e., plastic items such as safety cones; items that cannot be detected in a stable manner such as people, bicycles, motorcycles, trees, animals, snow, fences, etc.)
Power source is in “OFF” or “ACC” position
PCS switch is “OFF”
Multi-information display indicates “Check PCS System” or “PCS Not Available Now”
The CT 200h collides with an object located outside the detection area of the radar sensor
Old 04-01-12, 05:39 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

and here is the US version video HOW TO VIDEO

Old 04-01-12, 10:48 AM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by tsopranoMB
whats the question?
The question is: can I buy one? Or can I at least drive one? Since they don't have any on the lot with radar cruise (why don't they order some?) they say it isn't good because they just want to peddle what they have on the lot.

Does Lexus know that their own salespeople are bad mouthing their options? And that they are so uninformed about their own technology?
Old 04-01-12, 01:28 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Our dealership is only allocated the occasional LS or LX with PCS. Everybody at my dealership loves radar cruise and when we do get a car equipped with it, it is already sold. As for a ct with PCS, they are probably afraid to get a fully loaded ct that may sit on the lot for a while. They should be able to DX one in for you from another dealership. I dont know how prevalent they are in VA. We havent had one yet at least.
Old 04-01-12, 05:09 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmisst
The question is: can I buy one? Or can I at least drive one? Since they don't have any on the lot with radar cruise (why don't they order some?) they say it isn't good because they just want to peddle what they have on the lot.

Does Lexus know that their own salespeople are bad mouthing their options? And that they are so uninformed about their own technology?
of course they are available, usually as an option when BUILDING one, if you want one, you can get it....however, it will be RARE to see one with it, just like the HS250h with its full tech package...

my advice is to seek the Sales Manager or General Sales Manager to voice your opinion about the ignorant Sales person who you were dealing with...
Old 04-01-12, 06:28 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I talked to yet another dealer salesperson today who didn't know anything about radar cruise. Like another guy he called it "laser cruise" he said it isn't good for commuting and basically didn't know his own product.

Lexus only sells about a dozen cars, and their option packages are pretty simple. You'd think the stupid dealers could bother to learn more about their own product than their customers.

I suggest dealers watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/v/ImtNlfsYDSw&rel=0&hl=en_US
Exactly. And I agree.

I think Lexus understands this too, which is why just the other day they announced that they will now have people at the dealerships that understand all the complex systems on the cars they sell.

Here is the press release from Toyota, and BTW, radar cruise with Lane Keep Assist and Lane Departure Warning are the coolest advancements yet !!

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...ps+march12.htm
Old 04-02-12, 08:55 AM
ACowabunga
Driver School Candidate

Why is this option not listed in "packages" when building a car but it is listed in available options on another link within the Lexus website? If it wasn't for this thread, I would have totally skipped over this package. Thanks.
Old 04-02-12, 10:18 AM
Jerryss
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I have PCS on my 2012 CT, and I love it. I use it on the Freeway, and on roads where the speed limit is above 40-45.

It took me a while to find one, and I had to get the "top" end (minus the F stuff).

tsopranoMB gave a VERY good description. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Jerry
Old 04-02-12, 06:05 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jerryss
I have PCS on my 2012 CT, and I love it.
everyone who has the radar cruise (especially that kind that brings the car to a stop like mercedes, bmw and audi) loves it.

but stupid lexus seems to offer it only on brochures, and dealers never have one on the lot or even know anything about it.

Why does lexus pretend to offer something as an option, and then seem to do everything possible to make it hard for people to buy it?
Old 04-02-12, 10:40 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

everyone who has the radar cruise (especially that kind that brings the car to a stop like mercedes, bmw and audi) loves it.

but stupid lexus seems to offer it only on brochures, and dealers never have one on the lot or even know anything about it.

Why does lexus pretend to offer something as an option, and then seem to do everything possible to make it hard for people to buy it?
thats because certain states may not carry all the options due to allocation....

a dealer can always get one though via trade with another dealer or special order

enough with calling lexus stupid
Old 04-03-12, 09:23 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

thats because certain states may not carry all the options due to allocation....

a dealer can always get one though via trade with another dealer or special order

Agreed, Just DX one in
Old 04-04-12, 07:14 PM
zmisst
Rookie

enough with Lexus and their dealers and their salespeople acting stupid.

and saying something stupid is "due to allocation" doesn't it make it any less stupid.

If Lexus wants to advertise and include in their brochure an option, they should educate their dealers about the option and they should have the option available at least to order if not to test drive (presumably that is asking too much). Some dealers didn't even know what it was.
Old 04-04-12, 07:36 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

They are available for order. And Lexus reps go around from dealership to dealership training the sales staff on the product. Plus every sales person is registered in a training program to receive certification. Plus lexus has just made two new job positions that were created to know the technology and help customers. You should talk to the sales manager or the area Lexus rep. But they are available to order or DX in from another dealership. I don't know how they wouldn't know what it is.
Old 04-07-12, 03:15 AM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusNN
But they are available to order or DX in from another dealership. I don't know how they wouldn't know what it is.

They claim there is none on the east coast. B/c such a high demand car (a high demand car selling for $2k under MSRP according to the price paid thread). !

either the dealers are lying because they just want to sell what is on their lot (most likely) or they are do not have the foresight to order the cars with the options that people want. Ordering from the factory is another hassle with a long wait and inability to lock in the price (probably more lying dealer tactics).

I'm really astonished that Lexus is making it so hard for me to give them my money.

Last edited by zmisst; 04-07-12 at 03:25 AM.

Quick Reply: dealer ignorance of radar cruise