CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Left car on all day any way to 'auto shut off'?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-12, 09:34 PM
symgryph
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Left car on all day any way to 'auto shut off'?

I accidentally left my car running all day yesterday. It was o.k. in that the thing had only used 1/8 of a tank of a gas for 8 hours of being on, but I am really disturbed that it kept on running after the key was with me the whole day.

Is there any way of 'oops I forgot to turn off the car so it will turn itself off' when the key isn't present near the car?

It seems the key is only necessary when the car is first started.

Thomas

Last edited by symgryph; 03-31-12 at 09:37 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 04-01-12, 06:44 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's one of the "things" with a hybrid and the smart key system.

You're not alone . That's happened before to people when the ICE of the hybrid system has shut down, it easy to forget that the system is on, get out, and walk away without turning the system off.

Thing is, a thief could have hopped in and drove away, and as long as he never shut it off, and filled it with gas, he'd have a nice CT to play around with.
Old 04-01-12, 07:59 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I was out on a job a Lexus ES3?? parked near our truck I realized the engine was running so I watched and a lady came out from the Doctor's office and I politely said she left the car running and that I kept an eye on it for her. She did not realize she forgot to turn it off and thanked me for watching it. So it is not only hybrids but anyone with a key fob system.
Old 04-02-12, 07:19 AM
gpunkt
Driver School Candidate

I had the 2006 Prius and it happened 2-3 times that I hit the power button to switch off the car in a hurry, then I jumped out of the car to go away. Because I never hit the P-button before switching off, the car was in D and drove a few inches...
That never happened when I owned the 2010 Prius and did not happen since I own the CT. They must have changed the power button settings. My 2006 Prius did not accept being switched off at the same moment it came to a full stop. I had to wait until the speedometer also showed 0.
Old 04-02-12, 01:30 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you try to lock your car every time you leave it, it won't lock unless you've turned it off. As easy as the car is to get into and out of when the key is in your pocket, there's no reason not to lock it out of 'good' habit.
Originally Posted by symgryph
I accidentally left my car running all day yesterday. It was o.k. in that the thing had only used 1/8 of a tank of a gas for 8 hours of being on, but I am really disturbed that it kept on running after the key was with me the whole day.

Is there any way of 'oops I forgot to turn off the car so it will turn itself off' when the key isn't present near the car?

It seems the key is only necessary when the car is first started.

Thomas

Last edited by Cruiter; 04-02-12 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-03-12, 08:32 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
If you try to lock your car every time you leave it, it won't lock unless you've turned it off. As easy as the car is to get into and out of when the key is in your pocket, there's no reason not to lock it out of 'good' habit.
^ I agree with this. I've left the car on twice without shutting it off, but out of habit of locking the car, which I think would be normal whether it be in the garage or anywhere, it beeped abnormally and wouldn't lock and I was thinking "What the heck?!" Then I realized it was still on.

Does the CT not beep or prevent itself from locking, when trying to lock the car with the car still running?

Last edited by Individual; 04-03-12 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-03-12, 09:28 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

All Lexus cars with the keyless entry beep at you when the car is running and the key leaves the car. So when you step out with the key in your pocket, the car beeps 3 or 4 times to tell you that it is still on and that it doesnt recognize a key in its zone. It also flashes a warning message on the dash that says the key isnt there and the car is still on.
Old 04-05-12, 07:26 PM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNN
All Lexus cars with the keyless entry beep at you when the car is running and the key leaves the car. So when you step out with the key in your pocket, the car beeps 3 or 4 times to tell you that it is still on and that it doesnt recognize a key in its zone. It also flashes a warning message on the dash that says the key isnt there and the car is still on.
Very good point. Shocking he didn't hear the beeping when leaving the car. I too make it a habit to always lock my car, even in my driveway (but not in my garage). This is a non-issue if you lock your car (really don't know why anyone wouldn't lock their car regularly).
Old 05-13-12, 04:47 PM
FNFZ4
Driver

I too tried this. you can not lock the car when its on
Old 05-13-12, 05:26 PM
nagsabog
Driver School Candidate

i never use the park button. i just push the power button to shut off since that puts it in park anyway. that way i have to push power off or else the car will still be in gear.