CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Lexus CT vs. HS

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-12, 10:38 AM
ntrainer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus CT vs. HS

The Lexus HS 250h has suffered pretty low sales, and many people have said they thought the introduction of the Lexus CT would essentially doom the HS. Personally, I feel like the two cars attract two different buyers. Our family was after a "commuter" car that could sometimes also double as a 4-person car on weekends, when we wanted to head somewhere as a family. When our 7-year-old sat in the back and deemed it "too cramped," that killed the CT for us. (I happen to agree with her... even at 5'6", I wouldn't think the CT was very comfortable in the back seat for a trip of any length.) We're now happy, proud owners of the HS. But I thought I'd ask those of you who chose the CT: Did you consider the HS at all? Are these competing cars... or not?
Old 02-08-12, 11:13 AM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have both the CT and the HS. I find that they are two different cars and I agree with you that the HS is more comfortable for rear passengers. The HS also has more gizmos. Although, I do love my CT better.
Old 02-08-12, 12:02 PM
hdave
Driver

HS did not cross my mind because it was too expensive and the styling is not appealing to me.
Old 02-11-12, 04:58 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hdave
HS did not cross my mind because it was too expensive and the styling is not appealing to me.
YUP. Same here, can't see paying that much more for that car and the styling kills it for me too.
Old 02-14-12, 09:03 AM
seldridge
Driver School Candidate

I am interested to hear opinions also. i am considering buying a used 2011 CT or a used 2010 HS. Opinions on buying used Lexus? This will be my first car.
Old 02-14-12, 10:58 AM
ntrainer
Driver School Candidate

Well, perhaps you can tell from my original post, but I don't think these are really very similar cars, for similar customers, even though (a) both are hybrids and (b) both are Lexi. The CT seems to me to be a car for those who are NEVER going to need to transport humans in the back seat -- or who have only very short people in their families. Nothing against the CT: It's obviously selling well. But we exchanged our '97 Acura Integra LS for the HS because we assume that our 7-year-old and 3-year-old will soon be a 17-year-old and a 13-year-old -- or at least, they will be by the time we're done with this car. And I don't want to have a car that isn't even capable of transporting us all comfortably.

As for buying a used Lexus, we just did. Our 2011 HS was used, though only slightly (6,700+ miles). I'm no expert on used car buying, certainly, but would always advise anyone to examine the "certified used" inventory first... You're buying peace of mind, which is worth it to those of us who aren't car experts. FWIW, we bought ours for $1,000 less by NOT getting it "certified," but that's because it was an '11, and thus the manufacturer's original warranty will by operational for longer than the "certified used" warranty would be. (The "certified used" warranty just chops a year off of the "new" warranty, but is otherwise the same.)
Old 02-14-12, 01:55 PM
jngjng
Driver School Candidate

I did consider the HS as well but after reading about it and looking at it in person I felt that the CT had more of a nicer look. Plus with the F Sport it added a little bit of a sport bit to it. Although I didn't drive the HS I did read that the handling wasn't as good as the CT, but then again I wasn't expecting either to have the same driving characteristics as a BMW.
We use the CT all the time driving the kids back and forth so the back seat is good for them (7 and 4 year olds) and the car seats fit fine. I'm definitely satisfied with the CT, especially when it costs $30 to fill up and the X5 costs $65!
Old 02-16-12, 08:41 AM
BgLftyinaz
Driver School Candidate

I looked at the HS,but thought it was the most useless car avil.Lack of trunk space and the seats don't fold down to add any. I liked the car ,but that killed it
Old 03-09-12, 11:53 PM
dblugoose
Driver School Candidate

I agree that the CT and the HS are marketed towards 2 different people. But if you take the styling out of it (btw I LOVE hatchbacks), the CT is still the better car. Not only is it cheaper, but the fuel economy is better (CT - 43/40, HS - 35/34), the driving dynamics are better, and the car is more reliable. New issue of Consumer Reports list the CT as the NUMBER 1 most reliable car. The HS has a history of problems. I am sure they are fixed now, but it is definitely something to consider.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun...ecall-20100626
Old 03-10-12, 07:42 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i do not own either but i know if i needed to get a hybrid i would easily choose the CT based only on the looks. the styling is very appealing and something id be proud to say i own
Old 03-12-12, 06:35 AM
ntrainer
Driver School Candidate

Oh, come on, dblugoose, you can love your CT without talking smack about the HS! Yes, the fuel economy is better on the CT. As for "driving dynamics," whatever that means, some prefer the CT and others the HS. And as to reliability, the HS hardly has a "history of problems." In its first year, the HS had an unfortunate recall. This happens to lots of 1st year vehicles. Since then, it's been pretty smooth sailing with the HS, and it has Consumer Reports' recommendation for reliability (even as it's not selling very briskly). The technology and luxury features inside the HS are far superior to the CT, IMO.

Both the CT and HS are great cars... I asked my original question not to confirm which car was better, but to ask whether potential HS customers were being steered toward the CT for some reason. For me the back seat room in the CT made it a non-starter, but the CT has been a sales success, whereas the HS is selling far fewer than anticipated, and rumor has it Lexus may discontinue it.
Old 03-12-12, 08:32 PM
dblugoose
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ntrainer
Oh, come on, dblugoose, you can love your CT without talking smack about the HS! Yes, the fuel economy is better on the CT. As for "driving dynamics," whatever that means, some prefer the CT and others the HS. And as to reliability, the HS hardly has a "history of problems." In its first year, the HS had an unfortunate recall. This happens to lots of 1st year vehicles. Since then, it's been pretty smooth sailing with the HS, and it has Consumer Reports' recommendation for reliability (even as it's not selling very briskly). The technology and luxury features inside the HS are far superior to the CT, IMO.

Both the CT and HS are great cars... I asked my original question not to confirm which car was better, but to ask whether potential HS customers were being steered toward the CT for some reason. For me the back seat room in the CT made it a non-starter, but the CT has been a sales success, whereas the HS is selling far fewer than anticipated, and rumor has it Lexus may discontinue it.

sorry ntrainer,

i in no way meant to bash the HS. there are definitely positives and negatives to both. I guess I love the CT so much that the comparison came out as a bash. The reasons i mentioned above is what "steered" me towards the CT. But i have to admit that the CT could use more rear space and better power. If I could get the new toyota camry hybrid engine in the CT and still get 43 mpg, I would be in heaven.

Last edited by dblugoose; 03-13-12 at 12:24 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-12-12, 10:11 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the CT. I thought it was so hot. There is nothing out there like it, and it is so far ahead of anything that the American manufacturers have come up with so far. The perfect blend of sport with super economy. It's the type of car for the future.

It was my first choice. That is until the "boss" said come over here and look at this sedan. After I pulled myself up out of the CT and sat in the HS, my back said "thank you", and it was a decision I had to make and sleep on for many nights.

I've had many cars like the CT where I had to climb into and they fit me like a glove like the CT does. But this time I wanted a luxury sedan, and the HS felt more like the flagship LS 600h than the CT did. I wanted as much technology as I could get, and I don't make enough to afford the LS 600h, so I chose the HS and my back thanks me every time I get into it. After 2 BMW M3's, it was time to slow down.

One's a hatch back. One's a sedan. Two totally different cars for two totally different buyers with one thing in common. Maximum economy with maximum class and style.
Old 03-13-12, 05:10 PM
DigitalEye
Driver School Candidate

I've seen a few HS's and, no offense, but they seem quite un-remarkable. I think Toyota would be better served marketing a hybrid version of the ES (since its traditionally been a nicer version Camry anyway). I honestly can't see the demographic that they were shooting for with the HS.

To answer the original question: No I never considered the HS and I don't really see the two cars as competitors.
Old 03-13-12, 11:06 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I did considered the HS before making the choice to purchase the CT. I also considered the IS F. The HS and CT cater to different buyers. CT is an entry level luxury hybrid hatchback whereas the HS is a luxury hybrid sedan. I don't think they compete with each other at all.

Last edited by Trexus; 05-15-12 at 08:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2021ES300 (06-15-22)

Quick Reply: Lexus CT vs. HS