CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Injen MR Short Ram Air Intake Install!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 01:52 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Injen MR Short Ram Air Intake Install!

Just wanted to give Paul a shoutout and great big THANKS for his hard work in research and development and for the Injen intake for my CT.

My CT doesn't sound like it's struggling when I accelerate hard, rather, there's a nice deep throaty hum when I accelerate past 3-4k RPM.

If I'm not mistaken, +10 HP and + 17 ft/lbs of torque gains! w00t. I've noticed a 2-3 MPG increase as well (which brings me back to factory MPG since I have larger wheels and non-rolling resistance tires).

And of course, this intake was dyno-tested and confirmed to not interfere with engine control systems. No check engine lights. CARB certification is in process and will probably take a year (not really a concern if you're not living in CA, in case you get pulled over and the cops hassle you).

I LOVE THIS INTAKE! Go INJEN!

**No cold air intake since there wasn't much room in the lower part of the engine compartment to fit the CAI, unfortunately.**

Old 11-13-11, 04:17 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting idea on a hybrid. I take it those HP gains are at the fly and even lower at the front wheels.
Old 11-13-11, 05:56 AM
Dozer42
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_RN
Just wanted to give Paul a shoutout and great big THANKS for his hard work in research and development and for the Injen intake for my CT.
So, how much is it, and where's mine? =]
Old 11-13-11, 06:09 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want!!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-11, 07:55 AM
hdave
Driver

Was it dyno tested before and after the intake? 10 HP and 17 lb/ft seems like very high gains on this little motor.
Do we have any prius owners who can chime in?
Old 11-13-11, 01:33 PM
Bane
Rookie

Originally Posted by hdave
Was it dyno tested before and after the intake? 10 HP and 17 lb/ft seems like very high gains on this little motor.
+1

I would like to see dyno numbers. Changing the intake on my Lotus Exige (Toyota powered) actually reduces power at the wheels... most modern OEM intakes are designed very well.
Old 11-14-11, 09:39 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hdave
I agree. Thinking those #'s might be from a butt dyno.

Though after looking at his intake pics, I had to pop my hood to remember what the OEM intake looks like. I had NO IDEA that the air intake port/tube on this car runs parallel with the front of the car, with the opening/inlet just behind the passengers side headlight (sucking air from the side of the car).
Old 11-15-11, 04:10 PM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Extremely hard to believe. When a claim is made with a simple intake install and no dyno sheets are listed my antenna goes up. 10/17 must be some sort of record on a little 1.8l .
Post them and I'll buy one.
Old 11-15-11, 04:21 PM
wickedsc3
Driver

On a motor designed for economy I could see 10hp gain, now engines that are designed with hp as part of the goal there is usually less to gain from a intake. Also, from the looks of the engine bay the stock intake is probably pretty restrictive.
Old 11-15-11, 06:17 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sound clip, I demand one!

This is actually pretty cool, I highly doubt CA cops would hustle you since you're driving a hybrid.
Old 11-15-11, 06:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

any pictures?!?!
Old 11-16-11, 11:02 AM
hdave
Driver

Originally Posted by wickedsc3
On a motor designed for economy I could see 10hp gain, now engines that are designed with hp as part of the goal there is usually less to gain from a intake. Also, from the looks of the engine bay the stock intake is probably pretty restrictive.
Also a claim of 2-3 MPG increase.
I highly doubt Lexus would have a stock airbox so restrictive on a car designed to maximize fuel economy.
Old 11-16-11, 07:55 PM
Bane
Rookie

Yep, think of the trade space for the design.

Toyota engineers have to balance power (directly related to flow), reliability (able to to work in all driving conditions), and noise (most people don't want their engine to sound like a vacuum cleaner). They understand the engine better than anyone since they designed it.

Injen can sacrifice reliability and noise for more power. The question is, how much power did Toyota leave on the table in order to achieve their noise, reliability, and producibility goals? If they are good at their job, it will be very little if none at all.

I'm dying to see a dyno chart!
Old 11-17-11, 09:08 AM
Dozer42
Pole Position

Send one up to me here in NorCal and I'll be happy to have it installed and do back to back dyno tests and post them.

Plus I've got my MPG about as high as I can (50+), if there's anything left on the table/gains from this intake, I'll find it. =]
Old 11-17-11, 09:53 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aznxenon
Sound clip, I demand one!

This is actually pretty cool, I highly doubt CA cops would hustle you since you're driving a hybrid.
Hustle him for what? An aftermarket conical air intake?

Quick Reply: Injen MR Short Ram Air Intake Install!