CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Gas Tank Size

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 09:54 AM
Jedi767
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see theyre talking about it a lot over at the PriusChat forums as well.. The GenIII prius has the same size tank as us as well as the same gauge issue..
Old 08-01-11, 10:07 AM
DJTIMMYD
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jedi767
I see theyre talking about it a lot over at the PriusChat forums as well.. The GenIII prius has the same size tank as us as well as the same gauge issue..
Well I guess it's good to know it's not just us that is having this issue. Maybe there will be a recall for it?
Old 08-04-11, 07:30 PM
midcow3
Instructor

Received 463 Likes on 291 Posts
Smile Drive until trip odometer says 400 miles

Originally Posted by Jedi767
Wish they would fix this.. I love going long range, but dont have the mindset to let it go so far past empty.
Here is the absolute best way to handle it.

Reset your trip odometer when you fill-up.

.... And yes the cut-off might not be the same each time and the yes the pumps might not be accurate.

But you know you have an 11.9 gallon gas tank and you know the EPA mpg 42. Multiply that together and you get a range of 499.8 miles.

So you drive until your odometer says 400 and you still have 99.8 left or a reserve of 99.8 miles (2.38 gallons)Or if you are more daring you drive 450 miles. This would still leave you a reserve of 1.18 gallons.

Okay so you want to drive harder and only get 35 mpg. Then adjust
11.9 times 35 = 416.5 set you refill point at 350 miles on the trip odometer.
Old 08-05-11, 09:48 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3

.... And yes the cut-off might not be the same each time and the yes the pumps might not be accurate.

But you know you have an 11.9 gallon gas tank and you know the EPA mpg 42. Multiply that together and you get a range of 499.8 miles.

So you drive until your odometer says 400 and you still have 99.8 left or a reserve of 99.8 miles (2.38 gallons)Or if you are more daring you drive 450 miles. This would still leave you a reserve of 1.18 gallons.

Yes, good point, that can be done, and one can take it a step further & put a 1 gallon tank of spare gas in the car to actually run this "test", but I don't think it's worth damaging the car!
Old 08-05-11, 10:42 AM
DJTIMMYD
Rookie

Originally Posted by midcow3

This is a great plan but at this point your needle would be way below E and I just don't have the guts to do it. The furthest I got was to 380 miles at 44mpg and my needle had cleared the last hash mark. I knew I had more gas left in the tank but I didn't have the guts to keep going. Of course when I filled up I could only put in 9.1 gallons. OH well
Old 08-05-11, 11:43 AM
dkidwell
Rookie

I love reading this. It makes me smile as I fill up at 1/4 tank and not a care in the world.
Old 08-07-11, 05:58 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dkidwell
I love reading this. It makes me smile as I fill up at 1/4 tank and not a care in the world.
I'm with ya!
Old 08-09-11, 03:16 AM
midcow3
Instructor

Post Reset trip odo and go 450 miles before fill-up

Originally Posted by DJTIMMYD
I have NEVER run out of gas. And if I did, I wouldn't turn around and blame the car company for not giving me enough reserve. I just think it's annoying that Lexus is treating us like children.

The whole fuel pump thing is a myth. I listen to Car Talk every week and they said that it won't hurt the car by running is down to when it near empty. I have always run my tank down to where a gallon or so is left in all the cars I've owned and I have never had any fuel issues.

I was expecting to get 400+ miles a tank out of this car especially since that's what it said in the brochure. The fact that my fuel light comes on at 320 miles even though I'm getting 44 mpg just doesn't make sense. I've been used to getting 30 or 40 miles after the light has come on in past cars and not having to worry. Having to go 80 to 100 just is too much for my brain to handle without worrying about running out of gas even though I know there is a lot more gas left in the tank.
The gas gauge is very conservative and the fuel light comes on when you have about 3 gallons left.

The actual gas tank is 11.9 gallons and if you are getting a "true" 44 mpg, that is a full tank range of 523.6 miles

When you fill up reset your trip odometer. When the trip odometer gets to 450 miles then fill-up, don't worry if the fuel light has been on for some time. At 450 miles you still have a reserve of 73.6 miles ( 1.6 gallons).

To run out at 450 miles you would have to be really accelerating hard, because you would have to get less than 450/ 11.9 = 37.8 mpg

Early discussions about gen III Prius ( same engine / fuel system as CT) indicate it ia no longer a pressurized bladder type gas tank. Make sure you fill up the gas tank to cut-off each time (don't overfill, could cause catalytic convertor problems).

Last edited by midcow3; 10-17-11 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-09-11, 10:43 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar...ess/fi-prius26
Old 10-12-11, 06:18 PM
bkuscsik
Driver School Candidate

Default newbie gas mileage issue

So I bought my CT this week and have driven highway miles completely. It occurred to me to set the trip odometer when filling up yesterday. The dash computer stated I was averaging 38.9-39.8 mph. However, the gas light came on at 320 miles driven since filling up. I kept going to 340, but since I just got the car and hadn't read any of these forums, I filled it up. You guessed it, it took exactly 9 gallons of gas. I'm not the smartest guy, but I think that works out to 36-37 mpg. My concern is that the computer constantly reported different numbers. Is it worth going back to the dealer, or is that just the way it is?

many thanks if this questions has been asked and answered.
Old 10-12-11, 07:08 PM
midcow3
Instructor

Post CT has gas gauge problem- Prius does not have gas gauge problem

[QUOTE=Jedi767;6575457]I see theyre talking about it a lot over at the PriusChat forums as well.. The GenIII prius has the same size tank as us as well as the same gauge issue..[/QUOTE

Actually the Gen III Prius DOES NOT have the gas gauge issue. I have a 2010 Prius model V with Advanced Technology Package and it does not have a gas gauge problem. I also have a 2011 CT200h with nav and it does have the gas gauge problem. You have to remember that what is said in the PrisChat forums is not always completely accurate.
Old 10-12-11, 07:17 PM
midcow3
Instructor

Post Lexus says the gas gauge operation is normal

Originally Posted by bkuscsik
So I bought my CT this week and have driven highway miles completely. It occurred to me to set the trip odometer when filling up yesterday. The dash computer stated I was averaging 38.9-39.8 mph. However, the gas light came on at 320 miles driven since filling up. I kept going to 340, but since I just got the car and hadn't read any of these forums, I filled it up. You guessed it, it took exactly 9 gallons of gas. I'm not the smartest guy, but I think that works out to 36-37 mpg. My concern is that the computer constantly reported different numbers. Is it worth going back to the dealer, or is that just the way it is?

It won’t do any good going back to the dealer; that is the way they designed it. Big brother Lexus doesn't want you to run out of gas.

Here is what I have found out. The gas tank is actually 11.9 gallons if you don't overfill.

Each 1/4 of the fuel gauge represents approximately 2 gallons. So at 3/4 you have used 2 gallons, at 1/2 tank you have used 4 gallons, at 1/4 you have used 6 gallons and at empty on the gas gauge you have used 8 gallons which means you have almost 4 gallons left. So at a reasonable Mpg of 40 you will have only driven only 320 miles when you hit empty and without any fear once you hit empty you can still drive another 100 miles. Lexus for whatever reason has a 3-4 gallon reserve when the analog gas gauge shows empty. They really want to not have you run out of gas by playing a psychological trick on your mind.
Old 10-12-11, 10:26 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bkuscsik

welcome to club lexus!

i experience the same thing. i drive about 80% highway. my computer MPG is usually between 40-41 mpg, but if i "do the math" based on trip odo divided by gallons filled, i calculate less than the computer. i don't know if it has something to do w/ the pump (maybe some pumps stop earlier/later than others, so you really can't say for sure if you are filling to the EXACT same level each time), but i tend to rely on the computer data for MPG.

i have let it run on the low fuel light up to about 350 miles on the trip odo, and the needle is at E or slightly below it, and the most i've ever filled is 8.9 gallons. i would love to push it to 400 miles per tank but i'm too scared.

sorry there isn't a better answer - just wanted to let you know that i have wondered the same thing.
Old 10-13-11, 06:43 AM
Dozer42
Pole Position

I go to 500 miles or more all the time.

Usually the low fuel light comes on around 380 miles or so, and I know there's a good 3 gallons or so left in the tank.

Even being conservative at 40mpg that's 120 miles, which should very easily take me to 500 miles.

But really I'm doing well over 45mpg calculated, so even then there's still plenty left in the tank.

Last edited by Dozer42; 10-17-11 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-17-11, 03:23 AM
bkuscsik
Driver School Candidate

Default gas tank update

So I ran the next tank until the gas light came on. I checked the fuel consumption computer which stated I had a range left of 3 miles. I quickly went to the gas station of course. Guess how much gas I could pump? You guessed it, 9 gallons on the dot. I guess what I have learned is that the gas light comes on with 2.9 gallons of gas left in the tank. Seems to me that I should be able to trust the data at least. I am going to make a trip to the dealer later this week. I feel like Lexus should address the issue. In addition to these forums, I spoke to a Master tech/shop foreman at one of my Lexus stores (I call on dealers) who said he was investigating the same concern for a couple other CT's

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Size