CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Lexus CT 200h LED Light Swap Courtesy of LuxuryMods.com! - Writeup for Puddle Lamps!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-11, 01:41 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb Lexus CT 200h LED Light Swap Courtesy of LuxuryMods.com! - Writeup for Puddle Lamps!

Swapped out my lights in my car today. Worked with Tony from LuxuryMods.com.

Tony will be putting together a kit for the CT on LuxuryMods.com.

June Gloom over here in Southern California. 0800 in the morning, 68 degrees Fahrenheit in Costa Mesa, CA. Did the LED swap in the parking lot. Approximately 45 minutes.

The CT is relatively simple compared to other Lexus models. No foot well lighting or door courtesy lights to replace.

Just two overhead map lights, one dome light, two vanity lights, two puddle lamps, one trunk light, and two license plate lights.

10 lights were exchanged total.

The lights are easily removed using a simple flathead screwdriver, so I won't go into much detail about replacing those. The hardest lights (and they weren't even that hard) to replace were the puddle lamps. Similar to the RX puddle lamps where you have to remove the mirror to get to the screws that hold the housing together.

This is a write-up for the puddle lamp LED swap.

You'll need a Phillips head screwdriver, and a 194 wedge 5SMD LED bulb.

Tilt the mirror as high as you can, then reach below it and start pulling up and out, exerting gradual pressure until the plastic clips release. As long as you exert gradual pressure, they will come off cleanly. It will take quite an amount of force. Once the two clips on the bottom release, pull outwards to release the top two clips.

Here's a picture of the passenger side mirror with the mirror off:

You'll remove 5 screws with the Phillips head screwdriver.

Then remove the rear mirror housing by pulling it straight out.

Here's a picture of the inside of the mirror housing after I've pulled it off:

Here's a rear view of the mirror with the housing removed:

You'll want to look up from the bottom of the mirror for the puddle lamp housing. I'm pointing at it in this picture:

Just pull the housing out, turn the bulb socket counterclockwise to remove it from the housing, and swap the bulb out. Make sure the polarity is correct by testing the bulb BEFORE reassembling the whole mirror housing! Just shut all the doors, lock the doors with the remote, and then unlock the car. The puddle lamp should light up!

Reassembly is the reverse of these directions. Same instructions for the other side.
-------------------------------------------
The bulbs that were used for other parts of the car are as follows:

Two overhead map lights (HomeLink console):

9SMD panel x 2

In my car:

Dome light:

24SMD panel:

In my car:

Vanity lights:

3SMD Flank 194 Wedge Bulb x2:

In my car:

Trunk light:

6SMD Festoon bulb - 31mm

In my car:

License Plate lights:

3SMD Flank 194 Wedge bulb:

In my car:

---------------------------------------------------
Here are some pictures of the completed mods:

Please contact Tony@luxurymods.com if you require further information or want to purchase a set for the CT. Good luck!

UPDATE: Tony has listed the CT lighting package on his website @ LuxuryMods.com! Check it out!

Last edited by Matt_RN; 06-27-11 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Corrected trunk light bulb size. Corrected vanity + puddle lamp light bulb type.
Old 06-24-11, 04:52 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice post, I've never seen LED panels like that! How much did the parts cost (w/out labor)?

Didn't think you need to remove the front cover of the side mirror to do that bulb, I saw the write up/instructions posted by Chunky over on CT200hforum.com and don't recall that part? Is that required?

I like what I see, with the exception of the license plate lights. That is some insane lighting just for a rear license plate! Is it really that bright in person!? Look at how much the pavement and top of your bumper are lit up too!
Old 06-24-11, 10:58 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

how did you remove the license plate assembly ?
Old 06-24-11, 11:00 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
how did you remove the license plate assembly ?
Back of the CT's trunk door, there are two cutouts. Lexus made it easy this time! Pop off the two cutouts, reach in, and unscrew the bulb assembly!
Old 06-24-11, 11:07 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Nice post, I've never seen LED panels like that! How much did the parts cost (w/out labor)?

Didn't think you need to remove the front cover of the side mirror to do that bulb, I saw the write up/instructions posted by Chunky over on CT200hforum.com and don't recall that part? Is that required?

I like what I see, with the exception of the license plate lights. That is some insane lighting just for a rear license plate! Is it really that bright in person!? Look at how much the pavement and top of your bumper are lit up too!

Thanks Jimmyc13! I don't remember how much each individual part cost, I do know that the panels are the most expensive parts of the swap. Try LuxuryMods.com or give Tony@luxurymods.com a quick e-mail. Tell him Matt sent you and he'll hook you up.

Re: the front cover of the side mirror, after you take off the front mirror, there are 5 screws that need to be removed. These 5 screws actually attach the front of the mirror to the mirror cover/housing in the back. Once you remove the screws, you gotta remove the back housing since it actually covers the housing for the puddle lamp. If you go to your car and look underneath the mirror, you'll see the window for the puddle lamp. The window is just a cutout in the housing; the actual puddle lamp is encased in its own lens and housing and in order to access it, you gotta take off the mirror housing. If you look closer at the picture I took of the mirror housing off the car, you'll see the 5 screw holes that secure it to the actual side mirror.

It covers EVERYTHING behind the mirror, so with it on, you can't access anything since all the lights and turn signal indicators are actually behind and below the side mirror, rather than in front.

Re: the license plate lights, yeah, they're pretty bright, but I think my iPhone exaggerated it just a little touch. They do illuminate the entire bumper and some of the floor though, but they look pretty good on a white CT!

Appreciate the comments, let me know if you have any further questions!
Old 06-24-11, 11:16 AM
Solano
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks a lot brighter inside! I'll keep this thread in mind when I decided to do mine.

Oh and you're a nurse too
Old 06-24-11, 11:24 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Originally Posted by Solano
Looks a lot brighter inside! I'll keep this thread in mind when I decided to do mine.

Oh and you're a nurse too
YAY! Go RNs! Just graduated last August, started working at Long Beach Memorial after finishing my boards and whatnot. Been working in the CCU/ICU since and I LOVE IT!

It took about 45 minutes to finish this mod. It really cleans up the interior! I can see if anyone's hiding in my car as I'm approaching it and you can see inside the car even through dark 17% tint! Not that many people hide in my car. I did it more cuz it makes it so much easier to vacuum the car at night!
Old 06-24-11, 05:07 PM
LuxuryMods
Former Sponsor

Great writeup Matt!

The map lights were actually 9SMD panels

The vanity lights were the same bulbs used for the license plate.

The mirror puddles were 5SMD bulbs as the 9SMD bulbs are too big.

For anyone interested, please shoot me an email and I'll take care of you.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-24-11, 11:45 PM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Originally Posted by LuxuryMods
Great writeup Matt!

The map lights were actually 9SMD panels

The vanity lights were the same bulbs used for the license plate.

The mirror puddles were 5SMD bulbs as the 9SMD bulbs are too big.

For anyone interested, please shoot me an email and I'll take care of you.

Thanks in advance!
Duly noted. Updated my post to reflect that. Thanks Tony!
Old 06-26-11, 11:38 AM
LAX2TEX
Driver School Candidate

Tony: What about the reverse lights? What do you recommend? They currently are not very bright on the CT. I would definitely want those to stand out more... so they are more noticeable to drivers.

Kim C. ;-)
Old 06-26-11, 08:16 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Tony of LuxuryMods is simply the best, this guy knows his Lexus!
Old 06-27-11, 04:19 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

I just looked through the Lexus Owner's Manual for the CT, it says that there are footwell lights in the CT for both driver and passenger. I didn't see any last time I looked. Can anyone confirm that they exist in US CTs? It's kinda hard to tell now that I have the LED swap in place since the interior is so bright now! >_<
Old 06-27-11, 09:40 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_RN
I just looked through the Lexus Owner's Manual for the CT, it says that there are footwell lights in the CT for both driver and passenger. I didn't see any last time I looked. Can anyone confirm that they exist in US CTs? It's kinda hard to tell now that I have the LED swap in place since the interior is so bright now! >_<
Yes indeed (definitely on the passengers side) and they're quite nice. I haven't looked under there, but based on the type of lighting it provides, I'd guess they're already LED type lights. I like them a lot!
Old 06-27-11, 09:45 AM
Bob259
Driver

Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Yes indeed (definitely on the passengers side) and they're quite nice. I haven't looked under there, but based on the type of lighting it provides, I'd guess they're already LED type lights. I like them a lot!
Agree with Jim Matt. I wouldn't look at changing them either. Now the overhead, reverse and cargo area lamps are a different story
Old 06-27-11, 01:59 PM
LuxuryMods
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LAX2TEX
Tony: What about the reverse lights? What do you recommend? They currently are not very bright on the CT. I would definitely want those to stand out more... so they are more noticeable to drivers.

Kim C. ;-)
That's a good question! It looks like they use a #921 bulb which is pretty much a 194 base. Depending how the bulb is positioned in the socket, we have a couple of different types we can try out.

Maybe I can meet with you again Matt to try the reverse lights

Originally Posted by G Star
Tony of LuxuryMods is simply the best, this guy knows his Lexus!
Thank you sir!

Quick Reply: Lexus CT 200h LED Light Swap Courtesy of LuxuryMods.com! - Writeup for Puddle Lamps!