CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

True Cost of owning a hybrid vehicle

Old 05-06-11, 10:25 PM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Cost of owning a hybrid vehicle

Hi, I was set on getting a slightly used IS350 for my next daily drive but recent spike in gas price got me interested in CT200H. I took a look at a CT200H at a local dealership and I am definitely smitten about the look of the car and I think I can see myself in one.

I'm interested in knowing what the true cost of ownership of a car like CT200H. Obviously, you will save a lot of money on gas, but let's say something goes wrong with a hybrid-specific part in your car. Is the Lexus dealership the only place that can fix the problem? Knowing most dealerships charge an arm-and-a-leg for pretty much everything, would they/do they charge premium for hybrid-related problems? Or is there non-Lexus shops that know how to fix hybrid vehicles?

It seems that some of you are previous Prius owners, which have been around longer than CT200H. Any first hand experiences?

Thanks,

Last edited by Gymniac; 05-06-11 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-06-11, 11:40 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

The Prius has turned out to have one of the most reliable drivetrains on the market. The water pump is electric, the power steering is electric, there are no fan belts or timing belts (all of which reduce maintenance costs over time considerably). The motor gets very little wear due to not even being on as often as regular motors, its also quite sturdy and doesn't have any leaking tendencies. The CVT transmission has life-long fluid, so no maintenance there either. The coolants also have very long service intervals, and oil changes are 10,000 miles.

So ya, maintenance costs are VERY low for this car about as low as possible next to a pure electric vehicle. The reliability of the drivetrain is outstanding as mentioned, so its a near-zero-worry drivetrain.

Also, I used to work next to a Toyota dealership, so I saw what was involved with the battery replacement and its not a huge fiasco like they make it out to be. Its a heck of a lot easier than a motor/transmission job, and its cheaper too even brand new (the batteries can be purchased used if you so desire for not nearly as much money, but at that point we are talking MANY MANY years down the road).

Battery replacements have also turned out to be not nearly as common of occurrence as people speculated, its a non-issue and the maintenance costs saved due to everything else more than make up for the possibility of a battery replacement.
Old 05-07-11, 01:26 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Usually with battery replacements, I've heard that if they fail, they fail early on, within the warranty period. The warranty on hybrid parts is long, 8 years or x amount of miles (can't remember off the top of my head).
Old 05-07-11, 04:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by matttom
Usually with battery replacements, I've heard that if they fail, they fail early on, within the warranty period. The warranty on hybrid parts is long, 8 years or x amount of miles (can't remember off the top of my head).
thats not for Toyota hybrids, as I dont remember stories about them failing early on.
Old 05-07-11, 04:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gymniac
Hi, I was set on getting a slightly used IS350 for my next daily drive but recent spike in gas price got me interested in CT200H. I took a look at a CT200H at a local dealership and I am definitely smitten about the look of the car and I think I can see myself in one.

I'm interested in knowing what the true cost of ownership of a car like CT200H. Obviously, you will save a lot of money on gas, but let's say something goes wrong with a hybrid-specific part in your car. Is the Lexus dealership the only place that can fix the problem? Knowing most dealerships charge an arm-and-a-leg for pretty much everything, would they/do they charge premium for hybrid-related problems? Or is there non-Lexus shops that know how to fix hybrid vehicles?

It seems that some of you are previous Prius owners, which have been around longer than CT200H. Any first hand experiences?

Thanks,
Toyota/Lexus Hybrids with HSD system are very low maintainance as Kosta said.

Not only no belts and very reliable, but also very long lasting brakes - lots of Prius members report PADs lasting for over 100,000 miles due to regen braking.

According to many different surveys, Prius is one of the most reliable cars on the road in the World today (and often the most reliable).
Old 05-07-11, 07:18 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats not for Toyota hybrids, as I dont remember stories about them failing early on.
LOL. I meant IF they did fail. I've only heard of one or two and that was because of certain cells that were faulty. Each cell in the battery pack can actually be swapped out. And if the battery starts to go out years and years and years later, you can get the cells refurbished. By that time, battery prices should be considerably cheaper.
Old 05-07-11, 07:29 AM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My uncle has a Prius and have been driving it for 6 years I believe and already at 180,000 and maybe the worst that happen was the gas tank was only taking 6 gallons and no more and that was quickly fix.
Old 05-07-11, 07:20 PM
dgstan
Rookie

Originally Posted by DINH300
My uncle has a Prius and have been driving it for 6 years I believe and already at 180,000 and maybe the worst that happen was the gas tank was only taking 6 gallons and no more and that was quickly fix.
I've put over 150K on my 2005 Prius. The only problem I had was the inverter coolant pump went out. It cost about $400 to fix. Later on, there was a recall for that very issue and Toyota reimbursed me the $400.

Never have done the brakes or anything. Fluids and oil/air filters only. The cabin filter is supposed to be replaced regularly, but I've found you can simply rinse it out and it's as good as new.

First set of tires lasted 25K - the stock tires are crap. Second set lasted over 80K. I'm now on the third set. I cannot imagine a car that could have been better maintenance-wise. I hate the thought of selling it, but just got the letter today from the DMV that the carpool sticker expire in July.

OK - Here's a complaint: The large front windshield seems to eat wiper blades. I think I've replaced them about once a year.
Old 05-11-11, 08:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dgstan
I've put over 150K on my 2005 Prius. The only problem I had was the inverter coolant pump went out. It cost about $400 to fix. Later on, there was a recall for that very issue and Toyota reimbursed me the $400.

Never have done the brakes or anything. Fluids and oil/air filters only. The cabin filter is supposed to be replaced regularly, but I've found you can simply rinse it out and it's as good as new.

First set of tires lasted 25K - the stock tires are crap. Second set lasted over 80K. I'm now on the third set. I cannot imagine a car that could have been better maintenance-wise. I hate the thought of selling it, but just got the letter today from the DMV that the carpool sticker expire in July.

OK - Here's a complaint: The large front windshield seems to eat wiper blades. I think I've replaced them about once a year.
Prius used values are off the chart right now, maybe the best time to sell?
Old 05-11-11, 08:51 AM
Bob259
Driver

Just read an article in Consumer Reports where a person wrote in with a Gen 2 Prius with over 250k trouble free miles and the performance is the same as it was when new... That say's it all!!!!!!
Old 05-11-11, 08:56 AM
dgstan
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
Prius used values are off the chart right now, maybe the best time to sell?
July 1st, the carpool stickers expire. I'll keep it until then, but expect it to take a hit price-wise once the stickers are toast.
Old 05-11-11, 11:58 AM
fasthuh
Lead Lap

I will miss the yellow sticker power ... No problems so far, there are recalls on my Prius but I haven't had issues yet, so I will have to bring it in. If you are in CA, no SMOG testing required, that's approximately $70 savings every 2 years.

I think its the weekly or monthly fillups (depending on your drive) that you will see a major difference from all fuel vehicles.
Old 05-12-11, 04:52 PM
bretzke
Driver School Candidate

After 100K miles in these hybrids, do the batteries hold less of a charge? Is there a point where the mileage benefit is reduced as the miles tack on? Do you ever replace the battery pack or just keep on driving?
Old 05-12-11, 05:41 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

the hybrids of toyota/lexus are really liable, rarely have problems with the hybrid battery itself, common misconception about the hybrid is that the hybrid battery does not power the car, but drive its. all hybrids still have a 12v conventional battery placed in the trunk behind the passenger tailight on the CT models. The only hybrid i've seen at a dealership which a problem on the hybrid battery itself is a RX and it was in an accident and body shop did a hack job, therefore water leaked into the back seats and into the hybrid battery. The thing with the CT and any other lexus hybrid, is the car needs to be driven every week! you let the car sit in the garage for a week without a battery tender and i can guarantee it'll be dead. The 06-09 Lexus RX hybrids had it worse until the revamp
Old 05-13-11, 06:45 PM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bretzke
After 100K miles in these hybrids, do the batteries hold less of a charge? Is there a point where the mileage benefit is reduced as the miles tack on? Do you ever replace the battery pack or just keep on driving?
Great question, I was wondering that exact thing myself. Cell phone batteries only hold a charge for so long, then you need a new battery or need to replace it. What about these hybrids, does the mileage stay the same once you're at 100K miles!?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: True Cost of owning a hybrid vehicle