CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Bumper scratch/road rash

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 11:55 PM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Bumper scratch/road rash

UGH. I am SUCH a schmuck. I was falling asleep trying to get home, finally got home. Parallel parked on the street in front of the house. Remembered that street sweeping was the next day, so i did a u turn to park on the other side of the street. I was an idiot and didn't want to park in the driveway where the freaking birds would crap on my car (there's a big tree over the driveway). As I made the u-turn, i couldn't see how far the curb was and scraped the car just as I was completing my u-turn. I did it slowly, and had to back up to finish my u-turn once I heard my car start to scrape. Now there's a scrape on the right front of my bumper. It's silver, roughly 1x4 in. this sucks.

Any suggestions anyone?

Old 04-25-11, 12:46 AM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, your dealer probably has a hook up for a touch-up type vendor who can take care of it without having to repaint the entire bumper.
Old 04-25-11, 02:10 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

I'll ask him. Hopefully I can get this resolved soon. It hurts to see this. URGGH.
Old 04-25-11, 02:10 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

I guess things like this happen. It just sucks that my car is only a month old now. Sigh.
Old 04-25-11, 03:12 AM
dochusar
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask you dealer, if your dealer has a bodyshop on retainer, they always have someone to make bumper repairs for them.
Old 04-25-11, 10:50 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

that is one high curb...sucks to see
Old 04-25-11, 10:56 AM
dalton
Rookie

Originally Posted by matttom
UGH. I am SUCH a schmuck. I was falling asleep trying to get home, finally got home. Parallel parked on the street in front of the house. Remembered that street sweeping was the next day, so i did a u turn to park on the other side of the street. I was an idiot and didn't want to park in the driveway where the freaking birds would crap on my car (there's a big tree over the driveway). As I made the u-turn, i couldn't see how far the curb was and scraped the car just as I was completing my u-turn. I did it slowly, and had to back up to finish my u-turn once I heard my car start to scrape. Now there's a scrape on the right front of my bumper. It's silver, roughly 1x4 in. this sucks.

Any suggestions anyone?

Matt - I did the same thing a week or so after purchase at a parking lot at the mall. It's lower than it seems. Sorry to see that. Longo has a good repair shop, but not sure on the cost for something like that. They shouldn't have to remove and repain the entire thing, though.
dalton
Old 04-25-11, 03:13 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry, I know that these hurt , especially when the car is so new. Many cities have bumper repair services that come right to your house or office. I had my son's Infiniti bumper fixed this way. They matched the paint and contour of the bumper perfectly, so you'd never know. His cost about $300 but was dented and more extensive than your damage.

Check it out.....have it fixed and you'll feel better .
Old 04-25-11, 03:17 PM
DJTIMMYD
Rookie

Originally Posted by matttom

Any suggestions anyone?

Google Touch Up Paint and you will get many places that sell the OEM touch up paint. I got it for my HS last year for a scratch similar to yours and it worked great.
Old 04-25-11, 07:27 PM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Well folks, I'm getting it repaired tomorrow. It's gonna be $175, which isn't bad at all, I suppose, considering how big and how bad the scratch is.

It's gonna be cleaned, sanded, filled, primed, painted x3 (Starfire Pearl is a tricolor paint), and polished. It should look pretty good, not as good as factory, but hopefully hard to see unless I'm looking really hard. Color Creations of Placentia, CA will be working on it tomorrow. Will post pics.
Old 04-25-11, 08:36 PM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

lol.. all jokes aside, I would have just left it alone or just use touch up paint temporarily and wait for an aftermarket lip to cover it up The scratch isn't THAT BAD....
Old 04-25-11, 11:52 PM
cenix
Driver

sorry to hear about that. it happens to the best of us. post pics when it's repaired!

muggy, the carbon fiber bandaid is great!
Old 04-26-11, 01:22 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Yeah muggy, that's pretty awesome! Is that your car, and if so, where'd you get something cool like that?!

As an aside, when do you think we'll be getting aftermarket lip kits stateside? And how do body shops mount those things anyways? I'm assuming there's drilling involved?
Old 04-26-11, 11:35 AM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

^ no its not my car, these stickers actually came out awhile ago . Just search up Bandage bumper sticker and you'll get tons of options. They're only about $1.50 each.

As for Aftermarket body kits, since CT just came out, give it a couple more months maybe even half a year because it takes time for vendors on the forum to carry them at a GOOD PRICE. I'm sure the companies are working on it as we speak. With authentic body kits like INGs, Vertex, and Wald, are usually direct bolt on to your oem bumper. Rarely do they need any drilling or anything that causes damages to your stock bumper.

BTW, keep an eye out for a member name Rashood, he's usually the fastest at finding pictures of new body kits for all lexus models.. (lol pressures on Rash!)

Last edited by J250; 04-26-11 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-26-11, 11:57 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Good times. A n00b question, but, what exactly does bolt-on mean? I've never worked with body kits before, the closest thing I've worked with are installing my grill guards on my former 2007 Lexus RX 350. Those were definitely bolt-on since I had to remove the front bumper and directly bolt it onto the chassis.

With an authentic kit that's well made, you mentioned that there would not be any drilling or any damage to the stock bumper, where would, for example, a front lip bolt-on to? Would it just be double-sided tape, or would it be bolted to the chassis somehow by extensions?

Quick Reply: Bumper scratch/road rash