CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Would you buy a used CT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 10:06 AM
Ultrasonic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would you buy a used CT?

I am contemplating a used red CT. It has less than 1,000 miles, and was traded back to the Lexus dealership.

I would not be getting any discount off the MSRP, so at that price I would prefer a new car with lemon law protection. What do you all think?

I know the car is hot right now. I have a perfectly good BMW with low miles that eats gas.

I'm guessing that the minute I buy the CT, the unrest in the Middle East will cease, gas will drop to $80 a barrel, and Japan will get the nuclear reactors under control. Should I take one for the team?
Old 04-13-11, 10:22 AM
Bob259
Driver

Is it covered by the certified extended warranty? If not I'd expect not to pay MSRP as it is a used car, regardless of what they say.
Old 04-13-11, 10:41 AM
cenix
Driver

for the dealer to not discount on the msrp is thievery at its finest. it's a used car, and they should be offering a break on the msrp. i say wait it out.
Old 04-13-11, 11:05 AM
felixdang
Driver

Tell them there crazy and just wait.. Rather just buy new if it's MSRP
Old 04-13-11, 12:09 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

The factory demo model at my dealership had 1500 miles on it when it was sold... I'm not sure if it was considered used or not.

Anyway, if you can't wait for a car, get it, if you can wait, then wait for a new one and let someone else bite the bullet.
Old 04-13-11, 06:14 PM
ftw
Rookie

The difference with a factory demo is that it is not titled previously, but has some miles on it and full warranty. This has miles on it and you are now the second owner, so on paper it is a used car plus the warranty started when the first owner purchased it. I would not buy it without some kind of discount just because you are buying a used car with miles, not a new car with miles as in the case of the demo. I bought a demo with some miles on it. On paper I am the first owner and I also got them to give me some discount off the msrp. I would wait if they are not going to discount.
Old 04-13-11, 06:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Being a demo car or a used car...its all technicality. The car has been used for 1000 miles and even though its never been titled, it still was owned by the dealership. Sometimes cars go back with low mileage because the person who financed it originally later didn't qualify for the car. Those cars are known as unwinds. If the car is in good shape and has no signs of abuse, I wouldn't worry about it. 1000 miles is nothing for any Lexus.
Old 04-13-11, 06:53 PM
LexFather

Its crazy but with the demand where it is and supply where it is someone will purchase it like new even if it was titled. Thats just the way things are when something is higher in demand and you want it now.
Old 04-13-11, 07:15 PM
Ultrasonic
Rookie

I decided against buying. The car was previously titled. I'm sure it's fine, but I don't need to pay MSRP for a used car. I can wait till supply increases. (Hopefully.)
Old 04-13-11, 07:54 PM
myersport
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This kinda reminds me of when the SC430 debuted. Lexus does not allow their dealers to mark up the sales price of new cars unreasonably, but does not regulate their used cars. In 2002, you could buy a new SC (if you could find one) far cheaper than a used one. Dealer employees were buying undelivered cars and selling immediately at the local auction and making Thousands. I don't think the CT is as extreme of an example, but they are getting hard to come by. My dealership is getting them one at a time, and they are all already spoken for. Three employees at my dealership (including me) have CT's, and those cars are what customers are shown who want to see one since there aren't any in stock.

Short Story--It's a Sellers Market right now.

--dennis
Old 04-13-11, 08:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by myersport
This kinda reminds me of when the SC430 debuted. Lexus does not allow their dealers to mark up the sales price of new cars unreasonably, but does not regulate their used cars. In 2002, you could buy a new SC (if you could find one) far cheaper than a used one. Dealer employees were buying undelivered cars and selling immediately at the local auction and making Thousands. I don't think the CT is as extreme of an example, but they are getting hard to come by. My dealership is getting them one at a time, and they are all already spoken for. Three employees at my dealership (including me) have CT's, and those cars are what customers are shown who want to see one since there aren't any in stock.

Short Story--It's a Sellers Market right now.

--dennis
Dennis, great post, very accurate!
Old 04-14-11, 08:13 AM
mm767cap
Driver

Originally Posted by Ultrasonic
I decided against buying. The car was previously titled. I'm sure it's fine, but I don't need to pay MSRP for a used car. I can wait till supply increases. (Hopefully.)
I think that was an excellent move. It's DEFINITELY a sellers market right now, but it won't be forever. One thing that I've been surprised with time and time again when I sell my cars is the question from the potential buyers: "Were you the first to own the car?" That really matters to some people, so if you are going to pay MSRP, you might as well be able to say "yes".
Old 04-14-11, 08:20 AM
Ultrasonic
Rookie

Originally Posted by mm767cap
I think that was an excellent move. It's DEFINITELY a sellers market right now, but it won't be forever. One thing that I've been surprised with time and time again when I sell my cars is the question from the potential buyers: "Were you the first to own the car?" That really matters to some people, so if you are going to pay MSRP, you might as well be able to say "yes".
I bought my current car used with 1,100 miles. The previous owner didn't car for the confusing controls. I think I paid about 75% of the MSRP, so there is a definite price to being "first."
Old 04-15-11, 04:44 PM
Ultrasonic
Rookie

Salesman is offering $500 off now. I don't know what's fair.
Old 04-26-11, 10:52 AM
DutchLS430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ultrasonic
I am contemplating a used red CT. It has less than 1,000 miles, and was traded back to the Lexus dealership.

I would not be getting any discount off the MSRP, so at that price I would prefer a new car with lemon law protection. What do you all think?

I know the car is hot right now. I have a perfectly good BMW with low miles that eats gas.

I'm guessing that the minute I buy the CT, the unrest in the Middle East will cease, gas will drop to $80 a barrel, and Japan will get the nuclear reactors under control. Should I take one for the team?
So whats the price for a gallon gasoline in the states,

let me shake you,

the price for 1 liter (1/4 gallon) in the netherlands is 2,61 dollar (1,80 in euro's) so let me do some calculations,
1 gallon is about 3,8 liters, 3,8 x 2,61= 9,90 for a gallon if you should live in the Netherlands, and still I sold my CT and bought an LS430 2006.

Hope you can live with this answer

Quick Reply: Would you buy a used CT?