CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Should I trade in my Prius? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-11, 10:42 PM
exbauer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same position as you were. I had a guy lined up to buy my Prius IV. I went around to Lexus and test drove it. I have to say I like the way it drives. I am fine loosing a couple of MPG. The one thing I didn't like is the placement of the armrest. It is too far back. If you were driving and have your hand resting on the center console it is where it is hard plastic. It wasn't comfortable. There were also things like the rear seats are really cramped, no leg room when I had my seat comfortable, no center arm rest, small cargo area. Also, it gets pretty costly if you option it out. But, it sure is more fun to drive than the Prius. In the end I stuck with my Prius.
Old 03-26-11, 10:22 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, from a Prius and Lexus driver's perspective, I wouldn't change the Prius. You'll take a bath on the Prius and you're gonna get gouged on the Lexus. I get 42 MPG in our 2010 Prius. I suspect you'll get less in the Lexus but maybe not much less (I get 30mpg in my IS250).
Old 03-26-11, 10:43 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Well, from a Prius and Lexus driver's perspective, I wouldn't change the Prius. You'll take a bath on the Prius and you're gonna get gouged on the Lexus. I get 42 MPG in our 2010 Prius. I suspect you'll get less in the Lexus but maybe not much less (I get 30mpg in my IS250).
Only 42 mpg in your 2010 Prius? Ouch. Driving styles affect what mileage you get with a Prius or any hybrid. I can achieve a 45 mpg avg in a CT whereas I can get 50 mpg all day long in a Prius. There are some that can get way beyond that for both cars. Its all about driving style.
Old 03-29-11, 02:14 PM
Marcy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the prius 09' for two years and the CT is definitely a more comfortable ride. My commute is about 50 miles a day, and I will have the say that I enjoy my commute much more. The seats hug your body and have lumbar support. When I would travel out of town with the Prius I would feel back ache after a long drive. The navigation system is also better than the Prius. In addition, the sport mode feature comes in handy when driving on an incline or entering the freeway as opposed to the Prius.
Old 03-29-11, 07:48 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven in both, but the CT is a better better and enjoyable ride. The seats are much more comfortable. The more important question is how much your wife hates your Prius and whether she really likes the CT? Many times in my life, I have had to do a similar sacrifice for my lady!
Old 03-30-11, 10:55 AM
ftw
Rookie

Just got a CT200h for the wife and we both love it. She has been driving it for a few weeks now in sport mode and has been averaging 42-44 mpg on mixed city/hwy. It seems to get better mileage when the outside temperature is warmer. When it is colder outside it uses more motor to keep the coolant hot to supply the heater. There is a noticeable difference in acceleration between sport and normal. To me it feels a lot faster when in sport mode. From what I have read all the testing was done in normal mode. The numbers in sport mode are probably a little faster than in normal mode.
Old 04-01-11, 07:17 AM
fasthuh
Lead Lap

I have the 2nd gen Prius, I love that thing and will drive it to the ground. I believe the CT 17" wheels also contributes to the drop in mpg. When people put 17" on the prius they see a 2-3 mpg drop. If you really want the CT and really concerned about the mileage, get some lighter 16" wheels, which night not look as pretty but might help your concern.

On the other hand, you can also put some 17" on your prius which will improve the looks dramatically compared to those gaudy 15" wheels, maybe your wife would appreciate it more.

With that said, stay with the prius and get some wheels , it will be easier than waiting through a backlog of CT orders.
Old 04-02-11, 01:05 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Going along with what fasthuh was saying, the tires themselves on the CT 200h are also sport tires so they have more rolling resistance too which would also account for the drop in MPG. Otherwise, a fun, sporty hybrid w/ luxury features and solid nameplate to back it.

One gripe I have about it is the cargo space, but it is a compact hatchback.

Matt
Old 04-02-11, 10:25 PM
PaPaG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
The CT and Prius are two totally different cars. Both are hybrid of course but they both appeal to different demographics and tastes.

Reasons why you want to upgrade into a CT:

1) Lexus ownership experience. Lexus Loaner car privileges during services is a huge plus.

2) The interior is a lot more comfortable for long drives. The seating position and the seat bolstering are much more comfortable. The steering wheel is much nicer and the interior is cabin much more quieter than the Prius.

3) Fun to drive. Thanks to the seating position and suspension characteristics. Even though you only have 142 hp to work with, you can take the CT on twisty roads and have plenty of fun. You don't have that feeling in the Prius.

4) The CT has a smaller footprint than the Prius so its much easier to get around in city driving and awesome to park in tight spaces.

5) Better warranty. 4 year/50k bumper to bumper and 6 year/70k mile powertrain, 8 year/100k mile warranty for hybrid components.
X2
We own 2 prius' and now a new 200h (just bought it yesterday and have already driven 600 miles in it)...love the car..totally different cars that is for sure...amazing ride quality for sure......we still really like the prius but this is just at another level...and the price is no way near 13k more for the CT......OTD for a base model CT was right at 34k and our last prius OTD was 26k..
Old 04-02-11, 11:06 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ftw
Just got a CT200h for the wife and we both love it. She has been driving it for a few weeks now in sport mode and has been averaging 42-44 mpg on mixed city/hwy. It seems to get better mileage when the outside temperature is warmer. When it is colder outside it uses more motor to keep the coolant hot to supply the heater. There is a noticeable difference in acceleration between sport and normal. To me it feels a lot faster when in sport mode. From what I have read all the testing was done in normal mode. The numbers in sport mode are probably a little faster than in normal mode.
at WOT, the normal mode and eco mode will essentially be the same as sport mode, it will use maximum power.
Old 04-03-11, 11:58 PM
Senna4ever
Pole Position

I went to the Vancouver Autoshow today with a friend and I had a look at the CT. My first impressions were good, but I immediately noticed the cramped rear leg room, and lack of interior storage spaces and smaller cargo area compared to my 2005 Prius. I must say the interior is much nicer though. I am in a similar bind - to buy a new Prius or go with the CT. Prices are quite similar and I would like to own another Lexus for the smoother and quieter ride and dealer service experience. Decisions, decisions....

Oh, I thought it was unfortunate that the CT does not have the solar panels that the Prius has.
Old 04-04-11, 06:36 AM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

makes no sense to trade one hybrid for another as others have said especially if your current one gets better gas mileage and not to mention you will have to cough up xtra for the CT200, since you commute 72 miles a day it makes no sense to trade in the prius
Old 04-04-11, 07:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Phresh2010
makes no sense to trade one hybrid for another as others have said especially if your current one gets better gas mileage and not to mention you will have to cough up xtra for the CT200, since you commute 72 miles a day it makes no sense to trade in the prius
not trading "hybrid for another" makes as much sense as not trading "petrol for petrol".... meaning CT200h and Prius are vastly different vehicles, for instance like IS350 and Camry V6 and trading one for another is completely conceivable.
Old 04-04-11, 07:51 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by exbauer
I was in the same position as you were. I had a guy lined up to buy my Prius IV. I went around to Lexus and test drove it. I have to say I like the way it drives. I am fine loosing a couple of MPG. The one thing I didn't like is the placement of the armrest. It is too far back. If you were driving and have your hand resting on the center console it is where it is hard plastic. It wasn't comfortable. There were also things like the rear seats are really cramped, no leg room when I had my seat comfortable, no center arm rest, small cargo area. Also, it gets pretty costly if you option it out. But, it sure is more fun to drive than the Prius. In the end I stuck with my Prius.
The HS is probably a more logical upgrade. The CT is designed to compete in the compact hatchback segment, whereas the Prius is a mid-size.
Old 04-04-11, 12:11 PM
koric
Driver

I say do it. It'll boost your psyche. No, what if's. Your wife will love it so she'll be happier. If she's happier, then you know you'll be happier. You already have second thoughts on the Prius. Sell it now while you can get more for it. Don't look back. You also get the Lexus badge.

IMO, the Prius is more practical. More leg room front and rear, bigger trunk, more mpg. Lower cost of maintenance.

Btw, does the CT require premium gas?

Quick Reply: Should I trade in my Prius? Please help