CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

What bugs you the most about your CT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-14, 04:36 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raidin
I don't know how accurate this is, or if it applies only to some hybrids, like the CT, but I have purposefully run my 2012 Prius C out of gas, and it started up and ran normally after adding fuel.
here you go

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...s-battery-dies

it also mentioned somewhere in the manual

the car hybrid system will shut off to prevent further damage to it when you run out of gas
Old 04-07-14, 04:50 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
here you go

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...s-battery-dies

it also mentioned somewhere in the manual

the car hybrid system will shut off to prevent further damage to it when you run out of gas
According to this article, this happens when you run out of gas AND your battery is dead. You didn't mention this before.
Old 04-08-14, 02:16 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raidin
According to this article, this happens when you run out of gas AND your battery is dead. You didn't mention this before.
nah, the point is that the car will never let you run down the battery to dead

and I quote

"However—and this is important—the Prius won't let you drive the main battery down to absolutely no charge. When the battery becomes discharged to a certain point, the car is programmed to fire up the gasoline engine, which normally would recharge the battery as it propels the car. If you're out of gas, though, the Prius will try (and fail) three times to start the engine, and then it will go totally dead. Once this happens, a fault code must be reset in the car's engine computer before it can be started again. So even if you put gas in the tank, the car would need a technician to reset the code before you're on your way."
Old 04-08-14, 03:15 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

and I quote

"However—and this is important—the Prius won't let you drive the main battery down to absolutely no charge. When the battery becomes discharged to a certain point, the car is programmed to fire up the gasoline engine, which normally would recharge the battery as it propels the car. If you're out of gas, though, the Prius will try (and fail) three times to start the engine, and then it will go totally dead. Once this happens, a fault code must be reset in the car's engine computer before it can be started again. So even if you put gas in the tank, the car would need a technician to reset the code before you're on your way."
Sounds like it would be handy to carry a tool in your glovebox that can reset the engine codes then, eh? Check out Carista (link in my signature below)
Old 04-08-14, 03:37 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

and I quote

Strange that they would state that. I wonder if the information is out of date now, or again, only apply to some hybrids.

Regardless, I ran my car out of gas, tried to get it to switch to EV mode to get to a gas station, which didn't work, then filled the tank with a little gas from a gas can, and it started right up. No problems, no error codes.
Old 06-04-14, 08:45 AM
lonestar24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I will say it is my wife's car, and she LOVES it! I am sure she would have some "gripes" but I didn't ask her before chiming in with mine. Nevertheless, here are some that come to mind for me:

Regen squeel- I tend to drive without the radio, and this is quite annoyoing. However, at 55, I am glad to know I can still hear!

8.5 gallons at fillup. I know it is supposed to be 11.5 gallon tank, so thats 3 gallons of unused fuel. During her work week, it is inconsequential. but when we are traveling "out west" (west Texas and New Mexico) stations can be few and far between, and prices per gallon can vary wildly. Not wanting a problem on the road, I would just pull in wherever and pay whatever. After all, it was just 8.5 gallons! LOL! That said, I had heard or read about not letting it run out of gas (hat tip to the clarifications recently above) and I might stretch it out a bit further in the future.

Poor bluetooth sound- wife calls me every day when she is on the way home from work. She has to turn ac vents down and away from her so as not to sound like she is standing behind a jet engine. Hey Lexus! This is REALLY annoying, esp when I am IN the passenger seat, she is on the phone, and I'm freezing off body parts while the AC is trying to keep the rest of the car cool in the Texas heat.

The onboard audio system clips off first part of the instructions when using Apple map app while listening to audio via bluetooth or USB. For example: Listening to tunes on iPod function of iPhone that is plugged into the USB. Map app kicks in with instructions and mutes song. the first words of instructions are lost somewhere. I think an update was done with either Apple or the car and it has gotten better, but is not 100% there. The phone alone never has this problem.

I tend to let my wife drive her car, as there is no "seat position memory" on her car and I get frustrated having to change all her settings, and she frustrated changing the mess I created for her. I'm' 6'1 and there is no height adjustment of passenger seat, so I have to lean the seat back a bit to clear the roof. Not good if you have rear seat passengers. Evan a manual seat bottom tilt would be good.

Storage space is quoted by Lexus to be the same as my Volvo S80 trunk. That is simply not possible. I can put a couple of teenagers in that trunk. No way I can fit two teens behind the back seat of this car! I'm looking to add a receiver hitch so I can add a cargo tray.
Old 06-04-14, 10:04 AM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

when i plug my iphone 4s into the usb, it will automatically start playing track 1 on my iphone. anyway to disable that?
Old 06-04-14, 10:17 AM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypebeast
when i plug my iphone 4s into the usb, it will automatically start playing track 1 on my iphone. anyway to disable that?
I'd like to disable that as well. However I have a feeling that this may be an "apple" thing and not necessarily a "Lexus" thing, since in my other car (Mercedes) it does the same.
Old 06-04-14, 10:55 AM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by edgalang
I'd like to disable that as well. However I have a feeling that this may be an "apple" thing and not necessarily a "Lexus" thing, since in my other car (Mercedes) it does the same.
agreed.

Eventually, i'll throw an mp3 on there with dead air/no sound so that is the first track that "plays" until i find what i really want to listen to but i've just been to lazy.
Old 06-09-14, 04:15 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Seat memory position bothers you ? Seriously.

I think pushing a button is sooo hard my fingers get sooo tired. I grew up without some cars having power steering , power brakes and power windows surely that would cripple today's generation. I remember cars where you started turning the wheel before the turn came up , true. I also remember seats that felt like hard cardboard. I remember cars that had no air bags or electronic ignitions. Push button starts will be next people will say its soo hard to push that button we need an app for that. -or remote starters.....
I remember windshield wipers that would not clean rain off the windshield if it snowed the motor would die. I also remember carburetors flooding and awful cold weather starts in fact some cars came with jumper cables. I remember walking to the pay phone or home to get help. I remember lousy gas mileage and huge gas tanks also some cars would make you sea sick. I remember digging through the glove box for a map and having no clue what direction I was headed. I remember things that would wear this generation out before they got out of the driveway on a winters day.

Seriously , I cannot complain I love my little buggy and accept its quirks because for me they are not quirks but luxuries.

All joking aside I don't really have any complaints. The car is what it is and I knew what it was when I plunked down the scratch for it.
Old 06-09-14, 03:28 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink Can't Brake Torque

I figured out today that you can't brake torque these electric cars for a more authoritative launch. I thought I might be able to hold the brake while applying the throttle and light the ICE thereby avoiding the lag in acceleration experienced when stepping on the gas from a stop. No such luck. The car will only begin to accelerate if your foot is off the brake. Oh well, 0-60 isn't this car's claim to fame anyhow.

In the category of things that don't bug me about my CT is the 50 mpg average fuel economy I'm getting lately.

Now this is what I'm talking about!

StillLine
Old 06-09-14, 07:18 PM
sakanaou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dgstan
My biggest gripe is the location of the USB port. Why put it in the middle of the console? I have a dedicated iPod I use exclusively in the car. I hate having wires laying around or the thought of my iPod sitting out in plain sight all the time.

It took about 2 hours, a Dremel with a flexible extension, my daughter's help, and a moderately bloody pinky, but I was finally able to rout an Apple USB cable from the port to the inside of the cubby. Of course, I had to "re-engineer" the cable to make it lower profile so the cover over the ports would still close.

I imagine their thought was that you'd be using your phone in the provided device holder, so you'd want the port near that. However, I don't really see myself needing to charge my iPhone while I'm driving, and if I did, my iPod would already be using the USB port, so charging would have to be done through the 12V outlet.
wow got the picture of your work? really wanna see how you done it