CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Disappointed in pricing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 09:19 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es
i understand your point...but when comparing this to the Prius V, what will make the prospective Prius owner want to jump into the CT200h for about 4-5k more? at the $33k price range, there will be no Nav or options that the Pirus V offers at $28-29k. to really make the comparison somewhat level, the CT will be, as you said, $40k...which is ridiculous to me.

in the end, this WILL be compared to the Prius (whether we want to believe it or not) and I doubt the sporty feel, or the L badge, will make them choose the CT over the Prius. the only real badge most care about is the one that says Hybrid, which the Prius exceeds in at this time (by about 10mpg).

just my thoughts...
Personally with this car I don't care what the Prius owner may think or may do. This car is one of the few Hybrids that will appeal to people other than Prius owners. I personally have not and probably will not ever buy a Prius based on its looks and style alone. The only Hybrids I am interested in is the normal looking Hybrids, and the Camry was my top choice for a while, but its MPG isn't that great for $30K. The CT200H however for $30K and an MPG of 40+ and with looks of a normal car is definitely on my short list.

There are many of us that want better MPG, wanted for a long time to get into a Hybrid, but still like or classic car style. Unless we paid a high price for the LS, GS, RX Hybrid there was really nothing else in a moderate price range other than ugly funky looking Prius and Insight looking cars.
Old 02-09-11, 03:45 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Personally with this car I don't care what the Prius owner may think or may do. This car is one of the few Hybrids that will appeal to people other than Prius owners. I personally have not and probably will not ever buy a Prius based on its looks and style alone. The only Hybrids I am interested in is the normal looking Hybrids, and the Camry was my top choice for a while, but its MPG isn't that great for $30K. The CT200H however for $30K and an MPG of 40+ and with looks of a normal car is definitely on my short list.

There are many of us that want better MPG, wanted for a long time to get into a Hybrid, but still like or classic car style. Unless we paid a high price for the LS, GS, RX Hybrid there was really nothing else in a moderate price range other than ugly funky looking Prius and Insight looking cars.
let's say for some odd reason (LoL) gas hits the mid $4's-$5 this summer and analysts indicate no significant reduction.

will the looks of the car still restrain you from almost a 10mpg difference that the Prius offers?

to me, if you are trying to get the most for you money...the only looks or badge you care about is the one labeled "Hybrid" and that it offers the best MPG. NO ONE is checking out this car because it's firstly a good-looking car THEN offers a hybrid (notice, no "Sport" mentioned). they are drawn to this vehicle because it is a Hybrid and in the end, majority of ppl (and you are an exception) wanting a Hybrid will be looking for the best MPG numbers, regardless of style.
Old 02-09-11, 07:17 AM
katman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked out the CT at the Washington Auto show this past weekend and I will definately take one out for a test spin. For me, the Prius isn't the only alternative. I traded in my 2010 VW Tourareg TDI (25mpg) for my 2011 RX450H after many years of driving vw diesels. They are great vehicles and I love the diesel performance, but I found the average VW tech can't really work on them. I still have a TDI sportwagon that gets about 40 mpg so I'll look at the CT as a possible replacement. The CT runs on regular gas, which is less than diesel. Big question for me is cost of service and reliability. It will be a commuter vehicle. So, how reliable will the powerplant be?
Old 02-09-11, 08:35 AM
Bob259
Driver

Originally Posted by katman
........... Big question for me is cost of service and reliability. It will be a commuter vehicle. So, how reliable will the powerplant be?
Seeing it's the same power plant that is used in the Prius it is VERY reliable. In NYC there are a lot in use as cabs and there are many Prius's with well over 150K miles on them with just normal service. There was just a test I saw (Consumer Reports or PS) where they compaired a first gen Prius to the current one and there was little difference. Of all the Hybrids Toyota is the best.

I too am considering the CT when they finally arrive.
Old 02-09-11, 08:52 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

let's say for some odd reason (LoL) gas hits the mid $4's-$5 this summer and analysts indicate no significant reduction.

will the looks of the car still restrain you from almost a 10mpg difference that the Prius offers?

to me, if you are trying to get the most for you money...the only looks or badge you care about is the one labeled "Hybrid" and that it offers the best MPG. NO ONE is checking out this car because it's firstly a good-looking car THEN offers a hybrid (notice, no "Sport" mentioned). they are drawn to this vehicle because it is a Hybrid and in the end, majority of ppl (and you are an exception) wanting a Hybrid will be looking for the best MPG numbers, regardless of style.
Gas has been around $3.65+ for the last 2 years. The last 6 months it has climbed and I paid $3.85. We already have places in our state where gas has been over $4.00+ for a months now. If gas hits $4.5 a gallon I still would not buy the Prius at its current looks.

Gas does play a role in what car I choose, that is why I sold my 19-20 MPG GS430 and am looking into a 40+ MPG CT200h.

I strongly believe that the hybrid market has a lot more potential people who are willing to buy when prices of hybrids come down a little and when you have more normal looking options. Most of the friends and coworkers who I talk to have not bought a hybrid yet because they are either too expensive or too ugly. In in laws passed over the Prius and Insight abd bought the Camry hybrid. Why? It doesn't get that great MPG, but it looks like a Camry and still gets better MPGs than most.

If we all cared purely about MPG, than most of us here would never have bought a luxury car.

I'm not that young anymore (Approaching 40) but style still plays a major role in my car choices. If gas prices reaches $5.00 a gallon I'd buy a cheap DD and save the dedicated sports car for the weekend. I will say $5.00 a gallon is a tipping point though. Was it in 2008 when we last had the high gas prices? Gas got close to $5.00 then and I bought a moped.
Old 02-09-11, 12:08 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

I was shocked to see a Yellow CT200h on the road today while taking my son to school. I didn't even know they arrived here in Hawaii yet. I thought it would be March. Anyway, It's a nice looking hatch. I'm definitely more secure about a possible purchase now. I'm not really a hatch guy but I can drive this one.

On a side note, I have to amend my post above when I said I would never buy a Prius. During my stop and go hour long drive taking my son to school, I often check out all the cars and wonder which one I could buy and which I could not. Looking at the Prius' on the road today I though I could never buy such an ugly car. Then a Nissan Cube rolled by and it made the Prius style not so bad. If I had to choose between a Prius and a Nissan Cube I'd take the Prius all day because the Cube has to be the ugliest car on the road today.
Old 02-09-11, 01:40 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

NO ONE is checking out this car because it's firstly a good-looking car THEN offers a hybrid (notice, no "Sport" mentioned). they are drawn to this vehicle because it is a Hybrid and in the end, majority of ppl (and you are an exception) wanting a Hybrid will be looking for the best MPG numbers, regardless of style.
personally i'm drawn to this car because it looks good. the fact it's got 40+ mpg is added bonus. Sure people who strictly care about mpg will choose the Prius over the CT, both similarly optioned. But there are those who would be willing to sacrifice some mpg for a stylish car, as well as those who are interested in a nice looking hatch (i.e. crossing shopping the CT, A3, etc but not the Prius), and the CT with its mpg could be an attractive factor among the competition.
Old 02-09-11, 03:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

more of a reason why another engine option is needed in the CT line. screw the b/s of this sporty-hybrid gimmick with the CT and throw in an I4 comparable to the K-series from Honda...then tout sporty all you want!
Well this is a Lexus, not a Honda. Its about the Lexus experience. Let me ask you, have you ever owned a new Lexus or ever experience the perks and goodies that new Lexus owners receive?
Old 02-09-11, 04:57 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Well this is a Lexus, not a Honda. Its about the Lexus experience. Let me ask you, have you ever owned a new Lexus or ever experience the perks and goodies that new Lexus owners receive?
yes I have, most recent was a 2006 GS300 prior to it being involved in an accident and stepping down to a 2002 GS300. before that, my household has owned every generation ES up until the newest generation.

i know all they have to offer and the perks/goodies and so forth...

and I'm not saying it should be a Honda, please check my sig for that reference, but a powerful 4-cyl motor would of made the CT line-up VERY appealing!
Old 02-22-11, 09:04 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this car was built off the matrix frame?
Old 02-22-11, 09:49 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

The pricing disappointment is going to get worse. With the US dollar weak, luxury car prices are climbing faster than inflation.

In the non luxury car market we are a bit insulated from this due to aggressive pricing from American and Korean companies.
Old 02-22-11, 09:55 AM
Bob259
Driver

Originally Posted by *Batman*
The pricing disappointment is going to get worse. With the US dollar weak, luxury car prices are climbing faster than inflation.

In the non luxury car market we are a bit insulated from this due to aggressive pricing from American and Korean companies.
Let’s not forget the gas prices rising and all the dire predictions of $5.00+ a gallon gas by summer which is only fueling the dealers to price gouge on the high mileage cars and lower your trade ins to way below KBB.
Old 02-22-11, 01:17 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

THe prius is ugly as hell i would never ever ever buy one. The new ct is pretty cool looking and alot roomier than one would think and at around $30k thought it was kinna cheap. If i was in the new car market i would look at one. Sorry op your not gonna get a lexus at a toyota price.
Old 02-23-11, 08:11 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Australia

Toyota's Prius hybrid faces another enemy from within after Lexus revealed its new CT200h petrol-electric luxury hatchback will start from $39,990 when it goes on sale next month.

Prius sales are already suffering following last year's introduction of the cheaper and larger Hybrid Camry (from $36,990), and the pricing for the smallest model yet from Toyota's luxury arm will put further pressure on the world's most famous hybrid.

Lexus's new CT200h will offer buyers more equipment and premium appeal for just $90 more than its parent company's entry-level Prius. The range-topping CT200h Sports Luxury is priced identically to Toyota's top-end Prius iTech, at $55,900.

The CT200h will also compete against conventionally engined compact luxury rivals including Alfa Romeo's new Giulietta (priced from $36,990), BMW's 1-Series (from $41,200) and Audi's A3 (from $36,400).

4 trim levels will be offered.

The entry-level Prestige model just scrapes under the $40,000 mark, while offering a considerably comprehensive equipment list. The entry-level model includes smart key technology, dual-climate control, 16-inch alloys, daytime running lamps, cruise control, USB connectivity and metallic paint at no extra cost.

If that list isn't long enough, Prestige buyers can tick the Leather pack option box for $3000, which includes leather-trimmed interior, 17-inch wheels, heated front seats, a reversing camera and auto-dimming interior mirror. A moon roof is also available for $2000. Safety-wise, Prestige models offer 8 airbags as standard.

The next model up is the Luxury (priced at $48,990) which will likely gain all the optional extras listed above, including a reversing camera.

There's also the F Sport model, which adds a sports body kit and dark alloys as well as interior trim additions and more aggressive suspension tune. It misses out on the moon-roof, though (a $2500 option).

The range-topping Sports Luxury model costs $55,900 and adds radar-driven cruise control and Lexus's new pre-collision safety system. Sports Luxury buyers can add the F Sport body kit for $1500.

All CT200h models are fitted with a revised version of the 1.8-litre petrol-electric powerplant used in the Prius, which offers slightly better fuel consumption of 3.8L/100km.

The CT200h goes on sale in March. It will be offered with a 4-year/100,000km warranty and 8-year battery warranty.
Old 02-24-11, 12:32 AM
JForce
Rookie

Just wait till Lexus offers cash back, or till a new model comes out that will eventually bring the prices down of this overpriced car. Just keep what you currently have for another 2 years.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in pricing...