CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

CT200h's drivetrain

Old 08-17-10, 06:39 AM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default CT200h's drivetrain

Is anyone else disappointed about the CT being FWD? I actually considered buying a new model (all my other cars I bought used) when I read about it, but I'm a fan of being able to spin my back tires. So it was out of the picture.

Anyone else have that take on it?
Old 08-17-10, 12:47 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

It's essentially running the Prius drivetrain, you wouldn't be spinning anything anyway
Old 08-18-10, 07:31 PM
LexFather

The car is built for MPG in mind with fun. Outside the RWD 1 series, everything else in that class is FWD. Audi offers AWD with the A3 but then it gets to be 35k-40k easy.

Yeah it would have been nice to see it be RWD but that would have required a new platform.
Old 08-18-10, 08:44 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The car is built for MPG in mind with fun. Outside the RWD 1 series, everything else in that class is FWD. Audi offers AWD with the A3 but then it gets to be 35k-40k easy.

Yeah it would have been nice to see it be RWD but that would have required a new platform.
Isn't the CT200h on a NEW platform? But, yeah, this this CT200h platform is supposedly the next gen Corolla platform, it has to be FWD. I am OK with FWD as long as Lexus keeps it's promise that this is the sportiest Lexus, not named ISF. That is a tall order/proclamation considering that this is FWD platform.
Old 08-18-10, 08:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Isn't the CT200h on a NEW platform? But, yeah, this this CT200h platform is supposedly the next gen Corolla platform, it has to be FWD. I am OK with FWD as long as Lexus keeps it's promise that this is the sportiest Lexus, not named ISF. That is a tall order/proclamation considering that this is FWD platform.
Where have you read this is the next gen Corolla platform?

http://www.lexusgb-press.co.uk/prote...0/61442lex.htm

PRIME POSITION FOR A SPORTY DRIVE
Lexus focuses on ideal driving position for new CT 200h

KEY POINTS

Lexus configures ideal driving position for new CT 200h full hybrid – the sportiest set-up of any regular Lexus production model
Driver hip point brought as close as possible to the car’s centre of gravity
New air intake system designed to ensure bonnet profile can maintain pedestrian protection quality without compromising forward vision from the low-set driver’s seat
Driver’s seat includes additional lateral and lumbar support
Design enables drivers to make the most of CT 200h’s agile handling and responsive performance
The moment drivers get behind the wheel of the new CT 200h, there will be no mistaking the sporty character of Lexus’s debut model in the luxury small car market. Great attention has been paid to perfecting the ideal driving position, with seat design and location, steering wheel position and even the angle of the pedals calculated for the best possible results.

Lexus considered this element of the full hybrid CT 200h to be so important, it even came up with a new engine air intake design so that the bonnet profile could be kept low to ensure a clear view from the low-set driver’s seat, without compromising pedestrian safety performance.

The result is the sportiest driving position of any mainstream Lexus production vehicle, much in line with that of the high performance IS F. Central to this achievement is the low hip point of the driver’s seat, which has been brought as close as possible to the car’s centre of gravity.

Low hip point

This is complemented by a new sports steering wheel with a wide grip cross-section, set at a lower, 21-degree angle. The accelerator and brake pedal are also angled to take the lower hip point into account.

Optimised steering column angle

The driver’s seat design – like that of the IS F – has extra lateral and lumbar support built-in to hold the driver firmly and comfortably in place as he or she makes the most of the car’s dynamic performance.

Focus on lateral support

With agile handling, responsive steering and a choice of driving modes, the driver, CT 200h demonstrates that Lexus’s full hybrid drive technology can deliver great driving pleasure as well as environmentally efficient performance.

Lexus will present the CT 200h – the new gateway model for the Lexus range – at the Paris motor show. UK sales will start early next year.
Old 08-19-10, 04:23 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Hmm, my mistake, it was someone else guess/theory: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lex...-platform.html

Still, it brings up a good point...if this "all-new" platform is indeed this sporty...where else is this platform going to be used for?? I doubt that Lexus went through all this trouble just for ONE car.
Old 10-22-10, 07:53 PM
MsJoanne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I'm very disappointed

I'm looking to trade down to a vehicle smaller than my BMW X3 and one that is a hybrid. I'm disappointed that this is FWD. It's as if Toyota never heard of snow. I would have gotten the SportCross years back if they offered it in AWD. The CT is everything I wanted but for AWD. That may be the killer for me. I'm disappointed. I thought this was IT! I'll look at the CT, but it's definitely not a DEFINITELY anymore which it was until I saw AWD wasn't an option. Maybe when the Q5 comes out.

So sad. I really thought this was the car for me.
Old 10-22-10, 08:27 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I know you said that a couple months ago, but I recall reading in either Motor Trend or Automobile that BMW will most likely be producing a FWD 1-series in the near future.
Old 10-23-10, 09:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MsJoanne
I'm looking to trade down to a vehicle smaller than my BMW X3 and one that is a hybrid. I'm disappointed that this is FWD. It's as if Toyota never heard of snow. I would have gotten the SportCross years back if they offered it in AWD. The CT is everything I wanted but for AWD. That may be the killer for me. I'm disappointed. I thought this was IT! I'll look at the CT, but it's definitely not a DEFINITELY anymore which it was until I saw AWD wasn't an option. Maybe when the Q5 comes out.

So sad. I really thought this was the car for me.
Welcome to CL? Hopefully AWD is added as well as more engine choices as options in the future.

Originally Posted by Mugen_1
I know you said that a couple months ago, but I recall reading in either Motor Trend or Automobile that BMW will most likely be producing a FWD 1-series in the near future.
Yes what we know now.
80% of 1 series owners think their car is FWD (its RWD)
BMW will have FWD Mini based car below the 1 series
BMW is working on 2 cylinder engines.
Old 10-28-10, 02:22 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

People are disappointed with whats on paper. Those who get to experience it will enjoy the ride, regardless of it's powertrain roots.
Old 10-28-10, 02:23 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Actually, the CT rides on an offspring of the "MC" platform which is already used by the Corolla, tC, Avensis, Prius and etc.

As an IS F owner, I enjoyed driving the CT 200h in various conditions in France last month. No joke.
Old 10-28-10, 10:30 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

They could've put you in a Pinto and you would've enjoyed driving in France Try to get them to shoehorn the ventilated seats in Ryan...
Old 11-09-10, 08:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Allen K
They could've put you in a Pinto and you would've enjoyed driving in France Try to get them to shoehorn the ventilated seats in Ryan...
Haha no way! The ventilated seats are a no go unfortunately. Trust me, i've lobbied it to them, but not in the plans. In my opinion, ventilated seats wouldn't work because it would do 2 big things. 1) raise the seat height which in turn decrease headroom and 2) drive up the cost of the CT.