CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Autoblogs first ride in the new Lexus CT200h

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 05:02 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very positive review. Lexus needs to kill the HS now and let this be the sole dedicated hybrid model.
Old 07-01-10, 06:32 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Agree...this thing makes the HS look like the haphazard, halfassed attempt that it really is.
Old 07-01-10, 06:38 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by venom21
Looking at the user comments, of course.

"It should be a Toyota"
"Looks like a Matrix"
"Looks like an Auris"
"Golf and Alfa have way more presence"

I fear this is going to be the reception from most enthusiasts...

To be honest, it does look very Toyotaish. I see more Euro Auris in it than Matrix, though.

Not to long ago Lexus was doing a great job distancing themselves from that "Toyota look", especially in regards to their sedans (their SUVs on the other hand...). Then came the HS250h - which does look like a European Toyota Avensis. I have to admit that the few times I've seen the new Avensis on the road here, it looked like a Lexus HS250h to me - and I consider myself someone who's pretty good at identifying cars.

Nevertheless, it looks like an exciting new product from Lexus, especially in regards to the driving experience, if it shall turn out to be true. It will be interesting to see how this car will stack up to the BMW 1 series, which is generally treated as the dynamic benchmark in its class being the only RWD car.
Old 07-01-10, 06:58 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
In my opinion, I think the two tone brings some life into the interior. I'm not a big fan of two tone myself, but it looks better than the stale all black interior shown at the unveiling. I do agree that it could use a bit more wood but hey this is suppose to be a sporty model so its okay. Just my 2 cents.
I agree about the wood, especially considering there really isn't any other place to put more wood. The center console has too much going on and if they did a trim surrounding it, it would look like a cheap stick on.
Old 07-01-10, 07:00 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by encore888
I see your point, it would look more like the Kia pic posted with a single line connecting all the way across to the rear. However, it looks to me that the different lines were intentional. In other photos, it appears the rear crease meets up with the door handle, they deliberately had the second crease built into the rear doors:
That crease from the taillights to the rear doors also runs parallel to the crease coming from the hatch spoiler.
Old 07-01-10, 07:37 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll say it again I'm really liking the new ct
Old 07-01-10, 07:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
To be honest, it does look very Toyotaish. I see more Euro Auris in it than Matrix, though.

Not to long ago Lexus was doing a great job distancing themselves from that "Toyota look", especially in regards to their sedans (their SUVs on the other hand...). Then came the HS250h - which does look like a European Toyota Avensis. I have to admit that the few times I've seen the new Avensis on the road here, it looked like a Lexus HS250h to me - and I consider myself someone who's pretty good at identifying cars.

Nevertheless, it looks like an exciting new product from Lexus, especially in regards to the driving experience, if it shall turn out to be true. It will be interesting to see how this car will stack up to the BMW 1 series, which is generally treated as the dynamic benchmark in its class being the only RWD car.
Don't stop there. The ENTIRE CLASS looks like Toyotas. That is one danger of this market, many people will automatically dismiss them based on size and looks. The A/B class, 1 series hatches, A1, A3 and now CT all are trying to look premium in a very compact "Toyota" package.

I also find it hard to believe you confuse the Avensis and HS as they really don't look alike and Europe doesn't even sell the HS.
Old 07-01-10, 07:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if Lexus should make a non-hybrid CT250? Pricing it less than the IS250...
Old 07-01-10, 08:57 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I wonder if Lexus should make a non-hybrid CT250? Pricing it less than the IS250...
And pair it to a 6 speed manual. Win.
They could actually use the 2.5L 4 cyl. from the Camry and the 6 speed manual.
Old 07-01-10, 09:02 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

The C-Pillar looks odd to me too. Not bad, just odd.
Old 07-01-10, 09:25 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^ Agree...this thing makes the HS look like the haphazard, halfassed attempt that it really is.
Agreed, the HS looks as boring as a Corolla. In this case, the design of the HS just looks decent or average BUT THAT'S IT I'm afraid. No wow factor in the exterior design AT ALL.

Which is a shame cause its Toyota relative (over JDM land) looks 1000x better:

With that said, with the lame design of the HS, I'd rather suggest that Lexus kill it and let the CT replace it.

Much better choice IMHO.
Old 07-01-10, 10:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i like the CT. if roomy enough and priced right, i want one.
Old 07-01-10, 11:46 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I also find it hard to believe you confuse the Avensis and HS as they really don't look alike and Europe doesn't even sell the HS.

When a European Toyota Avensis comes your way from the distance, it looks a lot like an HS250h. Only as it gets closer and eventually passes you do you realize that it's not an HS250h.
Old 07-01-10, 12:48 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to love the CT, but i just like it so far. Price/mpg will decide which way i go at this point i think... and maybe a drive From the figures post on page 1 of this thread, it gets ~50mpg.

IMO, it's going to be hard to justify buying this car above $30k when a prius can be had for at least $7k cheaper (assuming the price of this car starts at $30k) without all the bells and whistles. But we'll see when the official specs come out...
Old 07-01-10, 06:13 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Don't stop there. The ENTIRE CLASS looks like Toyotas. That is one danger of this market, many people will automatically dismiss them based on size and looks. The A/B class, 1 series hatches, A1, A3 and now CT all are trying to look premium in a very compact "Toyota" package.

Uh, no...
The Italians, French, and Germans look distinctly European and absolutely nothing like their Japanese counterparts.
I could see the argument that the A3 looks like a VW, but that's not exactly an insult.

Quick Reply: Autoblogs first ride in the new Lexus CT200h